• The 2020 Season

#29507  by cavedweller2
 Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:24 pm
Lived here until I got married at 30 without a/c and worked outside until I was 45. This summer has not been hot and humid. Yet.
 #29509  by Affirm
 Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:54 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:57 pm
Not everyone is going to take the vaccine. More people don’t take the flu vaccine than take it. We are not going to eliminate this virus. Like Paul C said the goal has gone from flattening the curve, minimizing fatalities and hospitalizations to zero cases. Not happening. Yes you seemed happy to report a lot of people want to cancel the season. I could be wrong.
So you are saying that it seems to you that I do have a problem, although you also are saying you could be wrong. OK.
 #29510  by apaladin
 Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:13 pm
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Not everyone is going to take the vaccine. More people don’t take the flu vaccine than take it. We are not going to eliminate this virus. Like Paul C said the goal has gone from flattening the curve, minimizing fatalities and hospitalizations to zero cases. Not happening. Yes you seemed happy to report a lot of people want to cancel the season. I could be wrong.
So you are saying that it seems to you that I do have a problem, although you also are saying you could be wrong. OK.
No I said I think you will be happy when the season is cancelled and ED continues her agenda, thats all. Hope I am wrong.
 #29511  by apaladin
 Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:17 pm
But at some point we will just decide to live with it. I think that will suddenly become acceptable in mid November.

On the testing subject, why test college athletes weekly? What makes them so special? What about HS athletes? What about regular students who walk down crowded halls? And forget about Covid, young people are more likely to be killed by flu. Should we rethink having school during flu season?

Two great points Furmanoid!! If the NCAA mandates once a eeek testing they should pay for it.
 #29512  by Roundball
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:53 am
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
No I said I think you will be happy when the season is cancelled and ED continues her agenda, thats all. Hope I am wrong.
What is this Dr. Elizabeth Davis agenda that you refer to?
 #29513  by Roundball
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:16 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:54 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:18 pm
Interesting article on how the costs of weekly testing will affect many college football programs. There are several quotes from the UTC AD. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... ll-season/
Everyone else gets free testing, why can't college athletes? Just more fuel for Ms. Davis to cancel FU football.
According to federal guidance issued June 23, insurers are required to cover individuals who show symptoms or have been exposed to someone who is symptomatic; so-called surveillance testing is not part of the mandate.
 #29515  by Furmanoid
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:17 am
Roundball wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:53 am
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
What is this Dr. Elizabeth Davis agenda that you refer to?
There is an agenda. And it does involve cuts to men’s athletics. This much we know. But beyond that, we don’t know. She is trying to solve some problem, but we don’t know exactly what it is, so it’s hard to say whether what she’s doing really makes sense. Is it really about money or is it a Title IX thing? Maybe they’ve had this really sketchy song and dance to claim Title IX compliance (even though scholarships are way out of whack) and maybe that really made her uneasy and maybe the “no money, Covid blah blah” was just cover to make needed changes. (Lots or organizations would rather not say “We are making changes in order to comply with the law after years of noncompliance”.) If that’s the agenda, I have no issue with it. Regs are regs.

The official story seems to be that the athletic program had become unsustainable. Ok but it’s been a huge money loser on paper forever. Why the sudden concern? And why cut a couple of sports that probably could have and should have been breaking even instead of just making cost adjustments? Did that really have any meaningful financial impact? You have to admit it was a puzzling approach. There would need be way, way, way more cutting to make any real difference.

She doesn’t have to give any answers and she won’t. But she does have some sort of agenda good or bad.
apaladin liked this
 #29518  by JohnW
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:29 am
I don't get why everyone is looking for some"Q Anon" conspiracy. Furman had a long term problem caused by the male/female ration being out of whack.. i.e lose a men's sport or add another women's sport. Goodbye lax. There is a hopefully short term problem of lost revenue. Sports being tuition driven cuts had to be made. They decided on baseball. I hate it but it's not that hard to understand.
FUKA61, Roundball, din23 liked this
 #29519  by Furmanoid
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:12 am
Not a conspiracy, just an agenda. Everybody has an agenda. Just curious what hers is since we know that we’re only halfway done with the first round of scholarship cuts, and now our most expensive sport is looking at possibly zero revenue to defray its costs.
 #29520  by Flagman
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:33 am
Getting back to the primary topic of this thread, Gov. McMaster has indicated that he might not allow college football in the state this fall because of the rising numbers. He failed to mention that his own lack of leadership and responsibility for the general welfare of the citizens of South Carolina is one of the contributing factors (certainly not the only one, however) to the ever increasing positives. How many of us noticed that Myrtle Beach was on the national news this morning? Beaches packed, no masks. While California and Florida closed their beaches, Henry chose to leave our beaches open, probably getting his directives straight from the White House. It's apparent that Henry drank the Kool-Aid.
 #29527  by JohnW
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:53 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:12 am
Not a conspiracy, just an agenda. Everybody has an agenda. Just curious what hers is since we know that we’re only halfway done with the first round of scholarship cuts, and now our most expensive sport is looking at possibly zero revenue to defray its costs.
I think the agenda right now is to keep the doors open. Prior to the virus, the right sizing moves, were because Furman was spending to much on sports. I take the AD at his word that the plan was to fund raise to close the hole and no sports were to be cut, but the world is very different now. I think they'll do everything they can to keep the status quo, but if the fall season is called off look out.
 #29531  by fufanatic
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:34 pm
I'm going to try to make this my last COVID post on this board because it's downright exhausting. I desperately want sports in the fall. I hope it happens. But the flippant nature by some at the seriousness of this pandemic is really disheartening. 130K dead. Heading towards 3 million positive tests. And no, it's not just high-risk and old people that are getting sick and/or dying. And it's not just a bunch of no symptoms positives. One of the best baseball players on the planet in Freddie Freeman is having a hell of a time with the virus. I've read about people with permanent scarring of the lungs. That it took months to get back to working out and feeling normal. We need to listen to experts. Yes what the experts have said has changed, but that's science. Science changes and new research can completely shift the thinking on particular subjects. Remember when blood letting was a thing? I hope everyone on here stays safe, and I hope we have a solution soon.
Roundball, din23 liked this
 #29533  by bj93
 Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:48 pm
I don't think there's much chance of 2020 happening. My prayer now is that FU has a 2021 and beyond football season and I'm far from certain about that.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.