• The 2020 Season

#29490  by Furmanoid
 Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:02 am
Roundball wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:39 pm
More discussion on spring football. Sooners’ Lincoln Riley Is Latest To Say 2021 Spring Football Season Is ‘Doable’
https://www.inquisitr.com/6146498/linco ... l-sooners/

https://nypost.com/2020/07/04/college-f ... ronavirus/
If they push it back, I wish they’d start up right after the Masters in November and play right through the holidays. The big crowds wouldn’t show up until Jan when school reopened.

I wonder if the high school leagues are thinking the same thing? I doubt it is doable because not only are there lots of 2 sport athletes, there are also lots of 2 sport refs. At schools with good teams most guys only get playing time in their last two years. It just stinks to think of taking one of those away. It already happened to baseball and softball (and parents are very unhappy). We may see angry sports parents riots.
 #29494  by apaladin
 Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:54 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:18 pm
Interesting article on how the costs of weekly testing will affect many college football programs. There are several quotes from the UTC AD. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... ll-season/
Everyone else gets free testing, why can't college athletes? Just more fuel for Ms. Davis to cancel FU football.
 #29495  by Affirm
 Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:14 pm
Roundball wrote:
Interesting article on how the costs of weekly testing will affect many college football programs. There are several quotes from the UTC AD. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... ll-season/
Tremendously interesting article and even better comments after the article.
Fascinating.
Not the sort of thing you can normally find on UFFP/gopaladins.com, except from a few posters.
Majority of commenters, it appears to me, want college football cancelled.
... A personal thought:
It seems that some of us (and several people quoted in the article) think all will be fine after a vaccine, thus allowing spring 2021 college football.
What if a vaccine isn’t available soon enough for spring and/or is only 50-60% effective?
 #29496  by apaladin
 Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:23 pm
affirm wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Fascinating.
Not the sort of thing you can normally find on UFFP/gopaladins.com, except from a few posters.
... A personal thought:
It seems that some of us (and several people quoted in the article) think all will be fine after a vaccine, thus allowing spring 2021 college football.
What if a vaccine isn’t available soon enough for spring and/or is only 50-60% effective?
You really do wnt the season cancelled don't you? Just admit it. Canceeling college football will have zero effect on this virus.
 #29498  by Affirm
 Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:29 pm
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Fascinating.
... A personal thought:
You really do wnt the season cancelled don't you? Just admit it. Canceeling college football will have zero effect on this virus.
What I said was:
"Not the sort of thing you can normally find on UFFP/gopaladins.com, except from a few posters."
You have a problem with me saying that?
Besides, I'm not the one who posted the link. Why don't you ask that person.
Also, I was asking the vaccine question because it is a valid question relative to what some people quoted in the article said.
You have a problem with me asking that question?
 #29499  by apaladin
 Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:57 pm
Not everyone is going to take the vaccine. More people don’t take the flu vaccine than take it. We are not going to eliminate this virus. Like Paul C said the goal has gone from flattening the curve, minimizing fatalities and hospitalizations to zero cases. Not happening. Yes you seemed happy to report a lot of people want to cancel the season. I could be wrong.
 #29500  by bj93
 Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:52 pm
Will be really surprised if we have football this fall. Sure hope that doesn't mean we have seen our last FU football game.
 #29501  by Roundball
 Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:02 pm
apaladin wrote:
Not everyone is going to take the vaccine. More people don’t take the flu vaccine than take it. We are not going to eliminate this virus. Like Paul C said the goal has gone from flattening the curve, minimizing fatalities and hospitalizations to zero cases. Not happening. Yes you seemed happy to report a lot of people want to cancel the season. I could be wrong.
We will have football. The virus is going to disappear, especially when it gets hot and humid. Oh wait...
 #29502  by Furmanoid
 Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:33 pm
affirm wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:29 pm
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Fascinating.
... A personal thought:
What I said was:
"Not the sort of thing you can normally find on UFFP/gopaladins.com, except from a few posters."
You have a problem with me saying that?
Besides, I'm not the one who posted the link. Why don't you ask that person.
Also, I was asking the vaccine question because it is a valid question relative to what some people quoted in the article said.
You have a problem with me asking that question?
I think that’s a very good question. For some reason (I have a theory for that) the experts have decided this will be one of the few epidemics ever where herd immunity won’t work. So all the eggs were placed in the vaccine basket. And we are making sure herd immunity won’t work by dragging the thing out so long that people’s antibodies disappear. So what if the vaccine doesn’t work? Well then I guess this thing never goes away because we won’t let it run it’s course.

But at some point we will just decide to live with it. I think that will suddenly become acceptable in mid November.

On the testing subject, why test college athletes weekly? What makes them so special? What about HS athletes? What about regular students who walk down crowded halls? And forget about Covid, young people are more likely to be killed by flu. Should we rethink having school during flu season?

And if FU is closed for a year, will it survive?
 #29504  by cavedweller2
 Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:59 pm
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
We will have football. The virus is going to disappear, especially when it gets hot and humid. Oh wait...
It is not hot and humid here in Greenville yet.
 #29505  by Roundball
 Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:05 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:59 pm
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
It is not hot and humid here in Greenville yet.
You must have been away for the last few days. Temps in the low to mid 90’s. Dew points above 60. Heat index upper 90’s a couple of days the week. Hot and humid.