• Furman at Montana

#82191  by FUDude
 Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:13 pm
Nice observations about zone schemes against the 3-3. The one thing I noticed is it all starts up front with their NG Gubner, he makes that scheme go. Good player and maybe one of the 2 that could start on our defense. They stunt a lot but shell their front with LB's and Db's to pick up what their rush might miss. All goes back to being patient, taking what the defense gives us. 4 verts will always kill a cover 3 and they run that quite often. Mix that in with our zone running game, its going to be a long night for their defense.
 #82193  by FUBeAR
 Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:24 pm
FUDude wrote:
Nice observations about zone schemes against the 3-3. The one thing I noticed is it all starts up front with their NG Gubner, he makes that scheme go. Good player and maybe one of the 2 that could start on our defense. They stunt a lot but shell their front with LB's and Db's to pick up what their rush might miss. All goes back to being patient, taking what the defense gives us. 4 verts will always kill a cover 3 and they run that quite often. Mix that in with our zone running game, its going to be a long night for their defense.
FUDude - you seem exceptionally well-informed. Appreciate the knowledgeable posts. As a Furman Fan...where ya been all our lives? We've been here about 20 years. Glad you finally arrived.

So - with all that knowledge though - what can you tell us about finding a live (or very recently deceased) possum in Missoula or surrounds? It's critical to the outcome of Friday's contest that we are able to acquire a live (or very recently deceased) possum ASAP.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bootie liked this
 #82194  by MNORM
 Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:25 pm
CrunchGriz wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:07 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:42 pm
Montana’s Best Recruit ever says deuces before Furman comes to town. Can’t blame him. Quite a few RB’s peaced out instead of facing Furman’s D this season

That would be a great take except for the fact that Iverson has seen exactly zero time running the ball this year except in garbage time when the Griz were killing teams. Nice try, though.
You're obviously new here :roll:
 #82195  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:36 pm
If you want to watch a team lose contain on the edge, here's Montana State/Montana.

UM won big, but feasted on the Bobcats defense getting their edge guys sucked inside.

#82196  by FUDude
 Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:37 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
FUDude wrote:
FUDude - you seem exceptionally well-informed. Appreciate the knowledgeable posts. As a Furman Fan...where ya been all our lives? We've been here about 20 years. Glad you finally arrived.

So - with all that knowledge though - what can you tell us about finding a live possum in Missoula or surrounds? It's critical to the outcome of Friday's contest that we are able to acquire a live possum ASAP.
I am not a fan of team specific sites I have posted for years on Anygivensaturday.com

Tried posting on eGriz but they are not welcoming of alternative points of view or opposing fans. My friend who is showing us around Missoula and other people we have run into are not reflective of that site, they seem to be really good people. Hitting a bunch of local brewerys after work today and dinner at a steak house they all brag about.

I will ask him about possums!
FUBeAR liked this
 #82197  by HKB60
 Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:04 pm
I truly believe that the Grizzlies have not seen a team that is as physical as ours. I can't wait to see my legacy nephew, Jack F'ing Barton raise some cain in the Montana backfield. As much as I didn't like the D-line rotation, it definitely has an effect on the opposing teams O-line. What's even better is that my nephew Jack has risen to the level of athletic superiority and is now blocking on the offensive side of the ball, like his uncle, as an H-Back in our goal line formation. 6'3" 260 lbs of a beast looking to knock some one out!! Time to beat the Grizzlies!
Furman 24
Grizzlies 17
Bootie, Paul C, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #82198  by MNORM
 Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:05 pm
FUDude wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:37 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
FUDude wrote:

So - with all that knowledge though - what can you tell us about finding a live possum in Missoula or surrounds? It's critical to the outcome of Friday's contest that we are able to acquire a live possum ASAP.
I am not a fan of team specific sites I have posted for years on Anygivensaturday.com

Tried posting on eGriz but they are not welcoming of alternative points of view or opposing fans. My friend who is showing us around Missoula and other people we have run into are not reflective of that site, they seem to be really good people. Hitting a bunch of local brewerys after work today and dinner at a steak house they all brag about.

I will ask him about possums!
Met a handful of UM fans before the game in 'Nooga in 2001 at a restaurant/bar. Good group of people with a lot of passion for their school.
 #82200  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:15 pm
These highlights are encouraging.

Sacramento State running backs appear to run a good bit more like ours. Start pushing the defense, wait patiently for blocks, and then get up field through the hole.

#82202  by AstroDin
 Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:22 pm
One thing that will be interesting is to see how Furman responds too - is Montana late hits on defense?
I think they had 100 yards in penalties against Delaware.
The Hack City guys brought up that the Griz will try to rough Huff up.
Furman typically responds well to teams trying to be overly physical.
I don't think it's in their best interest to piss Huff off.
Bootie, dornb liked this
 #82203  by FUBeAR
 Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:24 pm
HKB60 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:04 pm
I truly believe that the Grizzlies have not seen a team that is as physical as ours. I can't wait to see my legacy nephew, Jack F'ing Barton raise some cain in the Montana backfield. As much as I didn't like the D-line rotation, it definitely has an effect on the opposing teams O-line. What's even better is that my nephew Jack has risen to the level of athletic superiority and is now blocking on the offensive side of the ball, like his uncle, as an H-Back in our goal line formation. 6'3" 260 lbs of a beast looking to knock some one out!! Time to beat the Grizzlies!
Furman 24
Grizzlies 17
Glad to see you have adopted FUBeAR's text thread moniker for JB93.
 #82204  by FUBeAR
 Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:27 pm
AstroDin wrote:
One thing that will be interesting is to see how Furman responds too - is Montana late hits on defense?
Yeah - they don't want him to break out that Arctic Assassin Training he's rec'd in his Army Special Forces Unit. Heard he knows 23 ways to kill a man with his snow-mittened hands in under 4 seconds.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #82205  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:34 pm
Watching these highlights, I'm a bit more bullish.

I'm underwhelmed by the defensive football I see from a few of these Montana opponents. A lot of falling off runners. A lot of arm tackling. A lot of just trying to push guys over. A lot of losing contain. Over penetration. Not getting off blocks.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #82206  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:35 pm
AstroDin wrote:
We've had teams try to play us chippy. Let them.

I don't know Huff, but my read of him is you don't want to motivate him during a game. He strikes me as a dude that will come right back at you.

Besides, they may be trying to rough up Huff, but I suspect a few of their defensive players will get his facemask square in their chest.
 #82207  by FUBeAR
 Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:06 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:34 pm
Watching these highlights, I'm a bit more bullish.

I'm underwhelmed by the defensive football I see from a few of these Montana opponents. A lot of falling off runners. A lot of arm tackling. A lot of just trying to push guys over. A lot of losing contain. Over penetration. Not getting off blocks.
Yeah - some of that though - is because they are gonna make you play in space - not just 'athletes in space' stuff that every Coach says.

It starts with those Line Splits - their entire Offense seems to be built around the concepts of using all the available space.

It's a unique style - almost kinda triple option unique. Our D will need to STAY ON THEIR FEET / RUN THEIR FEET .... and TACKLE / WRAP UP EVERY PLAY.

They ARE like Samford with much more athletic O-Linemen. Samford wants to create a WALL in front of the QB. Montana wants a widely-spaced picket fence that he can run thru, as necessary and as opportunity arises.
 #82208  by FUDude
 Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:21 pm
Let them run their wide splits, our quickness will negate it.

Key to that is our 0 tech and 5 tech guys need to be gap sound, anchor the middle and set the edge. Everyone needs to focus on gap control but its crucial at those two spots DT and DE. Let the LBs spill and seal up the running lanes, then make sound one on one tackles. We cannot let them play with leverage and space Need to jam up the A and B gaps mix it up between safety and LB so they cannot throw us out of that. It only takes one player free in the backfield to blow up protection and make it a scramble drill. Speed on the DL kills wide splits. Line up our corners and jam receivers at the line while pressuring with speed at DL will throw timing off and make a QB who does not seems to process quickly make forced errors.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.