• Mark Berman from the Roanoke Times...this Bud’s for you

#7155  by Fessor
 Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:37 pm
I had maybe the best BLT I've ever had in Roanoke. Veggies came from the Roanoke Farmer's market. Fresh lettuce and tomato were indescribably good. If you're ever in that area during Farmer's Market time of year, take it in. Roanoke: Star City of the South. Southern Conference tourney used to be held there when I was a kid.

Great city for a BLT. Bad city for the SoCon tourney.

Thanks.
soconjohn and 1 others liked this
 #7174  by soconjohn
 Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:17 pm
Furman is an NCAA Tournament team right now...Whether they are Top 25 in nation is unknown I guess...But to say they aren't good enough to be in NCAA Tournament would un-wise...They are an at-large right now...And, the folks I write with fully believe Furman will be ranked next week...count on it if they keep winning.
dornb and 1 others liked this
 #7180  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:48 pm
Wow, that is saying a lot. I am as excited as anyone but I think we need to reel it back in a bit. Right now we have 3 non-D1 wins. 2 D1 wins by 2 points an OT win over Villanova and a not so pretty win against a bad UNCA team. The last 2 games we have not looked like a top 30 team, no where close. Yes we have played a lot of players but even when the starters have been in we have not looked good in these games. You would think even the bench could stretch the lead against the last 2 opponents. That didn't happen. I think we have to wait and see how this team handles all the hoopla. IF the last 2 games are any indication then we have a lot of work to do. Very anxious to see how we play against WCU and the next few games. Way too early to say this team is a tournament team. The SoCon is going to be a lot tougher than normal. Right now I don't see any easy wins. Go Paladins!
Fessor liked this
 #7186  by fu77fan
 Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:38 am
I am very pleased that we are 7-0 and that we have beaten 2 teams from the Flnal Four last year. But honestly, in some of our other games we have not looked impressive at all. I think we need to take it one game at a time, get better each day , get Andrew Brown back , and let the chips fall where they may.
The one thing I do know, is that the So Con is going to be extremely tough, particularly Wofford and UNCG.

Go Furman
Fessor liked this
 #7354  by purplehorse
 Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:15 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:19 pm
Furman has never been this good in my lifetime...1974-75 is probably the only comparable team in the history of the program.
Having watched FU bb for some 55 years there have been multiple teams better than what this team has proven so far. The 8-0 record is nice but we have not played enough good opponents so far to say much. We could easily be the 3rd best team in the conference. I do not for a minute think we are one of the top 25 teams in the country. Beating Villanova on a given night is great but that does not mean we are a better team. No doubt in my mine they would beat us more games in a best out of ten games. Hope we can keep it going but we may lack pure shooters/ firepower on offense. We lost a lot last year (Sibley, Beans, Davis, Fowler).
Last edited by purplehorse on Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fessor liked this
 #7403  by Bootie
 Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:10 pm
purplehorse wrote:
soconjohn wrote:
Furman has never been this good in my lifetime...1974-75 is probably the only comparable team in the history of the program.
Having watched FU bb for some 55 years there have been multiple teams better than what this team has proven so far. The 8-0 record is nice but we have not played enough good opponents so far to say much. We could easily be the 3rd best team in the conference. I do not for a minute think we are one of the top 25 teams in the country. Beating Villanova on a given night is great but that does not mean we are a better team. No doubt in my mine they would beat us more games in a beat out of ten games. Hope we can keep it going but we may lack pure shooters/ firepower on offense. We lost a lot last year (Sibley, Beans, Davis, Fowler).
I can see both sides of this. It's one thing to get in the polls, but the meat is in how long we can keep winning and stay in. A couple losses or an injury and the season could implode. It's early. But dang it's fun to be here, and to dream and hope a little. Keep on it, Paladins.
 #7409  by Paul C
 Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:20 am
purplehorse wrote:
soconjohn wrote:
Having watched FU bb for some 55 years there have been multiple teams better than what this team has proven so far. The 8-0 record is nice but we have not played enough good opponents so far to say much. We could easily be the 3rd best team in the conference. I do not for a minute think we are one of the top 25 teams in the country. Beating Villanova on a given night is great but that does not mean we are a better team. No doubt in my mine they would beat us more games in a best out of ten games. Hope we can keep it going but we may lack pure shooters/ firepower on offense. We lost a lot last year (Sibley, Beans, Davis, Fowler).
The schedule this season has been perfectly set up for a run like this. On one hand, we DID beat two of last years Final Four, including the National Champions, on the road. And that's nothing to dismiss. How many times have we beat a Top 75 team on the road? Occassionally, but to string two together like we did? Unprecendented. Even when we beat UNC and NC St in the halcyon days those were on a neutral floor.

But yes, the other games have been against the bottom 1/3rd of D1.....G-W right now at #202 in Pomeroy the "best of the rest"...which is why we are where are.

And while we've struggled with our outside shooting, our defense has been great, and our passing has been spot on. We are shooting 55.7% from 2 pt as a team, good for 57th/353 in D1. And that's a testament to our cutting/passing and driving ability, and inside game powered by Matt R. On defense, we are holding teams to an effective FG % of 47.6%, good enough for 90th/353 and 29.8% from 3. That offsets our weak 30.2% from 3.