• 2023 Pre-season

#73360  by AllTimeFU
 Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:36 am
Don't they usually wait until after official report day?
 #73362  by The Jackal
 Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:52 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:36 am
Don't they usually wait until after official report day?
I'm sure we will see updates with height/weight/bios/photos after report day.

The recent change was to add players with numbers. Sometimes you might catch a position change in there.
 #73363  by The Jackal
 Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:09 am
If some of these players develop, I like the depth of what I'm seeing on the defensive front.
 #73385  by The Jackal
 Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:44 am
Thoughts on Defensive front.

We already know the following guys can hold it down:

DT: Sochovka, Stanfield
DE: Barton, Jackson
NG: Stephens, Cook
BAN: Clark, Maier, Adebayo

Admittedly, I haven't seen Cook in action, but he was a starter at Wingate and I cannot imagine the coaches brining in a transfer graduate student that they didn't think was going to play immediately.

Also, I'm really interested in seeing Jeremiah Jackson back. He missed most of last season with injury, but was our starter at DE going into the season. Considering how good Barton was in reserve, I have to think Jackson is pretty good too.

I looked at some of the film clips from Marc Hernandez, who Furman offered in the 2022 class, but signed with Army and then transferred. Hernandez is listed 6'4 310 and from his film, could be a contributor. Big body, big motor

It's a luxury to go into camp with a defensive line two deep already pretty much intact. I'm sure some of the younger guys will get opportunities to earn a spot in the rotation, which will only make us better.

Looking at the roster, there are a lot of mix and match options for Coach Vaughn. Depending on the opponent and game situation, he's got guys two gap run stuffers. He's got one gap speed/power guys that can quickly beat blocks into the backfield. He has players that excel in rushing the passer. Most of these guys have height to clog up passing lanes. There's enough quality players at this point that they can liberally rotate and be high octane the entire time.
 #73386  by AstroDin
 Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:14 am
^^^ that is a lot of players to work with along the defensive front.

As practice starts next month I'll be watching; receivers, tight ends, defensive backs, linebackers, and running back groups.

I'm very interested to see how Holbrook and Hinton look, as well as Chappel, Tormey, and Pline at TE.
The incoming group of corners are impressive on paper; do they push for PT?
With Gilby and McCormick playing their last season; the new guard is going to start getting PT; Chideo, Earl, Herbert, are up next.
This is Roberto's and Anderson's last season; who steps up? I'm putting my chips on Redshirt Jaquan Smith. That said the upside of Hicks and Robinson, as well as keeping KT on the roster is going to make this an interesting RB/Slot group.
 #73388  by The Jackal
 Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:14 am
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:14 am
^^^ that is a lot of players to work with along the defensive front.

As practice starts next month I'll be watching; receivers, tight ends, defensive backs, linebackers, and running back groups.

I'm very interested to see how Holbrook and Hinton look, as well as Chappel, Tormey, and Pline at TE.
The incoming group of corners are impressive on paper; do they push for PT?
With Gilby and McCormick playing their last season; the new guard is going to start getting PT; Chideo, Earl, Herbert, are up next.
This is Roberto's and Anderson's last season; who steps up? I'm putting my chips on Redshirt Jaquan Smith. That said the upside of Hicks and Robinson, as well as keeping KT on the roster is going to make this an interesting RB/Slot group.
Just a few thoughts on these:

RB:

I don't think it would be any surprise to see Roberto be "the guy." I thought Furman did a good job balancing him last year. He had roughly 36% of Furman's carries last season. Huff is not a running back, but shoulders a good bit of the run game work load himself.

I think the question is going to be who picks up Abrams carries? Abrams handled about 18.4% of Furman's carries and was frequently used as a lead blocker.

Probably worth noting that Furman did not take a RB in the '23 class and does not appear to have any walk-ons assigned to that position. I suppose that indicates the coaching staff feels good about the depth chart there, though one of our first commits in the '24 class is a RB.

TE:

There has been a complete renovation here as, it would seem, Furman is moving more to a group of bigger/in-line TEs. As I've noted before, I don't think you'll see Furman try to replace Ryan Miller, but divide his duties up among a variety of position groups.

Gissinger seems like the odds on favorite to be the starter. I cannot imagine Furman brought in a grad student transfer in Pline to sit the bench, so he seems like a likely #2 option.

I'm really interested to see if Furman can use a player like Ty Youngblood, who was a high school FB/LB and was the reserve TE last season to be a 3rd TE/Hback in certain sets. Other than him, how creative Furman can get here may well depend on how quickly some of these new recruits develop this fall.

WR

I'd have to expect you'll see Harris, Shiflett, Dean, Anderson, and Ferguson as the first guys out there.

Ethan Harris got in a few games last year. As a '21 grad that went to Air Force Prep, he's a player that now has two years of college football under his belt as a redshirt freshman. Holbrook and Hamilton are both exciting looking prospects that we may see at some point.

LB

I suppose Gilby is now in his 6th season in Duane Vaughn's defense. I suspect it is difficult to get a more veteran player than he is at a keystone position. Lot of veteran depth there and, I agree, some younger guys need to start stepping into the rotation.
 #73413  by The Jackal
 Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:43 am
The only bit of the roster that gives me a little pause right now is QB.

Huff is obviously going to be the guy going into the season. That was still a job he had to earn last year.

With Jace Wilson transferring, though, there's very little experience behind him. Carson Jones moved into the QB2 role last season, but played sparingly in two blowout games.

With as much as Huff carries the ball (a shade under 20% of Furman's carries last year), we're likely going to need the backup at some point, even if only for a drive. Many good Furman teams have had to rely on the backup QB carrying the team on a big drive in a key game.

As much as I love Huff's game, I hope the coaches emphasize to him not taking unnecessary shots while on the run. He's built like a linebacker and runs angry. I wouldn't hate to see him go down or get out of bounds, though.
bj93 liked this
 #73415  by FurmanFan23
 Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:26 am
If Huff gets hurt we are in big trouble. Carson Jones is not and will not be ready this season. It will be interesting to see the QB battle next year when Huff leaves. Jones vs Hedden will be a good one for sure.
 #73416  by The Jackal
 Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:42 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:26 am
If Huff gets hurt we are in big trouble. Carson Jones is not and will not be ready this season. It will be interesting to see the QB battle next year when Huff leaves. Jones vs Hedden will be a good one for sure.
I'm not sure any of us can say unequivocally that is true.

The coaching staff did not appear to be in the market for a transfer QB this offseason - someone that could fill in that was a little older than Jones with a few more games under his belt. Instead, they've gone QB in last three draft classes with Jones, Garcia, and Hedden.

I suspect that if the coaches felt iffy about the backup spot, they might have looked for a transfer player. It's not uncommon to have to rely on a backup QB at points during the season,

Going into last season, Coach Hendrix said the following about Jones:
"Carson has won that third spot with his ability," said Hendrix. "We've been really pleased with his performance. Coach Roper has thrown him in there against the first teams, and he has responded. He makes some freshman mistakes, but he has as a really bright future."
https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2022/8/ ... backs.aspx

Something maybe to watch out for in pre-season practice is whether Shiflett takes any snaps at QB. Shiflett was a HS QB and was recruited as a QB prior to moving to receiver. Furman will frequently use him as a QB in short yardage situations, like this:

#73417  by FurmanFan23
 Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:29 pm
How could he be ready? He has only had two attempts in his collegiate career.
 #73418  by The Jackal
 Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:22 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:29 pm
How could he be ready? He has only had two attempts in his collegiate career.

Your argument is that the backup QB "is not and will not be ready" to play this season not because you know that or objectively assessed his capabilities, but because he hasn't played that much?

Do you hold that opinion for every college player?
 #73420  by FurmanFan23
 Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:27 pm
And your argument is that CCH has said great things about him. Do you really think a coach would say bad things about a player publically? All I am saying is to take what CCH is saying with a grain of salt. I've heard coaches in the past hype up players when in reality they suck. Not saying this is the case for CJ. CJ could very well be a great player but most college QBs take a while to develop.
 #73421  by FurmanFan23
 Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:31 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:27 pm
And your argument is that CCH has said great things about him. Do you really think a coach would say bad things about a player publically? All I am saying is to take what CCH is saying with a grain of salt. I've heard coaches in the past hype up players when in reality they suck. Not saying this is the case for CJ. CJ could very well be a great player but most college QBs take a while to develop.
Instead of saying "Will not" I should have said, "Is likely" to not be ready.