• No 2020 Season

#30757  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:16 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:03 pm
Mostly smaller institutions that can more aptly regulate their student body. The outlier there is Wofford, who I think is the only one of the smaller universities not identified.
 #30758  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:25 pm
aqualung wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:13 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:53 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:46 pm
Also, and I’m seriously curious, what is the usual award for wrongful death? Does a heat stroke death pay out less than a virus death for some reason? Why is that? If a single death would bankrupt a college, why do any of them allow athletics- even intramural?
Every state is different. In Georgia, a plaintiff can recover the "full value of the life," which for a young Furman student would be a massive number to put to a jury. Plaintiff can also recover for the pain and suffering, so if it is a situation where someone suffers injury and then lingers in a hospital bed for weeks, that's tacked on too as a
separate element of damage.

Other states, like Alabama, predominately apply a punitive damages award. Basically, the jury just punishes the defendant. I don't know South Carolina's law, but on a glance it looks like a punitive damage state.

There is inherent risk in playing football. There are plenty of risks which a player assumes just by putting on the pads. They know that. The coaches know that.

There are other risks not inherent to playing football. Serious illness or death because your school opts to play football when no one else does is not inherent to playing football.
I thought most schools would require the players to sign waivers. So would these waivers be worthless in court?

It is an interesting question, but I wouldn't want that as my only shield to liability.

At the moment, we are dealing with a "novel" virus - completely new to human history. We have very little understanding of how this virus operates, what it can do to children, what it will do in cooler weather, or what the long term effects will be.

A waiver in this regard cannot really be "knowingly" made because even the smartest people in the room don't know what to predict, so how can an 18 year old?

There's also a question of duress - "hey, sign this or you can't play and might lose eligibility."
 #30759  by Roundball
 Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:33 pm
Not good. So, the plan is to say we care about the health of our student athletes, unless the school can make a big payout from playing against a FBS opponent? If this is the decision, these Presidents are hypocrites.

Last edited by Roundball on Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fufanatic liked this
 #30760  by apaladin
 Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:44 pm
I wonder if FU will even release a basketball schedule? Probably futile.
 #30761  by Furmanoid
 Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:47 pm
If we pick up a couple from the Southland a couple from the Ohio valley, we’re good. If we want to, we can play. We’re in the hunt for a natty.
 #30762  by Roundball
 Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:49 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
If we pick up a couple from the Southland a couple from the Ohio valley, we’re good. If we want to, we can play. We’re in the hunt for a natty.
I still say we cannot afford a season without a big payout game. We should know soon.
 #30764  by apaladin
 Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:54 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:49 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
I still say we cannot afford a season without a big payout game. We should know soon.
There are plenty available if we want them.
 #30765  by Roundball
 Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:57 pm
I don’t understand. Somebody explain to me why it’s okay to play OOC teams but not our own conference opponents. The announcement better not have wording about caring about the health of our student athletes.
 #30767  by Furmanoid
 Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:04 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:57 pm
I don’t understand. Somebody explain to me why it’s okay to play OOC teams but not our own conference opponents. The announcement better not have wording about caring about the health of our student athletes.
There may be some schools too strapped to pay for testing. They should really consider DII if things are that tight.
 #30768  by apaladin
 Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:05 pm
No mention of ooc football so I guess that is that.
 #30769  by Roundball
 Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:07 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:05 pm
No mention of ooc football so I guess that is that.
OOC games are allowed. “The Southern Conference Council of Presidents announced Thursday that the league will not have fall conference competition due to health and safety concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic, allowing for nonconference contests if desired.“

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.