• Baseball Dropped (Updated)

#28296  by Affirm
 Mon May 25, 2020 9:34 am
MetroMizzy wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:06 pm
Just a quick update. We are all trying to handle this with grace and humility (although it might not seem like it sometimes) which is the only way we have a shot to save the program. We've had several calls with JD and Trustees. I will tell you this: take that press release with a grain of salt. I'll provide the real facts to the backstory when it's appropriate. JD was extremely candid last Thursday on a call. We have one shot to do this and do it correctly and we don't need anything put out on social media to screw it up. JD is developing a plan and presenting it to our "advisory board" or whatever you want to call it, I believe, on Thursday. This plan will provide parameters for us to work within to save Furman baseball. At this point, we have no idea if it's feasible...but we're going to try.

If you're on twitter please give @SaveFurmanBSBL a follow and retweet anything you feel would be appropriate. You will see a consistent message which lines up with what I've been posting on here which might clear up anything that I may have not so eloquently attempted to say. There is also a group on Facebook but I don't utilize Facebook.

Sidenote: If TB12 is a 6 handicap, I could have played golf at Furman...yeah right.
Maybe JD’s parameters to “save Furman baseball” will be more lenient than those I suggested already: those who want to “save Furman baseball” need to present a donation of $100,000,000, half of which would be for baseball endowment and the other half for women’s athletics or whatever else Furman would choose to use it for.
I certainly agree that consistently exuding grace and humility and sincere caring for Furman as a university (rather than just caring about a vocal minority’s preferred athletics endeavor) are also vitally important.
 #28300  by apaladin
 Mon May 25, 2020 12:25 pm
MetroMizzy wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:06 pm
Just a quick update. We are all trying to handle this with grace and humility (although it might not seem like it sometimes) which is the only way we have a shot to save the program. We've had several calls with JD and Trustees. I will tell you this: take that press release with a grain of salt. I'll provide the real facts to the backstory when it's appropriate. JD was extremely candid last Thursday on a call. We have one shot to do this and do it correctly and we don't need anything put out on social media to screw it up. JD is developing a plan and presenting it to our "advisory board" or whatever you want to call it, I believe, on Thursday. This plan will provide parameters for us to work within to save Furman baseball. At this point, we have no idea if it's feasible...but we're going to try.

If you're on twitter please give @SaveFurmanBSBL a follow and retweet anything you feel would be appropriate. You will see a consistent message which lines up with what I've been posting on here which might clear up anything that I may have not so eloquently attempted to say. There is also a group on Facebook but I don't utilize Facebook.

Sidenote: If TB12 is a 6 handicap, I could have played golf at Furman...yeah right.
Great Metro! We are all(most) behind you!! At least there is hope. Thank you!!
 #28301  by Roundball
 Mon May 25, 2020 12:39 pm
If there is hope, better let the players know it. Several have already transferred. In another week, there will be no players left.
 #28304  by MetroMizzy
 Mon May 25, 2020 1:31 pm
No kidding apaladin! My God this dude affirm is rough.

Fully aware most of the players are going to transfer and that’s okay. I don’t blame them one bit - although I thought they chose Furman for the world class education! Lol. Nothing we can do about that. We have no issue starting from scratch with the facility already in place.
 #28305  by apaladin
 Mon May 25, 2020 2:51 pm
Roundball wrote:
If there is hope, better let the players know it. Several have already transferred. In another week, there will be no players left.
Have they transferred or just entered the transfer portal. Big difference. Doubt any have actually found a place in a week or less.
 #28306  by Roundball
 Mon May 25, 2020 3:08 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:51 pm
Roundball wrote:
Have they transferred or just entered the transfer portal. Big difference. Doubt any have actually found a place in a week or less.
There have been several twitter announcements, naming the school of choice.

#28309  by Roundball
 Mon May 25, 2020 3:20 pm
There are several others, but I can’t find the tweets. I did find the petition to save the program tweet.
 #28310  by Roundball
 Mon May 25, 2020 6:27 pm
Wofford AD on WYFF said the school has an athletic endowment of over $45,000,000, which pays for all scholarships. Does anyone know if Furman has an athletic endowment?
 #28314  by Fessor
 Mon May 25, 2020 8:44 pm
Roundball wrote:
Wofford AD on WYFF said the school has an athletic endowment of over $45,000,000, which pays for all scholarships. Does anyone know if Furman has an athletic endowment?
In hind sight, FU should have offered Jerry Richardson a scholarship back in the day.
Affirm, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #28315  by Affirm
 Mon May 25, 2020 9:35 pm
Fessor wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:44 pm
Roundball wrote:
In hind sight, FU should have offered Jerry Richardson a scholarship back in the day.
Maybe.
In any case, if it is approximately $45,000,000.00 in endowed funds, my guess is that the school would get FEWER THAN 45 total scholarships out of that amount of endowed money. The school must have a lot of non-athletics scholarships that they provide to athletes.
I believe the total cost of attendance at the school is over $61,000.00.
 #28319  by Affirm
 Tue May 26, 2020 8:39 am
MetroMizzy wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:31 pm
No kidding apaladin! My God this dude affirm is rough.

Fully aware most of the players are going to transfer and that’s okay. I don’t blame them one bit - although I thought they chose Furman for the world class education! Lol. Nothing we can do about that. We have no issue starting from scratch with the facility already in place.
This affirm dude is not rough.
Reality is rough.
$100,000,000 is rough.
Maintaining quality in athletics is rough.
We have had a not-so-good baseball program for a long time.
We should not reinstate a baseball team without adequate resources to do so at a quality level and without taking resources away from other needs.
Decisions had to be made.
Priorities and values had to be determined.
That is rough.
Reality is rough.
This affirm dude is not what is rough.
 #28321  by HB88
 Tue May 26, 2020 9:08 am
Roundball wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:20 pm
There are several others, but I can’t find the tweets. I did find the petition to save the program tweet.
While I am supportive of such efforts and know they come from a good place, I doubt any attempt to reinstate the program will be very successful. Even if the powers-that-be reversed course, what quality recruit or coach is going to jump back on board after the events of the last couple of weeks. I fear a viable program died as soon as the announcement was made, regardless of these recovery efforts.