• The 2020 Season

#27530  by Davemeister
 Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:51 am
The deadline for renewing Furman Football season tickets is Friday, May 1. I re-upped as I am sure many of you have done.

What are the chances the season will be played as scheduled? Seems like I read in another topic that the Freshmen players will report to campus in July rather than June as originally planned. What does this portend?

Stock answer: Nobody knows. My question: Who is The Decider?

Is the fate of our September 5 opener in the hands of the NCAA? The Southern Conference? Will there be input from the schools themselves?

Perhaps someone who is closer to the Athletic Department can walk us through the steps of the process and give us an idea where we stand.
 #27531  by Paul C
 Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:06 am
all good questions.

I'm sure they don't know at this point, but I can also imagine there is a date certain where a decision has to be made. Wonder what that date is? June? perhaps as late as July?

Also read yesterday there might be an "abbreviated" season where NCAA schools start later and play a "Conference only" schedule....
 #27535  by apaladin
 Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:29 pm
The football season is still over 4 months away yet there are already fear mongers saying to delay the season etc. I heard one scenario where the NFL would start on October 15. Isn’t that when it’s supposed to come back? I said when the shutdown started it would be very difficult to get things going again. The media has done a tremendous job on scaring the crap out of everyone. Kudos to them. If you listen to them the virus is everywhere and if you come into contact with anyone you’re probably going to die. Every night they come on and say there are now so many cases here or there. No that is incorrect. There have been a certain amount of cases but most are over it so the number of actual current cases are much less. I am in the high risk category but I refuse to live in fear. They talk about when it will be safe to return? It has never been safe and never will be. There are many infectious diseases you can contract but you have never been told to be scared. Remember the longer this drags out the more money the scientists, labs, drug companies hospitals etc get. I could be totally wrong but chances of getting infected at a football game in an open air stadium is minute. I will be there if given the chance.
cavedweller2, FurmAlum, mathprofhiker and 2 others liked this
 #27541  by Paul C
 Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:02 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:29 pm
I could be totally wrong but chances of getting infected at a football game in an open air stadium is minute. I will be there if given the chance.
you're not wrong......
QCGlue liked this
 #27542  by Furmanoid
 Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:10 pm
With our excess capacity it would be easy to do social distancing between family units. You could seat the students (probably pretty infected up) on the visitors side and have plenty of room to spread out on the home side. I think most fcs places have plenty of room.
 #27544  by Roundball
 Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:59 pm
Most coaches say the teams need at least 2 months of time to prepare for the first game. The clock will begin ticking around July 1. I'll be shocked if anyone is on a college campus by that date. Summer camps have already been canceled. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see the first game until October at the earliest.
https://247sports.com/Article/College-f ... 145520087/
Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Opinion: There is no good answer on how long college football players will need to safely start season

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 142291002/
Last edited by Roundball on Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #27545  by cavedweller2
 Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:05 pm
2 months? How long have those kids been playing football? Show your ass up in shape.Review intensely what you should already know. Get after it. 3 - 4 weeks.
Rokawaylifer, FurmAlum, FUBeAR and 2 others liked this
 #27546  by The Jackal
 Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:18 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
2 months? How long have those kids been playing football? Show your ass up in shape.Review intensely what you should already know. Get after it. 3 - 4 weeks.
I mean, even the NFL players get two weeks of training camps with another month of exhibition games/practice.
 #27547  by apaladin
 Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:20 pm
Roundball wrote:
Most coaches say the teams need at least 2 months of time to prepare for the first game. The clock will begin ticking around July 1. I'll be shocked if anyone is on a college campus by that date. Summer camps have already been canceled. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see the first game until October at the earliest.
I’m pretty sure that preseason practice is limited to around 20 days?
 #27550  by FurmAlum
 Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:38 pm
If they have to do it in 1 month instead of 2 then so be it. If every team only has 1 month then it should be fair. Maybe the playbook has to be a little smaller and the quality of play might not be as quite as good but its better than not playing.
You gotta play the hand that's dealt to you.

I wouldn't mind playing Woffy with a new QB and no spring practice!! Seems fair to me. :twisted:
fupaladin01, QCGlue liked this
 #27553  by FUBeAR
 Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:15 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Back in the day...

Report on Sunday for testing (1), 5 days of 2 practices/day (2-6), Sat Scrimmage (7), Sunday Film/Meetings (8), 5 days of 3 practices/day (middle practice was in shells - special teams) (9-13), Sat Scrimmage (14), Sunday Film/Meetings (15), 4 days of full pad practice 1/day (16-19), Walk-thru Friday (20)...GAMETIME (21st day)

20 days / 31 Practices (not counting testing or walk-thru days as practices)

...ain’t nuttin’ but a thang!
Paladin82, cavedweller2 liked this
 #27558  by fufanatic
 Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:30 am
I desperately hope we have football. I guess it comes down to what are the options for stopping the spread if a vaccine isn't ready by then (which it won't be because it apparently takes over a year at the earliest to make sure it's safe)? If they can figure out a way to make sure players, coaches, fans and workers are safe, then I think we will play. If they don't, then we won't.
 #27563  by apaladin
 Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:56 am
Heard on the news there could be a vaccine as soon as September. Also some encouraging news with some drugs for treatment. We need to return to a somewhat normal situation and fight the virus too before it’s too late. We can do both IMHO.
dornb liked this
 #27564  by Roundball
 Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:33 pm
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Players practice all summer.
 #27570  by The Jackal
 Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:39 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:33 pm
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
Players practice all summer.
In most circumstances, I think he S&C coach has them after spring and before the fall camp starts.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.