• Furman @ VMI (Jan. 1)

#23456  by furpop16
 Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:46 pm
THREE Hunter turnovers ... who is that imposter and what has he done with Alex Hunter?
 #23457  by purplehorse
 Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:51 pm
We would have won by 25 if we had looked for Lyons in the last 5 minutes of the game. Hunter particularly began to dribble too much and force it.

This might have been best game by Lyons, even his 50 plus point game with 15 3’s.

Great game Jordan!
apaladin liked this
 #23458  by CharlieFU
 Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:55 pm
Pleased to see Beeker get back in there after bad ankle sprain.

Slawson! 13 points and 10 rebounds

Jordan! (And he had 4 assists)
MNORM liked this
 #23459  by furpop16
 Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:56 pm
At one point in the play-by-play the announcers noted Pugh was "getting beat on defense". Not the way to up his PT on a CBR team ... certainly when having an off-game offensively.
Last edited by furpop16 on Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MNORM liked this
 #23461  by fufanatic
 Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:59 pm
Guess coach was right when he said he wasn’t worried about Lyons. :shock:

If he was as accurate against North Greenville last year as he was today he might have dropped 80 on the Crusaders.

He’s rounding into form just at the right time.
furpop16, dornb liked this
 #23463  by apaladin
 Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:35 pm
Good win. VMI is not that bad. They almost beat UNCG in Greensboro. We are basically half way thru the season and outside of Bothwell we are getting very little from the bench which is disappointing. Today the VMI bench outscored the FU bench 38-6. I lost count but at one point with 2 or more FU starters out we were outscored 18-2. The bench has to at least hold their own but that's not happening.
 #23464  by furpop16
 Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:47 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:35 pm
Good win. VMI is not that bad. They almost beat UNCG in Greensboro. We are basically half way thru the season and outside of Bothwell we are getting very little from the bench which is disappointing. Today the VMI bench outscored the FU bench 38-6. I lost count but at one point with 2 or more FU starters out we were outscored 18-2. The bench has to at least hold their own but that's not happening.
Coach noted his disappointment with the bench in his postgame remarks. Gives him something to work on after an otherwise very promising beginning to the new year.

Our bench is young, as would be expected. Nevertheless I can't remember a game when the statistical disparity between the starters and the bench was so stark.
 #23467  by tya1
 Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:01 pm
If I hadn't been watching the game I would have thought this was a 2 or 3 point game from the comments instead of a game we lead by over 20 points until a late push by VMI.

Incredible shooting show by Lyons. Hope he keeps the confidence strong after the past few games.

VMI seemed to be playing physical with the ballhandlers and we didn't react as well as we could have.

This was VMI's biggest defeat of the season. They played tough against Virginia Tech a couple of games ago and were competitive against UNCG and Duquesne deep into the games.
 #23473  by CharlieFU
 Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:06 pm
Bothwell was averaging 10 points a game going into this game. Today was an anomaly as to him. We know what we will get from Tre. Pugh was 0-2.

If Bothwell can be steady 10 points then we are good.
 #23474  by Jasper
 Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:11 pm
I would bet you can count on that from Bothwell going forward. He has too many offensive skills to be held in single figures given 20 minutes of PT.
 #23487  by apaladin
 Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:45 am
furpop16 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:46 pm
THREE Hunter turnovers ... who is that imposter and what has he done with Alex Hunter?
Could have been his new hairdo. :D
 #23489  by The Jackal
 Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:20 am
tya1 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:01 pm
If I hadn't been watching the game I would have thought this was a 2 or 3 point game from the comments instead of a game we lead by over 20 points until a late push by VMI.

Incredible shooting show by Lyons. Hope he keeps the confidence strong after the past few games.

VMI seemed to be playing physical with the ballhandlers and we didn't react as well as we could have.

This was VMI's biggest defeat of the season. They played tough against Virginia Tech a couple of games ago and were competitive against UNCG and Duquesne deep into the games.
Wait. Negative comments after a win? Here? On this forum? You don't say.
FU03times liked this
 #23495  by Flagman
 Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:29 am
Prior to the game, I noticed Clay Mounce having a conversation with one of the officials. It appeared they were discussing Clay’s headband. It seems that Clay’s headband was not regulation. It was too wide. New rule for this season, it seems. What’s next?
 #23522  by purplehorse
 Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:43 pm
Flagman wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:29 am
Prior to the game, I noticed Clay Mounce having a conversation with one of the officials. It appeared they were discussing Clay’s headband. It seems that Clay’s headband was not regulation. It was too wide. New rule for this season, it seems. What’s next?

Yes a wide headband could be very dangerous. Reminds me of the time I was flying and put my shoes in the conveyor bin. The airport security asked me “Are these your shoes?” I said “yes sir.” He said “ do you know what kind of shoe laces these are?” With my mouth half-open in disbelief he went on to say what kind they were, why they were not allowed on flights etc. I was in a state of disbelief. A few seconds later my friend who had put him up to this prank, died laughing.

So I think you have to watch out for the type of headband AND shoe laces! 😁

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Scouting Samford

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:39 am

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:29 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.