• Game 1 - Charleston Southern

#15114  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:30 pm
Hero Sport's Preview: https://herosports.com/fcs/football-201 ... south-ajaj

The new offensive coordinator is making a big jump up from Lagrange College. Article suggests they are going to be more of an air raid team.

Good news for Furman is it really doesn't matter what an offense throws at us, the SoCon offenses are so multi-faceted that we probably have a defense to install for it.

Handle this game with care. I believe the last underdog Big South team to come to Paladin Stadium (KSU) embarrassed us. This is virtually a must win game for Furman - notch an OOC FCS win at home.
 #15126  by fupaladin01
 Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:27 pm
I agree it is a must-win. I did some looking at the CSU OL and DL a few days ago and we are a good bit heavier and taller on both lines- not to mention our OL depth and experience. We should control the game in the trenches, get plenty of pressure on the qb (I'm thinking Adrian Hope's first 2-3 sacks of the season) and hopefully our D doesn't employ everyone's favorite 5-yd cushion prevent D. No reason we shouldn't win by 2-3 scores.
 #15129  by gofurman
 Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:50 pm
The Jackal wrote:

The new offensive coordinator is making a big jump up from Lagrange College. Article suggests they are going to be more of an air raid team.

Good news for Furman is it really doesn't matter what an offense throws at us, the SoCon offenses are so multi-faceted that we probably have a defense to install for it.

Handle this game with care. I believe the last underdog Big South team to come to Paladin Stadium (KSU) embarrassed us. This is virtually a must win game for Furman - notch an OOC FCS win at home.
agree 100%. I hate when people dismiss other teams as easy wins... We don't like to see when FBS talk about us in that way. No opponent should be feared but ALL should be respected ! As you said, KSU was supposed to be an easy win - we see how that went.

We NEED to win this and finally notch a win in early September.. esp as we will be underdogs in our next two games after this.

Plus this is almost' a MUST win as IF we lose to CSU I suspect we would lose the next two (Georgia State is a large step up from CSU) meaning we would almost have to win the conference toget a playoff bid. Win vs CSU and maybe an 8-4 season is playoff worthy
 #15130  by gofurman
 Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:52 pm
from my earlier thread on scouting CSU - way to steal my thread Jackal ;)... it's almost as bad as plagiarism LOL

Having fun w off-season stuff:

Big South Pre-season rankings:
1. Kennesaw State 134 (14)
2. Monmouth 122 (5)
3. Charleston Southern 79 (1)
4. Campbell 73
5. Gardner-Webb 67
6. Hampton 64
7. Presbyterian 21
*North Alabama is not eligible for the Big South Championship

*That's actually higher than I would have thought...

At the end of 2017 the actually beat FBS(?) Liberty and then played ELon close twice (2017 and 2018).. on the other hand CSU got whooped by KSU, Monmouth and CItadel at the end of 2018. CSU did beat Gardner-Webb 16-0 late 2018 so they aren't that bad. Still, we SHOULD win
 #15139  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:49 pm
The Big South is not a particularly strong football conference.

Kennesaw State would be the equivalent of a good SoCon team, and beat the stuffing out of everyone in that conference.

CSU is picked to finish 3rd. The team picked behind them, Campbell, went 1-4 in the conference last year and lost to Kennesaw 49-0.
fupaladin01 liked this
 #15141  by gofurman
 Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:36 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:49 pm
The Big South is not a particularly strong football conference.

Kennesaw State would be the equivalent of a good SoCon team, and beat the stuffing out of everyone in that conference.

CSU is picked to finish 3rd. The team picked behind them, Campbell, went 1-4 in the conference last year and lost to Kennesaw 49-0.
Agree... though Monmouth apparently has done decently well and CSU is ranked about where they are. Just saying we NEED this win
 #15151  by fufanatic
 Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:29 am
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

As you said, KSU was supposed to be an easy win - we see how that went.
That was under the old regime, and despite going down 35-0 early and being down 49-14 at half (YIKES!), the Paladins actually almost came back to win that one. Held the Owls to 3 second half points and lost 52-42. I bet if they had played a 5th quarter the Paladins would have won. CH won't let anything like that happen.
FU69 liked this
 #15153  by The Jackal
 Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:43 am
fufanatic wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:29 am
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

As you said, KSU was supposed to be an easy win - we see how that went.
That was under the old regime, and despite going down 35-0 early and being down 49-14 at half (YIKES!), the Paladins actually almost came back to win that one. Held the Owls to 3 second half points and lost 52-42. I bet if they had played a 5th quarter the Paladins would have won. CH won't let anything like that happen.
We will know Furman is truly "back" when we pour it on a team like Charleston Southern/Gardner Webb/Presbyterian
Jasper, MNORM liked this
 #15212  by FurmanEagle
 Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:07 pm
Between them adjusting to an entirely new offense, and losing significant players on both sides of the ball, the Dins should be able to win comfortably at home. Let’s get ready to ride that first W into a big season!
dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #15213  by gofurman
 Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:36 pm
rather them stay run-based but maybe it's a chance to get an early W and practice pass D against an opponent we should beat. I want some strong pass D. I believe in our run D already.
 #15510  by gofurman
 Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:02 pm
for those who care - and it's interesting at least... Furman is currently a 20 point Favorite over Charleston Southern. I would say that sounds roughly right.
 #15520  by Affirm
 Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:42 pm
gofurman wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:02 pm
for those who care - and it's interesting at least... Furman is currently a 20 point Favorite over Charleston Southern. I would say that sounds roughly right.
You mean there are Furman people reading this who would not care? I do not believe that.
Actually I wish we could win that game by 40 points. Although whatever statement that result would make may be soon obliterated by VT and/or Georgia State, we still need to make the statement if we can.
 #15522  by cavedweller2
 Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:00 pm
Dont underestimate the performance the Paladins are going to put on in Blacksburg. It will be game 3. They do not comprehend what is coming to play them.
FUBeAR liked this