• CBS Sports has Furman and UNCG in the latest 68 team Bracketology. Last 4 In

#12024  by Paladin91
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:14 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:11 pm
There is no way UNCG gets in without putting in their best wins (Furman 2x). It is either both or neither if I had to bet.. and I doubt it’s both....
UNCG at least has a resume, they were in the big dance last year. Better conference record than FU. They will take UNCG before FU.
 #12028  by Paladin91
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:19 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:16 pm
Resume? Who did they beat? Furman. That is their best win. Furman has the best win of all mid majors on the bubble. Especially if Nova wins their tourney.
You really think they are going to look at Furman's wins against Villanova and Loyola, which occurred back in November (4 months ago). Or do you think they're going to more heavily look at who won head to head against each other more recently? I would bet on the latter.
 #12029  by Paladin91
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:22 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:17 pm
Disclaimer: I think they are both more worthy than many other P5 bubble teams. I just don’t see how they can clearly pick either UNCG or Furman with confidence. So they’ll can both.
You may be right here - they'll put in a bigger school like Ohio St. that can bring fans, especially after our pathetic fan showing in Asheville.
 #12033  by PaladinPower
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:37 pm
I think wins matter. Furman has the best one. And if UNCG is in the discussion, their best win should be also in the discussion (Furman). They also lost on a neutral court by 4 with their best player injured. Can’t have one without the other. Furman also top 45 in off and def efficiency since February. This team wasn’t just good in November...They are still good...top 68 in the nation good...
 #12034  by Paladin91
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:51 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
I think wins matter. Furman has the best one. And if UNCG is in the discussion, their best win should be also in the discussion (Furman). They also lost on a neutral court by 4 with their best player injured. Can’t have one without the other. Furman also top 45 in off and def efficiency since February. This team wasn’t just good in November...They are still good...top 68 in the nation good...
I don't think you can look at just wins - you have to look at losses too.
UNCG had 6 losses - Wofford x 3 (likely 6 seed), Kentucky (2 or 1 seed), LSU (2 or 1 seed), Furman (bubble)
FU had 7 losses - UNCG x 2 (bubble), Wofford x2 (likely 6 seed), LSU (2 or 1 seed), ETSU, Samford
FU's losses to ETSU and Samford stick out. UNCG played LSU closer than FU as well.
 #12036  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:07 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:51 pm
PaladinPower wrote:
I don't think you can look at just wins - you have to look at losses too.
UNCG had 6 losses - Wofford x 3 (likely 6 seed), Kentucky (2 or 1 seed), LSU (2 or 1 seed), Furman (bubble)
FU had 7 losses - UNCG x 2 (bubble), Wofford x2 (likely 6 seed), LSU (2 or 1 seed), ETSU, Samford
FU's losses to ETSU and Samford stick out. UNCG played LSU closer than FU as well.

Yeah, don't highlight the LSU score difference and not bring up the Wofford score difference, UNCG got super creamed by Wofford twice and we almost beat Wofford twice, you should bring that up as well
MNORM liked this
 #12038  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:21 pm
Fessor wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:16 pm
Rule #1: Head-to-head trumps all else, unless some extenuating circumstance.

Was Rafferty's injury an extenuating circumstance? I think that's the argument Furman has to make. Otherwise, you lost two of three in head-to-head with UNCG.

I think it could be considered that

But we certainly get more OOC bonus points than UNCG with our Nova win, that's why our NET is still so good, and even more so if Nova goes on to win the Big East