• Bubble Watch!

#10996  by fufanatic
 Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:00 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:46 pm
ESPN says FU is still a possible at large despite the WC loss with "work to do". I'm not buying it but I hope they are right.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... oblem-2019
I would agree with your assessment, I think we are playing to secure an NIT bid at this point as we head into the SoCon Tourney. Would have to think we are an incredibly strong candidate for that tourney.

However, in my opinion it's not crazy to imagine that a Furman team that wins the final two regular season games, wins in the quarters and semis and loses close in the finals to Wofford, UNCG or ETSU wouldn't at least be in contention for a final at-large spot. Would be 25-7, have at least one Quad 1 win, a handful of Quad 2 wins, road losses to LSU, ETSU, UNCG and Wofford and home losses to Wofford and Samford in addition to a neutral site title game loss. In this scenario we get revenge on Samford (maybe twice in a week) and then get another solid win in semis barring any major upsets. With how strong the SoCon is this year, that's not a terrible resume. Again, I think it's a stretch, but worth mentioning.
dornb liked this
 #10997  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:07 pm
fufanatic wrote:
apaladin wrote:
ESPN says FU is still a possible at large despite the WC loss with "work to do". I'm not buying it but I hope they are right.

I would agree with your assessment, I think we are playing to secure an NIT bid at this point as we head into the SoCon Tourney. Would have to think we are an incredibly strong candidate for that tourney.

However, in my opinion it's not crazy to imagine that a Furman team that wins the final two regular season games, wins in the quarters and semis and loses close in the finals to Wofford, UNCG or ETSU wouldn't at least be in contention for a final at-large spot. Would be 25-7, have at least one Quad 1 win, a handful of Quad 2 wins, road losses to LSU, ETSU, UNCG and Wofford and home losses to Wofford and Samford in addition to a neutral site title game loss. In this scenario we get revenge on Samford (maybe twice in a week) and then get another solid win in semis barring any major upsets. With how strong the SoCon is this year, that's not a terrible resume. Again, I think it's a stretch, but worth mentioning.

We would be 26-7
But I don't see them taking a 7 loss SoCon team that most everyone in the national scene feels played a weak OOC slate

If we don't win the Tourney ill be happy with NIT though
 #11002  by gman
 Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:05 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
apaladin wrote:

We would be 26-7
But I don't see them taking a 7 loss SoCon team that most everyone in the national scene feels played a weak OOC slate

What are your talking about? It’s our strong OOC slate that is keeping us in the national discussion. I will admit that we need to stop scheduling the lower division teams.
 #11003  by Paul C
 Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:17 pm
An NIT bid would be progress for this program.

An NCAA bid would be better, but let’s not lose sight of progress.
dornb and 1 others liked this
 #11004  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:22 pm
gman wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
apaladin wrote:

We would be 26-7

What are your talking about? It’s our strong OOC slate that is keeping us in the national discussion. I will admit that we need to stop scheduling the lower division teams.

Have you been paying attention?

Check out our Sagarin strength of schedule
Subtract our 3 lower division wins from our record
We have D-1 wins against 5 bad D-1 teams
Our good wins are taking major hits, Nova is in a free fall and Loyola is too
 #11006  by gman
 Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:35 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
gman wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
apaladin wrote:

We would be 26-7

All I’m saying is, our OOC schedule has not been part of the national discussion. Sagarin means absolutely nothing. It’s the NET that counts. The last time I checked, we remain in the top 50. At least you aren’t blaming our demise on floppers and referees.
Last edited by gman on Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #11007  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:40 pm
gman wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
gman wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
apaladin wrote:

We would be 26-7

All I’m saying is, our OOC schedule has not been part of the national discussion. Sagarin means absolutely nothing. It’s the NET that counts. The last time I checked, we remain in the top 50.
Of course it has, its the reason everyone questioned us being ranked in the first place
We have 1 good win OOC, and its no longer an elite win (just a good win)(Nova)
We played 1 other good team OOC (LSU) and we lost by 18
 #11008  by gman
 Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:42 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:40 pm
gman wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
gman wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
apaladin wrote:

We would be 26-7

All I’m saying is, our OOC schedule has not been part of the national discussion. Sagarin means absolutely nothing. It’s the NET that counts. The last time I checked, we remain in the top 50.
Of course it has, its the reason everyone questioned us being ranked in the first place
We have 1 good win OOC, and its no longer an elite win (just a good win)(Nova)
We played 1 other good team OOC (LSU) and we lost by 18
Who is this “everyone” and “national scene” you keep referring to?
 #11009  by MNORM
 Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:43 pm
gman wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
apaladin wrote:

We would be 26-7

You'll need to take that up with the league office. Everyone in the SoCon plays (at least) three games against lower opponents. My understanding is this is a league agreement. Wofford played 3 lower tier teams and beat them by 59, 51, and 54 respectively. This is offset by their scheduling SIX games against power conferences...we scheduled two. What really need are better opponents to replace the likes of UNCA, USC Upstate, UNCW, Chas Southern.
Last edited by MNORM on Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #11010  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:45 pm
gman you are just arguing to argue dude, I am pointing out the facts about our OOC, you can believe it or not that's up to you
 #11011  by gman
 Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:02 pm
MNORM wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:43 pm
gman wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
apaladin wrote:

We would be 26-7

You'll need to take that up with the league office. Everyone in the SoCon plays (at least) three games against lower opponents. My understanding is this is a league agreement. Wofford played 3 lower tier teams and beat them by 59, 51, and 54 respectively. This is offset by their scheduling SIX games against power conferences...we scheduled two. What really need are better opponents to replace the likes of UNCA, USC Upstate, UNCW, Chas Southern.
I’m referring to teams like Bob Jones and North Greenville.
 #11012  by gman
 Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:03 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:45 pm
gman you are just arguing to argue dude, I am pointing out the facts about our OOC, you can believe it or not that's up to you
The fact is, our OOC schedule has not hurt us so far.