• Roster update

#15446  by Affirm
 Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:34 pm
OK. Glad to hear that there may be a lot more people going on here than I thought. I hope that is true. I wish more of them would become members and post, assuming they have respectful and relevant and generally supportive commentary. I have no doubt than many, many people could post more interesting and more valuable comments than I do.
 #15447  by cavedweller2
 Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:02 pm
affirm wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:32 pm
OK. Glad to hear that there may be a lot more people going on here than I thought. I hope that is true. I wish more of them would become members and post, assuming they have respectful and relevant and generally supportive commentary. I have no doubt than many, many people could post more interesting and more valuable comments than I do.
Irreverent and disrespectful posts are what has been missing around here for a while. It aint what it used to be.
AstroDin, FUPlayer74 liked this
 #15452  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:49 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:02 pm
affirm wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:32 pm
Irreverent and disrespectful posts are what has been missing around here for a while. It aint what it used to be.
FUBeAR begs to differ. His posts are almost exclusively irrelevant.
 #15453  by Paladin91
 Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:46 pm
I agree - the football forum is a lot less active than it was in the early 2000s. I think message boards like this are slowly becoming a thing of the past with twitter and other social media.

Moreover, basketball posts outnumber football posts on this site by about 6,000 to 4,000. With the recent Villanova AD hire, it might lean more that way in the future, but I'm hopeful CH will bring back a football dynasty. With all that said, perhaps this site should be renamed the Unofficial Furman Basketball Page. :D
 #15454  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:39 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:46 pm
I agree - the football forum is a lot less active than it was in the early 2000s. I think message boards like this are slowly becoming a thing of the past with twitter and other social media.

Moreover, basketball posts outnumber football posts on this site by about 6,000 to 4,000. With the recent Villanova AD hire, it might lean more that way in the future, but I'm hopeful CH will bring back a football dynasty. With all that said, perhaps this site should be renamed the Unofficial Furman Basketball Page. :D
REPORT THIS POST
Use this form to report the selected post to the forum moderators and board administrators.
 #15458  by AstroDin
 Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:04 am
CCH keeps building his program - the DINS become regular playoff participants. All is good.

I miss some of the original UFFPers - maybe they will drift back in the future.
 #15459  by The Jackal
 Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:33 am
AstroDin wrote:
CCH keeps building his program - the DINS become regular playoff participants. All is good.

We are coming out of a dark period in this program's history. I think Furman football lost a lot of fans over the last 10 years and really never connected with an entire generation of young graduates.

It was almost three years ago, October 1, 2016, that just about did me in with Furman football. At half time against Kennesaw State Furman was losing 49-14 at home (and, frankly, we were lucky it was even that close). That was the nadir of years of uninspired play, weak recruiting, our facilities were to the point of being condemned, rivals leaving the conference, and staring at a very bleak future.

What exactly was the draw of Furman football beyond allegiance to the alma mater?

Perhaps this new era will bring folks back. Small programs have inherent challenges with generating fans - access being paramount. We aren't Monday Night Football.

We are doing a much better job of fan engagement. The product is better. Putting interviews and videos on the web are critical to keeping loyal fans to a small program engaged with what is happening on the ground. Those fans stay invested, they come to the games, they support the Paladin Club.

In my opinion, Furman seemed to operate for a long time like name recognition alone was going to amount to relevance. It won't. College football is saturated with programs. There are peer-like institutions now in the conference were 15-20 years ago, there really weren't any. You've got to have something to sell, and sell it hard.
76MrMoto, MNORM, QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #15462  by apaladin
 Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:57 am
What Jackal said. Pretty much sums it up. Where are Hawg, Good Knight, Bootie? I miss them and others.
 #15464  by cavedweller2
 Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:20 am
apaladin wrote:
What Jackal said. Pretty much sums it up. Where are Hawg, Good Knight, Bootie? I miss them and others.
Cant speak for Hawg and Bootie but they are still around. Unfortunately GK went to his reward a while back. 5 years finally happened for him. I miss that tard.
 #15473  by fufanatic
 Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:12 am
AstroDin wrote:

I agree, on both points. The board isn't quite as lively as it was in early days (I first found it around the time of the Wyoming game in 2001 so can't speak to before that), but this iteration features a lot of passionate people and good banter. Being an out of towner that can't step foot on campus more than a couple of times a year tops, I'm not sure how connected I would be to Furman athletics if it wasn't for this board, since most of my friend group only appears after a win over Villanova or a halftime lead at Florida. It can be pretty lonely celebrating a win or mourning a loss with no one else that cares, so this board takes the place of that for sure. Long live the UFFP.
bj93, fupaladin01, paladinfan12 and 1 others liked this
 #15474  by Fred Garvin
 Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:15 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Cant speak for Hawg and Bootie but they are still around. Unfortunately GK went to his reward a while back. 5 years finally happened for him. I miss that tard.
I think fittucker/buckfutter/cole horner began GK's slide to PHIC status......the infiltration of furmanfans.com remains a shining example of what can happen when a futile and stupid gesture is done....
cavedweller2 liked this
 #15492  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:51 pm
The Jackal wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

We are coming out of a dark period in this program's history. I think Furman football lost a lot of fans over the last 10 years and really never connected with an entire generation of young graduates.

It was almost three years ago, October 1, 2016, that just about did me in with Furman football. At half time against Kennesaw State Furman was losing 49-14 at home (and, frankly, we were lucky it was even that close). That was the nadir of years of uninspired play, weak recruiting, our facilities were to the point of being condemned, rivals leaving the conference, and staring at a very bleak future.

What exactly was the draw of Furman football beyond allegiance to the alma mater?

Perhaps this new era will bring folks back. Small programs have inherent challenges with generating fans - access being paramount. We aren't Monday Night Football.

We are doing a much better job of fan engagement. The product is better. Putting interviews and videos on the web are critical to keeping loyal fans to a small program engaged with what is happening on the ground. Those fans stay invested, they come to the games, they support the Paladin Club.

In my opinion, Furman seemed to operate for a long time like name recognition alone was going to amount to relevance. It won't. College football is saturated with programs. There are peer-like institutions now in the conference were 15-20 years ago, there really weren't any. You've got to have something to sell, and sell it hard.
I agree with everything you said here.

Seem to remember though, a few years back, when a start-up program came out of the gate selling & marketing hard with videos on the web & efforts at fan engagement, you found it ‘somewhat undignified.’

I’m glad to see you (and Furman Football / Athletics) have updated your (their) thinking on the topic.
 #15496  by Flagman
 Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:51 pm
It will be interesting to see what changes to the gameday experience we get from the new sports marketing guy.
 #15499  by gofurman
 Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:02 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Bootie is dominating them Ninja competitions :D . He came and spoke to the team not long ago if I am not mistaken.. ! I wondered if that's what happened with GK. I knew he was getting up there in age. RIP, GK
Last edited by gofurman on Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #15505  by The Jackal
 Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:35 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:51 pm
The Jackal wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

I agree with everything you said here.

Seem to remember though, a few years back, when a start-up program came out of the gate selling & marketing hard with videos on the web & efforts at fan engagement, you found it ‘somewhat undignified.’

I’m glad to see you (and Furman Football / Athletics) have updated your (their) thinking on the topic.
Oh, I still think what Mercer was doing a few years ago was ridiculous and differs starkly from what Furman does.