• The notoriety of a coach is determined by the execution of his players under pressure.

#9557  by Fuonetime
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:21 pm
The above quote was a favorite of legendary NBA analyist and head coach, Hubie Brown. The Paladins have a 10 point lead with 3:41 left in the game. Here is a snapshot of those final minutes of play: Mocs - FG 2 for 2... 3 point 2 for 4... FT 4 for 4...turnovers 1... Paladins - FG 0 for 1.... 3 point 0 for 4....FT 2 (MR) for 3....turnovers 3. Players play and coaches coach but this was a total meltdown.. I love CBR and he has done a fantastic job but there needs to be some serious consideration given to protecting a lead and player assignments and expectations. He is capable of making decisions in the best interest of the team and and making the necessary adjustments and I trust he will do it. However, for this game I congratulate Coach Padgett on the execution of his players under pressure.
Jasper liked this
 #9563  by dinhead
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:48 pm
Fuonetime wrote:
The above quote was a favorite of legendary NBA analyist and head coach, Hubie Brown. The Paladins have a 10 point lead with 3:41 left in the game. Here is a snapshot of those final minutes of play: Mocs - FG 2 for 2... 3 point 2 for 4... FT 4 for 4...turnovers 1... Paladins - FG 0 for 1.... 3 point 0 for 4....FT 2 (MR) for 3....turnovers 3. Players play and coaches coach but this was a total meltdown.. I love CBR and he has done a fantastic job but there needs to be some serious consideration given to protecting a lead and player assignments and expectations. He is capable of making decisions in the best interest of the team and and making the necessary adjustments and I trust he will do it. However, for this game I congratulate Coach Padgett on the execution of his players under pressure.
I get what you're saying but Furman's won more close games than we've lost. We fed off that close Loyola win and came through in the clutch against Villanova, Gardner-Webb and Western Carolina. The scary part is that we were literally 4 plays away from losing all four of those games. No team is going to be clutch all the time and a little loss of confidence can tip the scales in a heartbeat.

You're never as good as your best win and never as bad as your worst loss.
 #9590  by Jasper
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:16 pm
Fuonetime wrote:
Necessary adjustments were not made last night and there in lies the culprit. Samford scored four easy layups on simple pick and rolls when we tried doubling the ball at the top of the key with our
big man. Rafferty was exhausted and could not get back in time. That would have happened to Kress once.
Affirm, Fuonetime liked this
 #9591  by tya1
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:23 pm
In the last few minutes we... (no particular order)

Missed a point blank layup after an offensive rebound.
Lost the ball on a turnover when the ball was dribbled off a leg.
Missed the front end of a 1-and-1.
Turned it over on a 10 second violation.
Stepped on the baseline while receiving an in-bounds pass.
Lost the ball somehow while trying to get off the last shot.

Would someone point out how any of these are coaching errors? I understand the original comment was about players under pressure, but the record of this team in tight games has been much better than average.

The premise of this post seems more than a little shallow and pompous.
MNORM, fufanatic liked this
 #9596  by Affirm
 Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:17 am
We want to encourage our good coach, allow him to develop and improve, and keep him here as long as we can AND as long as he keeps improving/winning/running a clean program.
But he has not reached a level, nor has FU men’s basketball, that is above criticism.
Yes we are better than 5 years ago, but we are far from where we want to be in my opinion.
I am not satisfied with trailing Wofford in anything.
Wofford obviously is able to be where they are in men’s basketball. I have not accepted that we should not be able to be at least as good (not just once in a while but consistently).
My biggest point is that criticisms often are due to the desire for Furman to be the best we can be rather than being satisfied that we are better compared to some horrible period of time during the past 35 years.
Let’s be consistently as good as (or better than) we ever have been in our history, not just consistently better than we were 5 years ago.
(And IF that requires getting a new coach and/or improved arena [not saying that it does, just saying IF), let’s strive to make sure resources are there for that to happen.)
I want us to be consistently in the top 100. Being consistently in the top 100 should allow us to be in the top 64 and/or SoCon champions more frequently than we have over the last 40 years.
Jasper, fufanatic, underjack and 2 others liked this
 #9598  by CharlieFU
 Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:14 am
affirm wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:17 am
We want to encourage our good coach, allow him to develop and improve, and keep him here as long as we can AND as long as he keeps improving/winning/running a clean program.
But he has not reached a level, nor has FU men’s basketball, that is above criticism.
Yes we are better than 5 years ago, but we are far from where we want to be in my opinion.
I am not satisfied with trailing Wofford in anything.
Wofford obviously is able to be where they are in men’s basketball. I have not accepted that we should not be able to be at least as good (not just once in a while but consistently).
My biggest point is that criticisms often are due to the desire for Furman to be the best we can be rather than being satisfied that we are better compared to some horrible period of time during the past 35 years.
Let’s be consistently as good as (or better than) we ever have been in our history, not just consistently better than we were 5 years ago.
(And IF that requires getting a new coach and/or improved arena [not saying that it does, just saying IF), let’s strive to make sure resources are there for that to happen.)
I want us to be consistently in the top 100. Being consistently in the top 100 should allow us to be in the top 64 and/or SoCon champions more frequently than we have over the last 40 years.

Agreed! And having talked to Coach Richey and heard him talk, i know he realizes we have a lot of work to do yet. Both in terms of recruiting and in facilities/marketing/game day experience etc.

I suppose my frustration with some people is that the comments seem so very negative. One loss and the season is done? There has to be balance--and that is on both ends. I said let's enjoy that ride we had cuz i knew what was coming. We were not a top 25 team. And we are not not good either. Half the time it seems some delight in our failure; i am hoping they don't, but sometimes i wonder--just as others wonder about those with purple hazed glasses thru which some see things.

Gotta keep pushing. Not satisfied. And if you want to talk directly to me (and I will tell you what I think--often wrong but never in doubt!) or Coach Richey about the issues, his radio show is tonight at 6:30pm at Shortfield's. I have offered this before...i will buy you a beer. Flagman and few other regulars are inelgible.
 #9600  by GOAT
 Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:50 am
The players and coaches want to win the SoCon and play in the NCAA tourn a 100 times more than anyone on this board. They came to FU with that goal and work hard everyday to achieve that goal. No one is more disappointed in the lose than the players and coaches. Criticizing them on this board will not help achieve that goal. It may make you feel better but I will never understand why.

If you have not watched the last ten practices, your opinion on who should be playing has no merit.
This team can win every game left on its schedule. They can also lose many of them. This team also can win the SoCon tourn but it may not happen. I still like the direction of this program. Go FU basketball.
underjack, MNORM and 1 others liked this
 #9604  by soconjohn
 Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:38 am
There's no reason to get too upset about one loss...Goals are still achievable...The one goal is all that matters...I know this isn't soccer, but people talked about France and how they were not world cup winning material after the first round this summer...then the knockout rounds happened...At some point, the best teams come together at the right times...I believe Furman is one of those teams.
PaladinPower, Bootie, GOAT liked this
 #9611  by Affirm
 Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:16 pm
GOAT wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:50 am
The players and coaches want to win the SoCon and play in the NCAA tourn a 100 times more than anyone on this board. They came to FU with that goal and work hard everyday to achieve that goal. No one is more disappointed in the lose than the players and coaches. Criticizing them on this board will not help achieve that goal. It may make you feel better but I will never understand why.

If you have not watched the last ten practices, your opinion on who should be playing has no merit.
This team can win every game left on its schedule. They can also lose many of them. This team also can win the SoCon tourn but it may not happen. I still like the direction of this program. Go FU basketball.
I believe what you say about the players and coaches wanting to win. I believe what has been said about the need for a balance.
My frustration and disappointment are with those who control and with those who should support the program. This includes Board of Trustees and Administration and alumni. (Of course, the Paladin Club and the local business community and the students and should - and do - support the program, though that could increase; but in the context that I am considering, it seems to be much more the Trustees, Administration, and alumni that are important.)
So my feeling is that as long as the great majority of people on this message board are always highly supportive and highly satisfied and highly optimistic and pleased about the long-term direction of the program, that is going to detract from any prodding and encouragement to those who control and should support this program in the long term. Or at least, I wish those who write on this board would continue to indicate the need for more long term support and long term improvement, even while being appropriately supportive of the team in the present.
Also, I believe that often times the way that certain programs have gotten good and stayed good have started out with a great head coach; and we may, or may not, have that great head coach already. If we truly believe that we do have that great coach already, let's give him the support we need to in order to retain him and in order to facilitate his ability to succeed.
Fuonetime liked this
 #9635  by Fuonetime
 Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:35 pm
The word choice of “notoriety” could be questioned but the substitution of “reputation” serves the same purpose. I rather like the choice of “notoriety” in this context. CBR has done an outstanding job and we are fortunate to have him. Based on his comments CBR is not content with our execution in this game in particular and will make the adjustments that are needed. The Socon is very strong this year and for the Paladins to reach the goals they have set and it is imperative the team execute especially under pressure. Good luck Paladins!
FU03times liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by The Jackal

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:38 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.