• SoCon Season Part 2

#9551  by apaladin
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:38 pm
With the first 3 spots pretty much assured in some order between WC, UNCG and ETSU and the bottom 3 spots pretty much assured in some order with Citadel, WCU and VMI that leaves 4-7 to be decided between FU, UTC, Mercer and Samford. There's really no difference in finishing 4 or 5th as these 2 will play in round 2 of the tourney. Finishing 6th means you most likely face the #3 team the first game and would have to beat the top 3 in 3 days, barring upsets.
Finishing 7th would be the worst case as it would mean an extra game. FU and UTC have 4 home and 5 away left. Samford and Mercer have 5 home and 4 away left. Bad news for FU is we have all 3 teams we are battling on the road left. UTC has Samford and Mercer on the road. Samford only has Mercer on the road. Mercer has all 3 at home just the opposite of FU. Based on this the scheduling advantage ranks like this: 1. Mercer, 2. Samford, 3. UTC, 4. Furman.
In regards to the top teams FU has all 3 at home, UTC has all 3 at home, Samford has ETSU and WC at home and Mercer has WC and UNCG at home. Just going by the schedule it looks like FU has the hardest road to finishing either 4th or 5th.
The good news is we have a two game lead on both Mercer and Samford even though the schedule heavily favors both Mercer and Samford. We really need to beat the bottom 3, take 2 of 3 between the teams we are battling and steal at least one at home against the top 3. That would give us a 6-3 second half record which should be enough to finish 4th or 5th. Beating Mercer and Samford on the road will be tough. If we could beat Mercer on the road next Saturday, that would give us the tie-breaker. with them. It could really come down to the last week when we are at Samford and UTC. Time will tell. Below is what each team has left:
FU: Home: ETSU, UNCG, VMI, WC
Away: Citadel, Mercer, WCU, Samford, UTC
UTC: Home: ETSU, UNCG, WC, FU
Away: VMI, Samford, Citadel, Mercer, WCU
SAM: Home: ETSU, WCU, UTC, FU, WC
Away: UNCG, VMI, Mecer, Citadel
Mercer: Home: WC, FU, Samford, UTC, UNCG
Road: WCU, ETSU, VMI, Citadel
 #9571  by dinhead
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:54 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:38 pm
With the first 3 spots pretty much assured in some order between WC, UNCG and ETSU and the bottom 3 spots pretty much assured in some order with Citadel, WCU and VMI that leaves 4-7 to be decided between FU, UTC, Mercer and Samford. There's really no difference in finishing 4 or 5th as these 2 will play in round 2 of the tourney. Finishing 6th means you most likely face the #3 team the first game and would have to beat the top 3 in 3 days, barring upsets.
Finishing 7th would be the worst case as it would mean an extra game. FU and UTC have 4 home and 5 away left. Samford and Mercer have 5 home and 4 away left. Bad news for FU is we have all 3 teams we are battling on the road left. UTC has Samford and Mercer on the road. Samford only has Mercer on the road. Mercer has all 3 at home just the opposite of FU. Based on this the scheduling advantage ranks like this: 1. Mercer, 2. Samford, 3. UTC, 4. Furman.
In regards to the top teams FU has all 3 at home, UTC has all 3 at home, Samford has ETSU and WC at home and Mercer has WC and UNCG at home. Just going by the schedule it looks like FU has the hardest road to finishing either 4th or 5th.
The good news is we have a two game lead on both Mercer and Samford even though the schedule heavily favors both Mercer and Samford. We really need to beat the bottom 3, take 2 of 3 between the teams we are battling and steal at least one at home against the top 3. That would give us a 6-3 second half record which should be enough to finish 4th or 5th. Beating Mercer and Samford on the road will be tough. If we could beat Mercer on the road next Saturday, that would give us the tie-breaker. with them. It could really come down to the last week when we are at Samford and UTC. Time will tell. Below is what each team has left:
FU: Home: ETSU, UNCG, VMI, WC
Away: Citadel, Mercer, WCU, Samford, UTC
UTC: Home: ETSU, UNCG, WC, FU
Away: VMI, Samford, Citadel, Mercer, WCU
SAM: Home: ETSU, WCU, UTC, FU, WC
Away: UNCG, VMI, Mecer, Citadel
Mercer: Home: WC, FU, Samford, UTC, UNCG
Road: WCU, ETSU, VMI, Citadel
A couple weeks ago I thought it was great that we still had three home games left against the top three teams so we could make a run at the top spot. However recent losses have changed all that. Besides VMI at home there are few easy wins on the remaining schedule and a 6th place finish that was once unthinkable is now a real possibility.

Hopefully we'll clinch a top 5 spot with a few games remaining so we can use those games to rest some players and prepare for the tournament.
 #9573  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:05 pm
The funny thing is I feel if things finished up #1 Wofford # 2 UNCG #3 ETSU #4/5 Furman/UTC #6 Samford, I would actually like that road better for us than having the #3 seed

Still a good ways to go however, till then lets see how this week on the road goes
 #9620  by apaladin
 Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:48 am
Before last Saturday we were pulling for the top 3 teams to lose. Since we are out of contention for a top 3 spot I guess we now have to pull for the top 3 to win when they are playing the teams we are competing with for the 4th and 5th spots.
This week we need to pull for:
Thursday:
Wofford over Mercer at Mercer
ETSU over Samford at Samford
Saturday:
ETSU over UTC at UTC
 #9628  by apaladin
 Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:33 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:49 am
Furman is two games back of ETSU and still has to play ETSU at Timmons, how is Furman out of contention for third?
Not technically, but do you see ETSU losing 2-3 more games than Furman in the second half? EX: If FU has a good second half and goes 7-2, ETSU would have to go 5-4 just to tie them, or 4-5 to finish ahead of them. Don't see that happening. I really think ETSU is the favorite in Asheville.
 #9630  by soconjohn
 Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:29 pm
ETSU has games at UNCG and Samford Thursday...Furman has more favorable schedule over second half of schedule, so yes I think so...ETSU has not beaten any of the other top three on the road, so why wouldn't I?
 #9631  by soconjohn
 Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:30 pm
Again, Furman is the only team that had to go to: @UNCG, @Wofford and @ETSU before anyone else...People forget that I think.
 #9632  by stonemd
 Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:48 pm
I'd rather play Wofford in the semis and ETSU in the finals
 #9636  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:38 pm
stonemd wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:48 pm
I'd rather play Wofford in the semis and ETSU in the finals
Same here, Woff in semi's and ETSU/UNCG in finals would be my preference as well, which is why 4th/5th is probably fine

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by The Jackal

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:38 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.