• SDSU - NIL / Collective

#83901  by gofurman
 Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:14 pm
Heard during the Frisco game that SDSU is working to have an NIL Collective (MONEY) to try and pay to keep some players.

I had made the point earlier that one thing the portal might do was create parity as the Cooper Kupps and Tony Romos or Dexter Coakleys would leave for $ at a P5.

If the SDSUs of the world can start paying NIL its going to be EVEN harder for Furman to compete. If that happens - and nothing surprises me these days - the few FCS that can pay some $$ may begin to dominate even more as most FCS schools cannot pay a dime and so will be lucky to keep a Ryan Miller but an SDSU (since they said they are working on a collective pay player set up) will keep more Ryan Millers and Darren Graingers. I swear they had 4 or 5 NFL possible players today / certainly 5 -7 Power 5 level players - how did they achieve that and not lose any to the almighty DOLLAR? Surely Minnesota or Illinois or someone would pay 50-200K to take their best players. And , since the NFL is never a given, those kids should take that money !!!
 #83902  by AllTimeFU
 Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:51 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:14 pm
Heard during the Frisco game that SDSU is working to have an NIL Collective (MONEY) to try and pay to keep some players.

I had made the point earlier that one thing the portal might do was create parity as the Cooper Kupps and Tony Romos or Dexter Coakleys would leave for $ at a P5.

If the SDSUs of the world can start paying NIL its going to be EVEN harder for Furman to compete. If that happens - and nothing surprises me these days - the few FCS that can pay some $$ may begin to dominate even more as most FCS schools cannot pay a dime and so will be lucky to keep a Ryan Miller but an SDSU (since they said they are working on a collective pay player set up) will keep more Ryan Millers and Darren Graingers. I swear they had 4 or 5 NFL possible players today / certainly 5 -7 Power 5 level players - how did they achieve that and not lose any to the almighty DOLLAR? Surely Minnesota or Illinois or someone would pay 50-200K to take their best players. And , since the NFL is never a given, those kids should take that money !!!
While we can’t / won’t compete with some of the big money bags collectives, is it possible to partner better with Greenville and the local businesses for some bene’s? Furman families get x% off at hotels and restaurants?
 #83912  by Roundball
 Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:04 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:12 pm
Albeit minimal I am sure but FU already has an NIL thingy.
Yes. Furman does have a NIL collective for basketball and football. It is completely separate from Athletic Funds donations.