• SoCon Week 5

#76188  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:19 pm
What a dud week we have coming up next week:
The 4 best teams besides FU play the 4 worst teams, Should be 4 routs!
 #76254  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:01 am
The Citadel's offense is averaging 5 points a game and has scored only two touchdowns in 4 games. Their defense is surrendering over 42 points and 520 yards per game.

Wofford looks like the 1998 Rams by comparison, averaging 11.75 points and scoring 5 touchdowns. The Terriers at least have some respectable defensive numbers.

I do not believe anyone (besides one or two Wofford homers) expected either team to be good, but I'm not sure anyone expected them to be this bad.

There's a very real chance we could see both of those teams 0-9 going into their matchup the second to last game of the season. That would be . . . something.
 #76261  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:27 am
Tenn Tech and KSU both now 1-3, with 1 D2 win and 1 win against the other......

SoCon 100% the worst it has ever been overall, certainly makes things easier on our chances to run the table and get a top 4 seed, but take one loss and it could be hard to get a top 8 seed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
 #76263  by fupaladin01
 Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:37 am
FU Hoopla wrote:

SoCon 100% the worst it has ever been overall, certainly makes things easier on our chances to run the table and get a top 4 seed, but take one loss and it could be hard to get a top 8 seed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
This could be true... but I guarantee nobody wants to play FU or WCU in the first or second round.
 #76264  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:49 am
I think Chattanooga is good. Mercer is capable and Sammy is disappointing so far but still dangerous. The bottom 4 are bad with a capital B.
Davemeister liked this
 #76269  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:52 am
FU Hoopla wrote:

It'll be hard to lose an FCS game and get a seed period, regardless of the SoCon's overall strength.
FUBeAR liked this
 #76270  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:54 am
apaladin wrote:
I think Chattanooga is good. Mercer is capable and Sammy is disappointing so far but still dangerous. The bottom 4 are bad with a capital B.

Remember, the Mocs lost by two touchdowns to a team Mercer beat.
 #76274  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:22 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:54 am
apaladin wrote:
Remember, the Mocs lost by two touchdowns to a team Mercer beat.
But…they have a litany of excuses how that could have happened…

“A few things to consider about that game.
1. The Mocs had not played a single down of Football, and tUNA already had a full game of live action and week to correct their mistakes. (the biggest overall improvement on a team is usually between weeks 1 & 2).
2. #5 was on fire. He was the BEST PLAYER on the field that day. 5 catches for 172 yards and 3 TDs. There was not an answer. And he didn't play against the Bears the week before. I Don't know why. And of note, he has 13 catches for 120 yards and 1 tD in the three games since??? Some times things get into kids and they do super human things.
3. The Mocs QB had about 10 total plays of college football (with ZERO passes) under his belt coming into that game. Rightly so, Joe P was a bit hesitant to release the reins on that kid for at least the first quarter...subsequently, tUNA loaded the box and forced the Mocs to beat them with a run game that was still working out a ton of kinks and growing pains. Once Chase settled in, he was forced to climb out of a 21-0 deficit... which they actually made a valiant effort...but just ran out of gas in the fourth.”
 #76276  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:30 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:14 pm
In other news, App State played Wyoming on Saturday.

Wyoming had only 7 first downs, 208 yards of offense, 31 yards passing, and won the game.

https://appstatesports.com/sports/footb ... score/8609
You left out the best part...

4th 01:52 WYO - Hawkins,Jakorey 62 yd blocked field goal return (Gyllenborg,John Michael pass) 19 22

...and they went for 2...and made it.
Stumpy liked this
 #76278  by gman84
 Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:38 pm
Yep, exactly why stats can be misleading. 5 field goal attempts and the last one is blocked.
 #76279  by 'Din Djarin
 Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:43 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:19 pm
The 4 best teams besides FU play the 4 worst teams, Should be 4 routs!
I think all of us have been watching or observing the Southern Conference long enough to know that at least 2 of these potential routs are going sideways.
 #76286  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:18 pm
The Jackal wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

It'll be hard to lose an FCS game and get a seed period, regardless of the SoCon's overall strength.

MUCH easier for a Big Sky team or MVFC team to lose an FCS game and still land a top 8 seed if they happen to play the tougher teams in those conferences, if SoCon was not so terrible it would be easier to lose one and still get a seed as we would have more quality wins.................
 #76290  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:51 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:18 pm
The Jackal wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

MUCH easier for a Big Sky team or MVFC team to lose an FCS game and still land a top 8 seed if they happen to play the tougher teams in those conferences, if SoCon was not so terrible it would be easier to lose one and still get a seed as we would have more quality wins.................

I'm saying it's rare.

Furman's problem is it already has a loss, albeit to an SEC team.

Last season, the only seeded team with 2 losses was NDSU, who has lost to Arizona and #1 SDSU. I'm sure their track record and ability to fill their stadium at home didn't hurt.

Every other seed was 10-1 or 11-0.

Furman needs to play like any loss other than to South Carolina will probable end their ability to get a seed. Holy Cross probably isn't losing. William and Mary probably isn't losing. Incarnate Word probably isn't losing.