• College Basketball Officiating

#65115  by FurmAlum
 Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:05 pm
I was doing what a lot of WGO65 do and that was reading BS articles on the internet and I came across one about Kobe Bryant where he said he could barely watch college basketball because of the way it was officiated...ie "too many ticky tack fouls called". And I have to agree with him. I love to watch Furman but don't watch that many other games until the NCAA tournament. My unfavorites are:

The Phantom Foul - this is where a 3 point shooter gets slightly touched or breathed on 3 seconds after he shoots the ball and the Ref calls a foul. What are they thinking? SEE WOFFY GAME. We benefitted from that on a JP Pegues shot in the Samford game although I don't remember complaining about it then.

The Touch - Player drives down the lane and makes a layup and a foul is called on the drive because somebody allegedly touched him on "the floor" and the basket is disallowed. This actually penalizes the player that scored. If he makes it to the basket without losing the ball its not a foul.

The Late Game 3 Point Play - This one happens in the last few minutes of games when someone makes a layup and is barely touched and the Ref calls it. Almost always benefits the home team. In the first half these little bumps around the basket are rarely called.

The Woffy Floppy - Player with ball pivots and contacts defensive player. Defensive player falls down and the Ref is dumb enough to call it.

Block/Charge - Offensive player with ball absolutely runs over the defensive player like a bull in a china shop in Spain and the Ref calls a block. There ain't no way and I don't care if the defensive player was slightly moving.

Going to the Monitor/Flagrant 1 - Player accidentally elbows opponent above the shoulders after a rebound or 50 feet from the nearest play and they "go to the monitor" and delay the game for 10 minutes to find out what happened. If they have to "go to the monitor" to see what happened how bad can it be? If it wasn't intentional just let it go. And throw The Monitor in the garbage can.

Calling Technicals in Little Scrum after Loose Ball - Just separate them and get on with the game. Don't even think about "going to the monitor". It's in the trash can so that should be off the table.

Calling Technical on Bucky - Now that one I can agree with!

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.