• Incarnate Word

#61247  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:11 pm
This seems like an almost mathematical impossibility, but the Southland Conference has only two teams with a winning record - Incarnate Word and Southeastern Louisiana. UIW lost to Southeastern Louisiana.

So, UIW played only one conference game against a team that finished with a winning record, and they lost that game.

As best I can tell, UIW played only two games against teams with a winning record - SELA and 6-5 Prairie View A&M out of the SWAC.

Furman has played 6 ranked opponents.
dornb, din23, FU69 liked this
 #61251  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:34 pm
Only a 6,000 seat stadium. “Crowds” were from 1,900 to 3,200 for 5 home games so not much support.
FU69 liked this
 #61253  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:40 pm
They put up video game numbers.

On the one hand, they might be an elite team that hammers every team they play.

On the other hand, their numbers may be a product of just being the most talented team in a bad conference.

It would be kind of cool to see all our Texas folks show up in San Antonio, though. I don't recall the last time we've played in Texas, but it's been a while.
 #61254  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:41 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:34 pm
Only a 6,000 seat stadium. “Crowds” were from 1,900 to 3,200 for 5 home games so not much support.
They have got one ugly ass stadium, weird shaped and a dang track around it

#61255  by The Cats
 Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:42 pm
The Jackal wrote:
As best I can tell, UIW played only two games against teams with a winning record - SELA and 6-5 Prairie View A&M out of the SWAC.
I knew UIW had a 10-1 record but had never looked at the record of the teams they have played until I read this post. It's unbelievable they have only played two teams with a winning record. They ran roughshod over most teams they beat this year, but now, I like Furman's chances of getting their 2d playoff win. I thought the committee was screwing Furman matching them up with Elon (probably should have been GWU), now I think Furman should have had UIW's seed in the playoffs. SOS is no comparison between Furman & UIW, the SoCon took it on the chin from this selection committee (UTC & Mercer, both should have made the playoffs). Good Luck next Saturday, the entire SoCon is pulling for your team!!!!
apaladin, dornb, Victor Greene and 2 others liked this
 #61259  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:13 pm
The Cats wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:42 pm
The Jackal wrote:
I knew UIW had a 10-1 record but had never looked at the record of the teams they have played until I read this post. It's unbelievable they have only played two teams with a winning record. They ran roughshod over most teams they beat this year, but now, I like Furman's chances of getting their 2d playoff win. I thought the committee was screwing Furman matching them up with Elon (probably should have been GWU), now I think Furman should have had UIW's seed in the playoffs. SOS is no comparison between Furman & UIW, the SoCon took it on the chin from this selection committee (UTC & Mercer, both should have made the playoffs). Good Luck next Saturday, the entire SoCon is pulling for your team!!!!
The Southland's always a bit odd to evaluate.

UIW's definitely a very good team. I just always tend to side with teams that are more battle tested.

You can say it has been several months since UIW has played an objectively "good" opponent.
 #61261  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:30 pm
Since they have very little support my first thought is they are good because of transfers. I was correct, I counted 24 transfers
 #61265  by gman84
 Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:31 pm
I know very little about IWU except for the fact that they can score points. Their facilities may look less than stellar but they can play ball. I’ll pass judgement after we play them. It’s a business trip not a vacation.
Rokawaylifer, bj93, din23 liked this
 #61279  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:38 pm
Surely they will change the start time for the basketball game next Saturday.
FU69 liked this
 #61281  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:50 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:38 pm
Surely they will change the start time for the basketball game next Saturday.
Should change basketball game to 7pm

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.