• State of the football program

#45137  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:08 pm
Well the administration did a fine job this year getting some folks out to the games

Unfortunate that our offense is so bad and we continue to play around in the mud of below mediocre as a program going nowhere

Changes are going to need to be made if we are ever going to go anywhere
 #45152  by purplehorse
 Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:38 pm
I was at least proud of us for competing. Cut out the mistakes and we win. We did not compete against Mercer. I think we have gotten better but still have a long way to go especially on offense. When is the last time that we have had a huge punt or kickoff return?
 #45163  by Affirm
 Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:10 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Well the administration did a fine job this year getting some folks out to the games

Unfortunate that our offense is so bad and we continue to play around in the mud of below mediocre as a program going nowhere

If by "changes" you mean "firing the head coach", I wish to point out that we tried that in 2010 and in 2016 and it has not resulted in us "going anywhere". Also, our present head coach just got a contract extension did he not?
So, maybe you will let us know what you would to suggest as the changes that "are going to need to be made if we are ever going to go anywhere".
 #45164  by Affirm
 Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:11 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:

If by "changes" you mean "firing the head coach", I wish to point out that we tried that in 2010 and in 2016 and it has not resulted in us "going anywhere". Also, our present head coach just got a contract extension did he not?
So, maybe you will let us know what you would suggest as the changes that "are going to need to be made if we are ever going to go anywhere".
 #45167  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:31 pm
Changes need to be made at whomever is calling plays. Just can’t get over that 3rd and 6 call on the last drive. Another time we had third and seven in their territory and ran straight up the middle for one yard.
Last edited by apaladin on Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davemeister, Jasper, FU69 and 1 others liked this
 #45168  by Jasper
 Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:53 pm
Furman has a mediocre football team simply because we have a poor offense. That is a result of two things:
1. It is unimaginative, dated and predictable. Play calling is sophomoric. Clearly that is the fault of the OC. That is painfully obvious.
2. We do not have an adequate QB. We are forced to play a true Freshman who is making freshman mistakes because this staff has not developed a QB in 4 years. Who is at fault for that?
IMO we are more than adequate in the 2 most crucial parts of building a good football tram - the O line and the Defense. They are going to waste because of the faults in the offense.

Why can’t they be corrected? It’s simple. Get new and better personnel.
apaladin, Paladin575, FU69 and 1 others liked this
 #45169  by tim
 Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:09 pm
Say what you want about the Defense but giving up that many 3rd and longs is absurd. I'd much rather see them in a 3rd and 4 than a 3rd and 20. Its become a Furman trademark.
apaladin, FU69 liked this
 #45174  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:21 pm
Jasper wrote:
Furman has a mediocre football team simply because we have a poor offense. That is a result of two things:
1. It is unimaginative, dated and predictable. Play calling is sophomoric. Clearly that is the fault of the OC. That is painfully obvious.
2. We do not have an adequate QB. We are forced to play a true Freshman who is making freshman mistakes because this staff has not developed a QB in 4 years. Who is at fault for that?
IMO we are more than adequate in the 2 most crucial parts of building a good football tram - the O line and the Defense. They are going to waste because of the faults in the offense.

The QB thing should hopefully be better w JW as sophomore. HOWEVER there is still NO DEPTH. NADA. NO EXCUSE NOW. And I mean next year. year 5 or 6 of CCH. I agree with whomever said even if not the perfect QB always use one scholarship on a QB.

Because lack of a strong QB can negate a lot of other strengths. Just the introduction of a freshman JW has sparked us some. Simply put, QB is the most important position. Without a good one the receivers etc are wasted.

Here’s the killer to me. I wouldn’t be surprised if HS left after this season. I hope not but it wouldn’t surprise me. That leaves us JW and a new freshman. Well, how do you let JW run the ball a lot (which is key for his effectiveness) if you fear him getting hurt and only having a freshman behind him ???
 #45181  by Affirm
 Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:33 am
Jasper wrote:

Is that specifically better personnel at the coach level primarily, or at the player level primarily, or at both of those levels?
 #45182  by Affirm
 Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:49 am
Fred Garvin wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:27 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:10 pm
Basketball season truly begins today at Ole FU
Basketball sucks
Evidently, UFFP may be a place where it’s OK to denigrate basketball to one’s heart’s content. That should not be. Our basketball still has a way to go, but it seems our basketball is presently far ahead of football. And without being specific to Furman, I would say that American football is at least as “worthy of disparagement” as basketball is. I will allow consideration for the possibility that your comment about basketball was not sincere but instead was made in utter frustration about the long-term state of our football program.
Roundball, FU69 liked this
 #45183  by cavedweller2
 Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:45 am
Football this year reminds me a lot of ‘03. Strong D, offense struggling. We more than likely won’t have an Ingle Martin transfer in. I do think we would have been a SoCon championship team in ‘04 with Bo Moore at the helm. He would have been a senior. JW is just a Freshman. It’s college football. Just look 30 miles to the Northwest. Finish strong. We must endeavor to persevere.
 #45184  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:52 am
I go to a Braves game and, predictably, come back here to the sky falling again.

Look, ETSU is a good team. They were undefeated most of the year. Brent Thompson said it was the best team he's seen in the SoCon since the UTC teams of 2013-2014. So, let's start with at least a little acknowledgement that we weren't facing a high school squad yesterday. It was a tough hard fought football game.

We didn't win. It happens.

We are all disappointed in the state of the offense. The closest comp I can recall to this 2021 team is the 2003 team, which went 6-5 despite having one of the nation's best defenses. That team, too, had an unsettled QB situation. Of course, the next two seasons we were elite.

I like what I see out of Wilson. Is he making freshman mistakes? Yes. Did we expect him to do that? Yes. He played extremely well the vast majority of the game and I really think he's going to be a special player for us.

In terms of the state of the program:

1. Our QB is a true freshman. He's only going to get better.

2. Our offense is mostly young. There are only three seniors on the two deep. Not an excuse, but I think encouraging that we will return an experienced group next season.

3. Joshua Harris is a freshman, but looks like a special player at WR.

4. Our offensive line has played well and keeps improving. Only 1 senior of the OL two deep.

5. Our defensive line has been outstanding. I have been really impressed with what I've seen out of some of the younger players up front. We'll return a lot of players off the league's best defense next season.

6. Our special teams is in perfectly fine hands with Bleekrode.

At bottom, we aren't where we want to be, but we aren't far from that. We made some mistakes yesterday, and those mistakes came back to haunt us, as they often will against a good football team. I have no issue with the game plan as I think virtually everyone expected this to be a low scoring fight all afternoon.

I'm disappointed with the result yesterday, as I know everyone is, but I'm encouraged for the future.
FurmAlum, FUBeAR, FUpaladin08 and 1 others liked this
 #45189  by FU3
 Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:34 am
I think you are almost entirely correct in your review. The missing piece in my opinion is whether we are getting the most out of our talent. On D the answer is certainly yes, on O the answer is almost certainly no. This has been a trend for a while now and if we are going to break out of “ we are pretty close” mantra this needs to be addressed.
FU69 liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.