• 2021 SoCon vs. FBS

#43422  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:49 pm
Not surprising that the top 3 teams, ETSU, UTC and Mercer were the only ones that fared well ie: were competitive against their FBS opponents with WC@UNC and Sammy@Florida pending but likely both routs. All others were routs/embarrassing, not competitive.
Positives: Best to worst
ETSU 23 Vandy 3
Kentucky 28 UTC 23
Alabama 48 Mercer 14
Negatives: Worst to best
Oklahoma 76 WCU 0
Kent St. 60 VMI 10
NC St 45 Furman 7
Coastal 52 Citadel 14
Affirm liked this
 #43429  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:17 am
This drives me nuts.

You have now repeatedly posted the same sort of information to try and make the point (which no one seemed to bite on the first time) that Furman was "noncompetitive" but mighty Mercer was. As if different games in different states amongst different teams on different days somehow was relevant.

You posted Mercer's stats against Alabama on the other thread. I read through them a few times and don't see a ton of difference between what the Bears did against Alabama and Furman did against NC State. Both teams were overwhelmed against superior opponents.

Mercer was down 31-0 at half time. It was 45-7 to start the fourth quarter (that score should sound familiar). Yes, Mercer managed an extra garbage time touchdown. Is the difference in "competitive" and "noncompetitive" 1 touchdown in the 4th quarter of a blowout?

Mercer got thumped. They fought well, as Furman did, but a thumping occurred. The difference in yardage between the teams appears to really come down to one play - Mercer was able to get a WR loose for a long touchdown. Furman was just never able to break a play against NCSU.

All that said, none of it matters Saturday.
 #43437  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:24 am
The Jackal wrote:
This drives me nuts.

You have now repeatedly posted the same sort of information to try and make the point (which no one seemed to bite on the first time) that Furman was "noncompetitive" but mighty Mercer was. As if different games in different states amongst different teams on different days somehow was relevant.

You posted Mercer's stats against Alabama on the other thread. I read through them a few times and don't see a ton of difference between what the Bears did against Alabama and Furman did against NC State. Both teams were overwhelmed against superior opponents.

Mercer was down 31-0 at half time. It was 45-7 to start the fourth quarter (that score should sound familiar). Yes, Mercer managed an extra garbage time touchdown. Is the difference in "competitive" and "noncompetitive" 1 touchdown in the 4th quarter of a blowout?

Mercer got thumped. They fought well, as Furman did, but a thumping occurred. The difference in yardage between the teams appears to really come down to one play - Mercer was able to get a WR loose for a long touchdown. Furman was just never able to break a play against NCSU.

Let FUBeAR bring peace to the UFFP…

How ‘bout this as an alternative…edited w/FUBeAR’s opinions…

SoCon vs FBS YTD Ranked most to least impressive…

1) #37 Kentucky 28 UTC 23
2) UNR (>44) Vandy 3 ETSU 23
3) #1 Alabama 48 Mercer 14
4) UNR (>44) NC St 45 Furman 7

5) #17 Coastal 52 Citadel 14
6) #4 Oklahoma 76 WCU 0
7) UNR (>44) Kent St. 60 VMI 10

Am FUBeAR Hank Kissinger?

(BTW - I’ve watched almost every play of all 7 of these games…not just read the scores/stats/rankings. So, if you care to disagree with my ranking, show your work.)
 #43438  by Furmanoid
 Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:28 am
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
This drives me nuts.

6) #4 Oklahoma 76 WCU 0

(BTW - I’ve watched almost every play of all 7 of these games…not just read the scores/stats/rankings. So, if you care to disagree with my ranking, show your work.)
Can’t show my work because I did not watch all these games. But how does losing by 38 to an unranked team rate higher than losing by 38 to a #17 team? I assume it’s because we should always rank ourselves above the Citadel in everything regardless.
 #43439  by DeepPurple
 Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:43 am
Did not see much competitiveness with Mercer. I don't know how serious Alabama even took the game. NC State took the game serious, I think they had heard enough of their losing record to Furman. The stadium was full and they were and are a lot better. UTC and ETSU, yes throw them a bone. Mercer does not get one.
Davemeister liked this
 #43442  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:08 am
Furmanoid wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
This drives me nuts.

6) #4 Oklahoma 76 WCU 0

Can’t show my work because I did not watch all these games. But how does losing by 38 to an unranked team rate higher than losing by 38 to a #17 team? I assume it’s because we should always rank ourselves above the Citadel in everything regardless.
You final sentence is true….But to address your question. CCU ran circles around the bellhop D from kickoff to final whistle. To be honest, so did NGU’s O last week…except in the red zone. CIT has been dreadful on D and only impressed on O vs. NGU. NCSU moved the ball on FU purposefully and they did a good job of stopping FU’s O, but FU never looked like a middle school Team playing a college Team as CIT did against the beach cheekins. The Paladins missed a few more tackles than they should have & maybe coulda/shoulda found a way to dial up a bit more pressure, but they were not the proverbial tin horn, by any means. We were also not ‘sloppy’ on O (in most cases)…just not hittin’ on all 11 cylinders often enough.
DeepPurple liked this
 #43443  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:22 am
DeepPurple wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:43 am
Did not see much competitiveness with Mercer. I don't know how serious Alabama even took the game. NC State took the game serious, I think they had heard enough of their losing record to Furman. The stadium was full and they were and are a lot better. UTC and ETSU, yes throw them a bone. Mercer does not get one.
C’mon DP…you know you ain’t watched the Mercer @ Bama game. If you did and you came away with that conclusion, you were borrowing Jackal’s glasses when you watched it.

Don’t have a FR Personal Protector think he’s suddenly playing a game of Freeze Tag, and you don’t have a Punt Block TD

Don’t have a FR QB forget he’s playing an SEC Team w/6-5 vs. 6-2 SoCon OLB’s and you don’t have a tipped INT for a very short field TD

Don’t have phantom block-in-back called on PR; don’t get pinned very deep; ultimately yielding another very short field TD

Don’t have phantom DPI called on long ball in EZ; don’t have another highly-shortened field TD

I could go on…

95K attendance…1st full capacity game in Tuscaloosa in 658 days…you think those Bama idiots weren’t ROLL TIDING & RAMMER JAMMER YELLOW HAMMERIN’ the whole game?

C’mon man!
Last edited by FUBeAR on Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
apaladin liked this
 #43445  by Furmanoid
 Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:36 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:08 am
Furmanoid wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
This drives me nuts.

6) #4 Oklahoma 76 WCU 0

You final sentence is true….But to address your question. CCU ran circles around the bellhop D from kickoff to final whistle. To be honest, so did NGU’s O last week…except in the red zone. CIT has been dreadful on D and only impressed on O vs. NGU. NCSU moved the ball on FU purposefully and they did a good job of stopping FU’s O, but FU never looked like a middle school Team playing a college Team as CIT did against the beach cheekins. The Paladins missed a few more tackles than they should have & maybe coulda/shoulda found a way to dial up a bit more pressure, but they were not the proverbial tin horn, by any means. We were also not ‘sloppy’ on O (in most cases)…just not hittin’ on all 11 cylinders often enough.
I think part the problem with getting this right is that it is so hard to wrap our brains around the idea that Coastal is a lot better than NC State. But I kinda think they really are. Regardless it is right and salutary that we should at all times and in all places evaluate ourselves ahead of Citadel.
 #43446  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:00 am
My comments are not anti-Mercer. I'm just raising the point that when you watch what happened in the game, I don't think you can come away with the opinion that Furman was some how non-competitive and Mercer was competitive.

Both teams busted their butts out there. They worked hard. Mercer had a few more things break their way, but I don't think clearly outplayed Furman's effort against NCSU. Both teams were overmatched against a really good opponent.
 #43448  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:05 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:00 am
My comments are not anti-Mercer. I'm just raising the point that when you watch what happened in the game, I don't think you can come away with the opinion that Furman was some how non-competitive and Mercer was competitive.

Both teams busted their butts out there. They worked hard. Mercer had a few more things break their way, but I don't think clearly outplayed Furman's effort against NCSU. Both teams were overmatched against a really good opponent.
yep - agree…the question then could become, if one wants to ask…How close is UNR (>44) NCSU to #1 Alabama? With a secondary question being…Does that even matter? FUBeAR’s answer to question #2 is…probably not, not really.
 #43455  by apaladin
 Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:24 am
Coastal is very good but still over-rated. They beat Buffalo by a FG Saturday. NC State would beat them, IMHO. Unfortunately their 3 ooc games are all cupcakes. I do think they will lose at App. St.
Last edited by apaladin on Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
din23 liked this
 #43457  by apaladin
 Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:33 am
I just don’t see how anyone can say FU was competitive against NC State. We gave up almost 400 yds in the first half and had ONE first down and 37 yds in the first half. NC St. scored on 6 of 7 first half possessions. How is that being competitive? How many times has Furman given up 38 points in the first in the last 50 years? Once(Auburn ‘09). Thank goodness NC State called off the dogs and didn’t score the last 25 minutes of the game. They could have scored 70 if they wanted to.
 #43458  by gman84
 Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:49 am
I know this was a looooong time ago, but I remember a FU team that was shut out in our game with Clemson. I think it was the 89 team, one of the best ever FU teams. The score was 31-0 and we had something like a total of 130 yards on offense. Did not mean a dang thing as far as the rest of the season.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.