• 2021-22 SEASON

#41335  by apaladin
 Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:53 pm
With the schedule shaping up to be possibly the best/toughest schedule we’ve seen in a long time the big question is will we have a team that can handle it? We lost the 2 best players from last year, both capable of taking over a game. We do have 2 fulltime starters back but both are guards(Bothwell and Hunter). Assuming Jalen Slawson moves into a fulltime starter that leaves two huge voids to fill. Who becomes the 4th and 5th starters to fill the shoes vacated by Mounce and Gurley? Someone from last years team or possibly a newcomer?Just throwing it out there for discussion.
 #41336  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:00 am
apaladin wrote:
With the schedule shaping up to be possibly the best/toughest schedule we’ve seen in a long time the big question is will we have a team that can handle it? We lost the 2 best players from last year, both capable of taking over a game. We do have 2 fulltime starters back but both are guards(Bothwell and Hunter). Assuming Jalen Slawson moves into a fulltime starter that leaves two huge voids to fill. Who becomes the 4th and 5th starters to fill the shoes vacated by Mounce and Gurley? Someone from last years team or possibly a newcomer?Just throwing it out there for discussion.
I’m sure the DII transfer guy is supposed to be out there somewhere. And maybe Hien? We may be smallish but the offense takes that into account. The hope is that the DII guy or one of the freshman truly is the lights out shooter we’ve been looking for. Actually 2 or 3 of those would be nice.

On a slightly unrelated note, I hope this isn’t a sign of things to come, but the Nike Elite Peach Jam here in NA has just banned the general public I guess because of fears of the dreaded variants. I was hoping to talk to whatever coach FU sends down and pick his brain a little. I don’t know if we ever get Peach Jam level guys, but we always have at least one coach scouting them. Anyway that’s out the window unless I run into them at Circle K or something.

Anybody who wants a vaccination either has one or can easily get one, but we still can’t get sports back to normal so I’m starting to doubt they will ever get back to normal. I mean, what more can be done?
 #41337  by Roundball
 Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:16 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:00 am
apaladin wrote:
I’m sure the DII transfer guy is supposed to be out there somewhere. And maybe Hien? We may be smallish but the offense takes that into account. The hope is that the DII guy or one of the freshman truly is the lights out shooter we’ve been looking for. Actually 2 or 3 of those would be nice.

On a slightly unrelated note, I hope this isn’t a sign of things to come, but the Nike Elite Peach Jam here in NA has just banned the general public I guess because of fears of the dreaded variants. I was hoping to talk to whatever coach FU sends down and pick his brain a little. I don’t know if we ever get Peach Jam level guys, but we always have at least one coach scouting them. Anyway that’s out the window unless I run into them at Circle K or something.

Anybody who wants a vaccination either has one or can easily get one, but we still can’t get sports back to normal so I’m starting to doubt they will ever get back to normal. I mean, what more can be done?
My understanding is that college coaches will be allowed to attend the games.
 #41338  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:34 am
Yes. Otherwise they would cancel the event. But normally it’s really cool because it’s all general admission for coaches and the public so you can literally rub elbows with guys from every major and most mid majors.

I think you would love it. So maybe next year come down and we’ll check it out.
 #41340  by apaladin
 Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:15 pm
To say we are guard heavy is an understatement. 10 of the 16 players on the roster are listed as guards.
 #41341  by apaladin
 Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:22 pm
Furmanoid, did they give a reason why the general public was banned. Hard to believe it is Covid. Every venue in the countryis at ful capacity now. I agree with you that peeps should be vaccinated by now so its all on them if they refuse the vaccine. They should at least let vaccinated peeps in.
 #41343  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:49 pm
Pretty sure it’s Covid. Probably Nike’s call. They are pretty woke. I will say that it’s usually standing room only for the night sessions which may not have been a great idea, but all they had to do was cut back the capacity some. And it seems like elderly, for some reason unvaccinated coaches could have just sent young assistants, but oh well. I’m just a little concerned that everybody’s gonna start freaking out over the variants (sure seems like the media wants that for obvious reasons) and then what? If vaccinations aren’t enough, what do you do to get people to relax?

The Olympics are already unraveling.
 #41345  by apaladin
 Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:05 pm
Yes the media is all over the delta variant. The UK has reported the most severe cases there have been a headache and runny nose. They will find a rise in cases somewhere in the US and report the percentage of increase but will not give actual numbers but reporting a high percentage sounds more sensational. ie: cases are up 70 percent in so and so. 70 percent since when and from where to where???? :shock:
 #41919  by apaladin
 Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:28 pm
Hard to believe it’s less than 90 days to the start of the season. Wonder how much longer before we see the schedule%?
 #42596  by apaladin
 Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:21 pm
Yep they are a little late been knowng about all of those for a while. 😂
 #42640  by apaladin
 Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:08 pm
I think the next tweet will be surprise “here are 2 games you didn’t already know about”. 😂😂😂
Affirm liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.