• The Real Issue...

#38961  by Sad Din
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:45 am
SD knows nothing about the FB profession. SD had no inside info. SD is just a fan.

From that novice point of view, for SD the disappointment is not so much players, recruiting, play calling (although its up there) and other things about the program.

The Real Issue is the lack of discipline and basic football fundamentals and not just this game but all games in 2021. Case in point..

Missed extra points (1 block up the middle which coach said was inexcusable)
Snapping penalty's (2 in one game)
Penalty's at critical times (push off in end zone)
Botched plays (which caused fumble while driving for FG)
Right players not on field (coach said that for 2pt conversion the right players were not on field)
Late play calling (coach said that in VMI game last play was out of sync due to late play call)
Missed assignments (per last coach's recap)

And most of these are on the offensive side of ball.

The one thing Dins always had whether winning or losing under most coaches was disciplined play.

What say you?
Last edited by Sad Din on Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #38963  by Paladin91
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:14 am
Sad Din wrote:
SD knows nothing about the FB profession. SD had no inside info. SD is just a fan.

From that novice point of view, for SD the disappointment is not so much players, recruiting, play calling (although its up there) and other things about the program.

The Real Issue is the lack of discipline and basic football fundamentals and not just this game but all games in 2021. Case in point..

Right players not on field (coach said that for 2pt conversion the right players were not on field)
Late play calling (coach said that in VMI game last play was out of sync due to late play call)

The one thing Dins always had whether winning or losing under most coaches was disciplined play.

What say you?
Agreed, but not only that, whenever we make a big play or defensive stop, too much showboating by players. I remember seeing a lot of this same type of crap with GA back when they were under Richt. Play the f'in game and celebrate when it's over. The team lacks discipline.
 #38967  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:37 am
Certainly a contributing factor, which all comes back to coaching. Still the fact is regardless of the play calling the OL is #1 problem. Schemes are a big problem. Teams load the box because our passing game is suspect and we have no deep threats. The OL is outnumbered and until we develop a passing game it won’t get better. Teamd know we are going to run 9 outof 10 times on first down.
QCGlue liked this
 #38969  by fu77fan
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:57 am
On the post game show, coach said that on offense , we were a master of nothing. I agree!!
While we use multiple formations, with lots of motion in the backfield, we are masters of nothing. We have not mastered some of the simplest things that you must have in order to win .
- Kicking an extra point
- Being able to gain a simple yard, or a simple inch .
- Being able to complete a short pass in order to keep a drive alive
- Being able to gain positive yardage on 1st down.
- Being able to convert on 3rd down.

We look like an offense with no direction, an offense with no leader, an offense with no confidence. I think we had only 2-3 yards of offense yesterday at the end of the first quarter. We look totally lost. And this is 5 games into the season . We have shown no improvement. The real issue is that while we may have talent, our offense is pathetic.
bj93 liked this
 #38970  by AlValonge
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:07 pm
We do have a host of "challenges" (I won't call them problems or crises to avoid alarm) that we need to get corrected. We can fine-tune some of the other things later on, but we have got to get our offensive line straightened out. This will cure a lot of our issues on offense... We can't get 0 yards on first down, be behind the chains, and then expect a miracle on third down with NO blocking. Our passing game and running game complement each other and we will see major dividends when we figure out how to get back to solid offensive line play. Our defense is good enough to keep us in games and our offense needs to pick it up. Granted, Sisson is not Tom Brady, but I do think he has enough ability to get the job done IF he has time to throw the ball.
FUKA61, fu77fan, QCGlue liked this
 #38973  by Furmanoid
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:20 pm
Hard to believe these guys all forget how to coach when they get to Furman. So I’m inclined to think there is a talent problem. We have got to ditch our age old recruiting habits and get a different kind of guy. I hope this Texas connection works out.
 #38974  by Sad Din
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:44 pm
AlValonge wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:07 pm
We do have a host of "challenges" (I won't call them problems or crises to avoid alarm) that we need to get corrected. We can fine-tune some of the other things later on, but we have got to get our offensive line straightened out. This will cure a lot of our issues on offense... We can't get 0 yards on first down, be behind the chains, and then expect a miracle on third down with NO blocking. Our passing game and running game complement each other and we will see major dividends when we figure out how to get back to solid offensive line play. Our defense is good enough to keep us in games and our offense needs to pick it up. Granted, Sisson is not Tom Brady, but I do think he has enough ability to get the job done IF he has time to throw the ball.
Great idea... but who do we have that knows anything about the O line? :shock:
 #38975  by Furmanoid
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:00 pm
It looks like our coaches don’t know anything about OL coaching. But we know that isn’t true. These players are getting coached. So maybe they just have slow feet or something that can’t be fixed.
 #38976  by Sad Din
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:08 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:00 pm
It looks like our coaches don’t know anything about OL coaching. But we know that isn’t true. These players are getting coached. So maybe they just have slow feet or something that can’t be fixed.
wait for it...
 #38980  by The Jackal
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:53 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:20 pm
Hard to believe these guys all forget how to coach when they get to Furman. So I’m inclined to think there is a talent problem. We have got to ditch our age old recruiting habits and get a different kind of guy. I hope this Texas connection works out.
I just generally disagree with all of this.

The players are talented. We've had issues in QB recruiting going back to the Fowler staff's miss for several years. We are feeling that now.

The coaches are fine. I never understand the argument about "hey, remember when Furman used to play disciplined football" and ignore that the primary coaches on offense are all former Furman guys from those years of disciplined football.

This has been my opinion, and Hendrix confirmed it, is that we are trying to do too much offensively and not doing any of it well. We have no identity.

Bottom line, we are getting too cute out there. Too many personnel groups, too much motion, too many assignments, too much English. Football is the ultimate team game, and if one player is confused on his assignment then the play isn't going to work.

I want to see us build back ground up. Cut out all the play action and rope a dope. Line up and hit someone. Once we prove we can do that, add a little more in.
 #38994  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:01 pm
I think we need to cutback on all the subbing. Do we really need to sub multiple players every down?
 #38995  by The Jackal
 Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:40 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:01 pm
I think we need to cutback on all the subbing. Do we really need to sub multiple players every down?
I mean, it's a philosophy that really seems to have no ill effects on our defense.

Also, I think there is some rationale that fewer snaps reduces risk of injury. Remember, a lot of these guys will turn around and play in the fall.
MNORM liked this
 #39013  by curiousfan
 Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:39 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Sad Din wrote:

What say you?
Agreed, but not only that, whenever we make a big play or defensive stop, too much showboating by players. I remember seeing a lot of this same type of crap with GA back when they were under Richt. Play the f'in game and celebrate when it's over. The team lacks discipline.
This is "throwing crap on the wall" hoping that it sticks. The defense needs to continue to play with the energy and passion that is being displayed (there have been NO UNSPORTSMANLIKE penalties, targeting or many penalties on defense that have hurt this team)...What is the problem with these players celebrating in an exciting manner that doesn't hurt the team....often times they been placed in challenging situations with 3 and outs, untimely turnovers, and a stagnant offense...The problem IS NOT the lack of discipline...it is a lack of offensive EXECUTION, getting playmakers and getting more speed to attack the perimeter. The QB play isn't bad, it's just not great and we need MORE from that particular position.
 #39034  by Sad Din
 Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:14 pm
curiousfan wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:39 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Sad Din wrote:

What say you?
This is "throwing crap on the wall" hoping that it sticks. The defense needs to continue to play with the energy and passion that is being displayed (there have been NO UNSPORTSMANLIKE penalties, targeting or many penalties on defense that have hurt this team)...What is the problem with these players celebrating in an exciting manner that doesn't hurt the team....often times they been placed in challenging situations with 3 and outs, untimely turnovers, and a stagnant offense...The problem IS NOT the lack of discipline...it is a lack of offensive EXECUTION, getting playmakers and getting more speed to attack the perimeter. The QB play isn't bad, it's just not great and we need MORE from that particular position.
Just to clear up SD comments... didnt mean to say that the young men lack discipline. SD meant to say that the play seems undisciplined which SD guesses its another way to say that its lack of offensive execution.