• Furman @ Alabama Dec. 15 (SEC Network)

#34153  by Affirm
 Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:27 pm
Alabama game is our final opportunity to do anything worth bragging about this year, unless we win “every remaining regular season game + SoCon Tournament + at least 1 NCAA Tournament game”, or unless we instead get to NIT quarterfinals somehow. Better beat Alabama.
FU69 liked this
 #34154  by CharlieFU
 Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:04 pm
affirm wrote:
Alabama game is our final opportunity to do anything worth bragging about this year, unless we win “every remaining regular season game + SoCon Tournament + at least 1 NCAA Tournament game”, or unless we instead get to NIT quarterfinals somehow. Better beat Alabama.
The Final Opportunity? Good grief! I don’t think so.
FurmAlum, FU69 liked this
 #34156  by Affirm
 Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:44 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
affirm wrote:
I mean, yeah, we can brag to each other and feel good; but really, what is going to make any kind of splash nationally if we don’t beat Alabama and also don’t do ALL those other things I listed? Not many people are going to be impressed positively if the only place we do well is against the SoCon & Winthrop & SC State.
What do YOU say there will be worth bragging about if we do not do something beyond just beating those teams?
Don’t just say “good grief”.
Alabama IS the final opportunity for this year unless we do those other things I said.
I do, of course, realize we still could win the SoCon Tournament and win 1 or 2 NCAA games, even if we do not win all the remaining regular season games. Maybe.
FU69 liked this
 #34160  by FurmAlum
 Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:00 pm
affirm wrote:
CharlieFU wrote:
affirm wrote:
I mean, yeah, we can brag to each other and feel good; but really, what is going to make any kind of splash nationally if we don’t beat Alabama and also don’t do ALL those other things I listed? Not many people are going to be impressed positively if the only place we do well is against the SoCon & Winthrop & SC State.
What do YOU say there will be worth bragging about if we do not do something beyond just beating those teams?
Alabama IS the final opportunity for this year unless we do those other things I said.
I do, of course, realize we still could win the SoCon Tournament and win 1 or 2 NCAA games, even if we do not win all the remaining regular season games. Maybe.
Affirm, You're way off base here. I agree with CharlieFU. A loss to Alabama is not the end of the world. It is no doubt a great opportunity for a statement win, but beating a good SEC team on the road is a tough order.

If we can win the SoCon tournament it will be a moot point. And I would say if we do and make it to the NCAA Tourney for the first time in 40 years we deserve to brag some!
 #34164  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:32 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
affirm wrote:
CharlieFU wrote:
affirm wrote:
Affirm, You're way off base here. I agree with CharlieFU. A loss to Alabama is not the end of the world. It is no doubt a great opportunity for a statement win, but beating a good SEC team on the road is a tough order.

If we can win the SoCon tournament it will be a moot point. And I would say if we do and make it to the NCAA Tourney for the first time in 40 years we deserve to brag some!
To tell you the truth I do think the chances of winning the tourney is small as I have been convinced for 40 years it’s just not in the cards. I do however think we have a chance to win the regular season and I would be happy with that. I don’t want to be greedy. 😁 I think our chances were up as it appears UNCG and ETSU could be down but now it looks like all of a sudden Sammy and Mercer are vastly improved. It’s always something. You can never count out WC as they have proven they know how to win in the tournament.
FU69 liked this
 #34167  by Furmanoid
 Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:31 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:32 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
affirm wrote:
CharlieFU wrote:
affirm wrote:

To tell you the truth I do think the chances of winning the tourney is small as I have been convinced for 40 years it’s just not in the cards. I do however think we have a chance to win the regular season and I would be happy with that. I don’t want to be greedy. 😁 I think our chances were up as it appears UNCG and ETSU could be down but now it looks like all of a sudden Sammy and Mercer are vastly improved. It’s always something. You can never count out WC as they have proven they know how to win in the tournament.
We should win the regular season although we may drop a couple of winnable games. But that tournament almost seems like a long shot because we need to shoot well three games in a row under pressure. It seems like we can’t shoot well two games in a row.

This Bama game will give us a chance to see if we really are good. We know we are a top 10 DII team having drubbed several middling DII’s, and we beat a lower middle CAA team really bad, but that’s it so far. We’ll certainly end up with another awesome record no matter what.