11/10 VMI 1:30 PM
FUBeAR liked this
 #2011  by Flagman
 Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:59 pm
Not wild about the late start @ Elon.
QCGlue liked this
 #2015  by apaladin
 Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:06 pm
At least it might be a little cooler than the first game at CU. Still be home by 1AM.
 #2017  by The Jackal
 Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:46 am
apaladin wrote:
At least it might be a little cooler than the first game at CU. Still be home by 1AM.

I don't think so. At 6pm it is very much still sunny and hot. More than that, the "lead up" to the game is the late afternoon summer, which is often the hottest part of the day. So, everyone will be arriving and tailgating at 3-4:00, which can be brutally hot. Also more likely for a late afternoon thunderstorm that time of year.

If Furman never had another 6:00 kickoff ever, I'd be more than happy with that.
Flagman, Affirm, QCGlue liked this
 #2020  by Flagman
 Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:55 am
apaladin wrote:
But you don't work on Sunday morning.
 #2031  by The Jackal
 Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:08 pm
Flagman wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:55 am
apaladin wrote:
But you don't work on Sunday morning.

The good news is that Furman is going to keep the clock moving on the ground and in the passing game.

Hottest I've have ever been in my life was a 98-degree day at Auburn against Southern Miss when neither team's offense could hold onto the ball and couldn't help stopping the clock every 17 seconds.
 #2039  by palafan
 Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:25 pm
I like the later starts, especially the early games when it is so hot. The 1pm starts cut into some good tailgating time.
 #2045  by The Jackal
 Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:47 am
palafan wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:25 pm
I like the later starts, especially the early games when it is so hot. The 1pm starts cut into some good tailgating time.
My point is that the 6:00 kick times are probably hotter early in the season.

You end up tailgating during the hottest part of the day. The sun won't set until probably half time. I'd vastly prefer a shorter tailgating time, but doing so during the cooler parts of the late morning.

Besides, some of these visiting stadiums don't have a shade tree to be seen. At Furman, you can escape the sun just about anywhere on campus. At other schools, there isn't a shady spot within 200 yards of the stadium.
Affirm, dornb, FU69 liked this
 #2048  by cavedweller2
 Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:36 pm
7:00 Sept
3:30 Oct
3:30 Nov
7:00 December
 #2067  by soconjohn
 Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:59 am
I kinda like the early night game kickoffs Furman has scheduled in the past...looking forward to going back to Elon...hopefully another great Furman crowd will show up...sat beside Logan McCarter’s parents...great people and it was great to see Furman get such a thrilling road win in the FCS playoffs...felt good to say and feel that again...Also, if you have looked at most preseason publications that cover FCS football, you’ll see Elon in the 10-15 range in nearly all of them...Davis Cheek, Elon’s QB, is a Furman de-commitment, so any time you get a chance to show someone they made the wrong decision for their playing career, I am all for.
FU69 liked this
 #2068  by The Jackal
 Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:39 am
soconjohn wrote:
I kinda like the early night game kickoffs Furman has scheduled in the past...looking forward to going back to Elon...hopefully another great Furman crowd will show up...sat beside Logan McCarter’s parents...great people and it was great to see Furman get such a thrilling road win in the FCS playoffs...felt good to say and feel that again...Also, if you have looked at most preseason publications that cover FCS football, you’ll see Elon in the 10-15 range in nearly all of them...Davis Cheek, Elon’s QB, is a Furman de-commitment, so any time you get a chance to show someone they made the wrong decision for their playing career, I am all for.
I don't think Cheek was a Furman commit (maybe he was), but his current backup, Jalen Greene was. Greene decommitted from Furman a few weeks before signing day which, I think, opened the door for JeMar Lincoln. What will be interesting to see is whether Lincoln is starting that game while Greene watches from the sideline.

Regarding the crowd, Furman had 3 road games to end last season (Samford, Elon, Wofford), and I'm pretty sure the visiting crowd was comparable to the home crowd. It was great to see Furman fans show up en masse to these visiting venues. Also nice that those three games sort of "involved" three different groups of Furman alums (Birmingham, GSP, and central NC)
 #2069  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:08 pm
The Jackal wrote:
soconjohn wrote:
I don't think Cheek was a Furman commit (maybe he was), but his current backup, Jalen Greene was. Greene decommitted from Furman a few weeks before signing day which, I think, opened the door for JeMar Lincoln. What will be interesting to see is whether Lincoln is starting that game while Greene watches from the sideline.

Regarding the crowd, Furman had 3 road games to end last season (Samford, Elon, Wofford), and I'm pretty sure the visiting crowd was comparable to the home crowd. It was great to see Furman fans show up en masse to these visiting venues. Also nice that those three games sort of "involved" three different groups of Furman alums (Birmingham, GSP, and central NC)
I’d take Lincoln over Greene, sight unseen, just to get some Mel Blount DNA on my Team!

Hope he becomes a HUGE STAR for the Paladins. From the wee bit of video I’ve seen & what I’m hearing, that potential certainly exists.
soconjohn liked this
 #2071  by The Jackal
 Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:09 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:08 pm
The Jackal wrote:
soconjohn wrote:

I’d take Lincoln over Greene, sight unseen, just to get some Mel Blount DNA on my Team!

Hope he becomes a HUGE STAR for the Paladins. From the wee bit of video I’ve seen & what I’m hearing, that potential certainly exists.

Lincoln played ball for a big program down in South Georgia. I'm anxious to see what he does at this level.

Furman has hit the recruiting trail hard in the southeast Georgia sector, which stretches south of I-20 and east of I-75. They grow em big and fast down in that part of the state.