• UNCG/Winthrop Postponed

#33416  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:18 am
Add this to the growing list over reacting postponements. There is zero major risks to 20 year olds.
 #33419  by CharlieFU
 Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:38 am
First, that article does not answer any of the questions about specifically why it was postponed.

Second, it’s not just the players! Coaches. Staff. Athletic Dept personnel.

Third, the risk is NOT zero. I don’t know what it is, zero it is not.

Unfair to criticize the decision without knowing more.
Roundball, PaladinPower, hypercycloid and 6 others liked this
 #33424  by Roundball
 Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:19 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:50 am
Shame on apaladin. Only 99.994% in that age group will survive. That is a very real risk.
What percentage in that age group get seriously ill? What percentage in that age group can pass it on to someone else? It's not just about the percentage that die. Don't you some of you get that by now?
 #33425  by Furmanoid
 Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:30 am
Crazy thing is, the hospitalization number is slightly better.

Couldn’t we just ask elderly and infirm people not to sneak into the games and get all up in the players’ faces? We just sent millions of college students back to their families, and we’re worried about this?
 #33426  by Roundball
 Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:57 am
Furmanoid wrote:

Couldn’t we just ask elderly and infirm people not to sneak into the games and get all up in the players’ faces? We just sent millions of college students back to their families, and we’re worried about this?
I attended the game this past Saturday and was impressed with the protocols. Temperature checked, ticket on the phone, social distancing, mask required, no one allowed near the court and handrails wiped down after every timeout. Players are protected from the fans. I do find it odd that the players are being social distanced at the bench area, but are in the faces of each other while playing on the court.
 #33427  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:11 am
If it is not zero serious risk to 20 year old athletes then what is it? Of all the “positive” tests leading to postponement and cancellations have you heard of one athlete being seriously ill? I understand the possibility of passing it to someone not a player but that is remote. If a player tests positive isolate them and carry on. People are not following protocol and making their own decisions which is scary(ie FSU). Kudos to the NFL for carrying on thru multiple positives. Denver played yesterday without a QB. I too do not understand the sideline distancing in CBB. Pure silliness.
 #33428  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:15 am
Roundball wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:19 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:50 am
Shame on apaladin. Only 99.994% in that age group will survive. That is a very real risk.
What percentage in that age group get seriously ill? What percentage in that age group can pass it on to someone else? It's not just about the percentage that die. Don't you some of you get that by now?
Have not heard of any athlete getting seriously ill. Passing it on percentage is unknown but surely minute. I am sure they stay away from vulnerable people.
 #33429  by Furmanoid
 Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:31 am
Roundball wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:57 am
Furmanoid wrote:

I attended the game this past Saturday and was impressed with the protocols. Temperature checked, ticket on the phone, social distancing, mask required, no one allowed near the court and handrails wiped down after every timeout. Players are protected from the fans. I do find it odd that the players are being social distanced at the bench area, but are in the faces of each other while playing on the court.
If one guy gets positive he would take out 4 others guys in a normal bench setting based on the the 15 minutes within 6 ft rule. Maybe that’s what they are thinking. I guess they don’t do contact tracing for the competition itself and just rely on tests.

In schools if a kid is positive we kick out everybody who sat around him which comes out to about 30 kids after 7 periods. It’s that tracing that shuts things down. There is no possible way to justify any of this, but everybody just accepts it now. Otherwise the young teachers freak out (which is weird because college students just a few years younger than them are living as normal they can get away with). I am watching us do pretty much an entire year of bogus school. Is education important or not? I guess not. Historians are going to scratch their heads.
 #33432  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:31 pm
It s like a runaway train now. Teams are ignoring conference protocol and making their own decisions. Seems like FSU has opened a can of worms. Vandy just shutdown their programs because of one positive, ignoring SEC guidelines. Cancelled their games in the Legends Classic. Feel sorry for players and coaches because they have to pay for ill-advised decisions that are now being made by everyone that can make one.
 #33434  by Roundball
 Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:57 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:31 pm
It s like a runaway train now. Teams are ignoring conference protocol and making their own decisions. Seems like FSU has opened a can of worms. Vandy just shutdown their programs because of one positive, ignoring SEC guidelines. Cancelled their games in the Legends Classic. Feel sorry for players and coaches because they have to pay for ill-advised decisions that are now being made by everyone that can make one.
Vandy says they are following SEC guidelines.
Statement from Vanderbilt Athletics:
"Due to a positive COVID-19 test within the program, Vanderbilt announced Monday it has temporarily paused all men’s basketball activities.
The action is consistent with Southeastern Conference COVID-19 management requirements developed by the SEC’s Return to Activity and Medical Guidance Task Force, as well as guidance from local and University health officials.
Vanderbilt will not participate in this week’s Legends Classic in Uncasville, Connecticut."
 #33439  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:59 pm
You must work for the media, lol. There’s always a worse case scenario and this is horrible. Sounds like an inaccurate test result(imagine that)and mis-diagnosis was the cause. Not an athlete either.