• Traditions

#30089  by NEPA
 Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:54 pm
Having never attended a Furman football game ( hoping this season ) I was wondering if paladin nation had any traditions? One of the most bizarre I witnessed was at the end of the third quarter at Franklin Field, the Penn fans would sing "Drink a Highball", the last line was "Here's a toast to dear old Penn" the fans would then fling toasted sliced bread onto the sidelines. My all time favorite was the Steelers playing the song Renegade late in the game during a tv commercial timeout when they needed a big defensive stop. Would love to hear some of yours that you have seen. Thanks
 #30090  by fupaladin01
 Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:15 pm
Well it used to be tradition for the President of the University to come down to the student section at some point and lead the cheer F-U-One time! (crowd echo) F-U Two times!(echo) F-U Three times! (echo)F-U-All the time! (echo)
I feel certain ED (current President) looks on things like that with disdain. Last season or two some fans (posters on here I think) would often get the cheer started from the crowd.

There was a time we shook our keys during kickoffs and shouted F-U!!! when the ball was booted into the air... but it lost its luster sometime after visiting Georgia Southern fans unfurled a big sign from across the field that said Shake Your Keys! .... If you're gay.

I know the team does a "Champions walk" before the game and cheerleaders and fans line up to cheer them on their way into or out of the football complex... I'm usually still tailgating and therefore miss it.

I know there used to be some more things years ago, I know the "Death Dealer" was a presence at some games but I don't recall what he did exactly. (We had a wizard mascot for a few years that didn't do jack squat) IMO we badly need some fun traditions to make our game day experience more enjoyable. Students typically create those but I'm still trying to locate our students at the games...
 #30092  by paladinfan12
 Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:20 pm
I haven't gotten to go to a game in a while, but the keys traditions was always my favorite. Bummed to hear it has lost its luster.
 #30093  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:35 pm
Winning
FUKA61, Chuckles, furman88 liked this
 #30115  by Flagman
 Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:50 pm
Flagman!
FUBeAR liked this
 #30626  by MNORM
 Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:33 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:20 pm
I haven't gotten to go to a game in a while, but the keys traditions was always my favorite. Bummed to hear it has lost its luster.
I and two others in my group of season ticket holders still proudly shake our keys and scream FU every time we kick off...confident that we will revive said tradition.

...eventually
paladinfan12 liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.