• No 2020 Season

#29989  by purplehorse
 Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:57 am
I wanted to get back to football instead of the public health discussion.

With the MEAC and Patriot League cancelling fall sports including football and the CAA cancelling conference football (schools free to set up an independent schedule) I will be absolutely SHOCKED if FURMAN plays football this year. At this point I would be happy if we get to play basketball. I do think the NFL will play.

My guess is the dominoes will start falling big time this week related to FCS football. Hard to imagine Southern Conference playing with the Colonial Athletic Association already being OUT. That in and of itself would have huge implications for the playoffs.

I do not see it happening.
Roundball, Jasper liked this
 #29990  by Roundball
 Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:41 pm
There is an article in The Athletic about the possibility of the Group of 5 joining with the FCS for spring football. It could be a hit on tv, with no other competition. I like it.
Last edited by Roundball on Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #29991  by cavedweller2
 Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:58 pm
If the SoCon is the only league in FCS that plays then our conference champ will be National Champs.
 #29994  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:25 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
If the SoCon is the only league in FCS that plays then our conference champ will be National Champs.
Somehow, I think the bizuns will be lined up at kickoff time on 9/12 to play Drake even if every other Team in FCS (including Drake), except the SoCon, has announced cancellation of their seasons. They have like a 27 year streak of NC’s to protect. Then they’ll face the SoCon Champion for the NC in their 1st actual game of the season.

#FUATT #BeatNDSU
 #30017  by fufanatic
 Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:25 am
Roundball wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:41 pm
There is an article in The Athletic about the possibility of the Group of 5 joining with the FCS for spring football. It could be a hit on tv, with no other competition. I like it.
That would be awesome.
 #30019  by apaladin
 Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:01 pm
NO SPRING FOOTBALL PLEASE!! Spring is for baseball!! Ok, nevermind.
 #30021  by apaladin
 Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:20 pm
Again, taking an isolated case and making it the norm. Lots of misinformation in this article and some taken out of context. Clempson had 30+ plus cases originally but only 6 the next time when they tested almost 400 peeps. South Carolina has been play travel ball all summer and haven’t heard of a spike in cases among kids. Maybe there is one and we don’t know about it? In Missouri they “blame” the small spike on rec ball but is it substantiated? I would put this guy in the fear monger category!
 #30024  by FUBeAR
 Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:42 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:20 pm
Again, taking an isolated case and making it the norm. Lots of misinformation in this article and some taken out of context. Clempson had 30+ plus cases originally but only 6 the next time when they tested almost 400 peeps. South Carolina has been play travel ball all summer and haven’t heard of a spike in cases among kids. Maybe there is one and we don’t know about it? In Missouri they “blame” the small spike on rec ball but is it substantiated? I would put this guy in the fear monger category!
His ReTweets on his Twitter feed would tend to indicate that he has a rather pronounced political bias, in addition to his interest in sports. Now his personal political leanings may have absolutely no relationship to his conclusion in this opinion piece...or they just might. Ur call.
 #30025  by Paul C
 Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:47 pm
FUBear - the political biases of objective journalists have no bearing on their reporting. For both of them.
apaladin liked this
 #30027  by Paul C
 Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:08 pm
So they are going to put off HS football until....the peak of flu season?
apaladin liked this
 #30029  by Furmanoid
 Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:42 pm
SC starts football 9/11 and other sports 8/31. Practice starts 8/17. I am very pleasantly surprised that the SCHSL came up with such a sensible plan. Football will only be 7 games which is too bad, but hopefully we go deep in the playoffs. We are only missing the games that suck anyway because it’s 150 degrees.
apaladin liked this
 #30030  by The Jackal
 Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:05 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
I don't think I could stomach a National Title for Wofford, even with an asterisk.
 #30032  by apaladin
 Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:42 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:47 pm
FUBear - the political biases of objective journalists have no bearing on their reporting. For both of them.
I got it., :lol: :lol:

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.