• Podcast Questions For Coach Richey

#23004  by DanScott
 Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:12 am
Got any questions for Coach Richey? Post them here. We are going to record a podcast on Tuesday and I thought it would be a good time to do a show on fan questions. So, fire away. We record around Noon on Tuesday.

DAN
FU03times and 1 others liked this
 #23011  by tim
 Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:21 am
What KenPom, RPI, etc ranking would a SOCON school have to attain to go into the Asheville tournament with less pressure on them for an NCAA or NIT bid? Understanding of course that Furman will win SOCON regular season or tourney or both :D
FUKA61 liked this
 #23017  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:09 pm
How can we generate some student turnout for 2 more major events that will take place when they will be coming back from winter break and going on spring break, and what would be some other creative ways to fill those voids if any? Maybe he has discussed some ideas with our AD about this? Obviously having a ton of regular Furman supporters show out would go a long way.
1) UNCG game at the 'Well'
2) SoCon tournament
 #23019  by gman
 Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:44 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
How can we generate some student turnout for 2 more major events that will take place when they will be coming back from winter break and going on spring break, and what would be some other creative ways to fill those voids if any? Maybe he has discussed some ideas with our AD about this? Obviously having a ton of regular Furman supporters show out would go a long way.
2) SoCon tournament
Good questions, but certainly not for the head coach. Coach Richey should be focusing on getting the team ready to play, not getting butts in the seats. His part in doing that is to produce on winner on the court. He is doing his part. It's up to marketing to figure out how to get students to the game. It is also up to me to invite others to see the best team in the state play.
FU03times liked this
 #23020  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:52 pm
gman wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:44 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
2) SoCon tournament
Good questions, but certainly not for the head coach. Coach Richey should be focusing on getting the team ready to play, not getting butts in the seats. His part in doing that is to produce on winner on the court. He is doing his part. It's up to marketing to figure out how to get students to the game. It is also up to me to invite others to see the best team in the state play.

I agree for sure, maybe Dan can ask Jason Donnelly that question next time he sits down to speak with him
 #23027  by fufanatic
 Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:39 pm
I think many of us were worried about the loss of Rafferty heading into this year. But it seems like several guys have stepped up and it's been a true team effort to fill that void. Can you talk about how the offense has changed without him on the court, and if any players in particular have stepped up in certain areas, most notably when it's crunch time or things are going against you and you need a bucket to settle the team down?

The play of Bothwell this year has been remarkable, especially how he handled the end-of-game situation against UTSA. What areas did he improve most in in the offseason, and what's his ceiling? He seems like he could be a SoCon Player of the Year contender in the coming years.
Jasper liked this
 #23028  by MNORM
 Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:57 pm
Loved the coaching moves on Saturday, switching into the 1-3-1 defense when Winthrop was in-bounding the ball side-court with 15-20 seconds on the shot-clock.
I'd like to hear more about CBR's defensive philosophies, both in general, and in specific game scenarios that call for changes to the typical man D.
 #23032  by furpop16
 Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:41 pm
Despite the challenges Coach described during the offseason, the non-conference schedule shaped-up quite respectably. As ranked by some of the Usual Suspects, FU's Strength of Schedule (as of 12/16/19):
  • Massey: 161
    Sagarin: 180
    KenPom: 154
With the BSWA as a viable alternative home-court, what changes does Coach Richey hope to make to future non-conference schedules: Fewer non-D1 matches? Hosting one or more “high-major” teams? Even stronger SOS rankings?
 #23066  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:43 am
Which couple of SoCon teams and individual players has coach Richey been most impressed by in their OOC performance? Which team has surprised him the most, WCU maybe? Does he feel the league is just as strong as it was last year overall?
 #23068  by youwouldno
 Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:56 am
Does coach Richey have a general preference for getting back on defense, as opposed to crashing the offensive boards? Or does he base transition defense more on the players he has available?
 #23088  by Flagman
 Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:23 pm
I hope some on here with take Coach Richey’s comments to heart.
MNORM liked this
 #23093  by furpop16
 Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:23 pm
Flagman wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:23 pm
I hope some on here with take Coach Richey’s comments to heart.
I was looking forward to Coach commenting on what insightful fans we all are. I feel badly that we disappointed him.
 #23098  by youwouldno
 Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:01 am
I've always liked how detailed and specific Richey is with his comments and responses to questions. Listening to him is a learning experience beyond just what's going on with the Paladins at the moment.

It will be interesting to see if he changes his approach at all when he's head coach of a power conference team (hopefully for Furman a while down the road). He's probably going to have to just steer clear of those message boards altogether.
tim liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Scouting Samford

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:39 am

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:29 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.