• UTC thread

#38868  by fufanatic
 Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:29 pm
No matter how some will spin it, this team just isn't very good. I hope there's growth before August, but there's a ton to work on.
bj93, purplehorse liked this
 #38872  by Sad Din
 Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:37 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:34 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:29 pm
No matter how some will spin it, this team just isn't very good. I hope there's growth before August, but there's a ton to work on.
Finding an actual QB would be a good start. Go to the transfer portal.
and while you are at it... a decent play caller
bj93 liked this
 #38873  by FU3
We are just a hot mess on O. GQ was one of the greatest HS head coaches of all time ...but an ineffective college O coordinator. The interesting question is what our head coach is going to do about on the off season. I really believe we are squandering a ton of talent right now.
bj93 liked this
 #38874  by Roundball
 Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:41 pm
UTC is not a good football team at all. It’s hard to think they could be the SoCon champs. This might just be the weakest the SoCon has been in many years.
 #38875  by Sad Din
 Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:43 pm
FU3 wrote:
We are just a hot mess on O. GQ was one of the greatest HS head coaches of all time ...but an ineffective college O coordinator. The interesting question is what our head coach is going to do about on the off season. I really believe we are squandering a ton of talent right now.
it only took 2 qtrs of constant trying to figure out they were too big and strong to run up the middle.. and then they still tried it in crucial moments

lets not forget the end around at the 10 yard line for loss. and the pass down field when only needing 5 yards
 #38877  by apaladin
 Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:49 pm
Funny on the last utc fg, if they had not gained 3 yds. on the previous play it would have been short.
CCH was at a loss for words on the postgame.
 #38878  by apaladin
 Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:52 pm
Roundball wrote:
UTC is not a good football team at all. It’s hard to think they could be the SoCon champs. This might just be the weakest the SoCon has been in many years.
[/quote
Last edited by apaladin on Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #38879  by apaladin
 Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:54 pm
Roundball wrote:
If UTC had a good QB we would have lost by 4 TD’s. To make matters worse Sammy is going to beat VMI.
Dirty South Sarge liked this
 #38880  by apaladin
 Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:56 pm
FU3 wrote:
Thought we ran the ball well. 49 yards on 34 carries, thats almost a yard and a half per carry. 😂😂😂😂
 #38882  by Jasper
 Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:02 pm
That may have been the most bizarre and inept college football game I have ever seen. The offense is the worst I have witnessed at Furman and that includes the Fowler years. It is poorly designed, poorly constructed and sophomorically utilized. The QB may well be a wonderful young man but he is simply not a college quarterback. If the coaching staff actually chose him over Grainger, they are terrible judges of talent. The fact of the matter is that this is a poorly coached football team that seems to be unprepared for the opponent they are facing. The HC showed promise when he came in with a pair of great OC and DC hires in his first season. Drew Cronic ran an exciting and productive offense that leaked over into the season following his departure for greener pasture but has been regressing to the pitiful state it is in now under the current OC. I realize it is sacrilege to criticize long time members of the FU football family but that does not make it false. Unless Furman recognizes that there is plenty of non Furman connected talent out there in the young football coaching ranks and hires some for a few years, this is the product that will be put on the field. Today's game was a disheartening farce and a disservice to the players and fans but it was a more accurate evaluation of the team then the record reflected. I would think serious consideration has to be given as to whether football should be a scholarship driven sport under these conditions.
 #38884  by Sad Din
 Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:08 pm
its just amazin...

in two losses this year.... both ended in fumbles when trying to get to field position for a FG

:shock:

#38893  by Thorny
 Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:52 pm
First off, there are two sides to this coin. Furman is 3-2 in conference play with a front loaded schedule and has lost to the two teams vying for the conference championship by a total of three points. Based on that there is a limit to how bad Furman can actually be. Furman is in every game and no one here can say otherwise.

Secondly, when CCH came to Furman he had a super thin O line recruited for a more pass oriented offense and a starting RB that was recruited as a safety. Turned out that most of the teams in the conference couldn't stop Furman with this formula when Furman just repeatedly ran it up the middle.

Now that Furman has recruited an offensive line for a run based offense, has plenty of depth, and some of the offensive backs that will ever play for Furman...Furman can't average 2 yards a carry. :|
I'm lost on this and I'm kind of inclined to blame Covid. It's a freaking weird season with little consistency for every FCS team but still...I expected more out of Furman's running game.

I'm not blaming Sisson or the play calls. This offense shouldn't relying on a Sophomore QB with little starting experience to carry it over the finish line. If someone should be carrying Furman over the finish line it should be Wynn but he can't do that without the offensive line making holes to run through.

As for play calling, I have a strong belief that coaches "bad" play calling is based on things that we, as fans, do not know about. Plays are called based on what the coaches have faith the team can pull off & when the coaches don't have much faith the play calling gets weird... So, I'm not going to blame play calling but I am going to blame the players not being in a place at the beginning of the season where they were ready to compete...which is on the coaches.

Never played football so my football IQ is probably significantly below the average fan on here but these are my thoughts.

I'm not going to complain about the fans this time. Furman was in the game but it REALLY was not pretty.
purplehorse liked this
 #38899  by tim
 Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:27 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:02 pm
That may have been the most bizarre and inept college football game I have ever seen. The offense is the worst I have witnessed at Furman and that includes the Fowler years. It is poorly designed, poorly constructed and sophomorically utilized. The QB may well be a wonderful young man but he is simply not a college quarterback. If the coaching staff actually chose him over Grainger, they are terrible judges of talent. The fact of the matter is that this is a poorly coached football team that seems to be unprepared for the opponent they are facing. The HC showed promise when he came in with a pair of great OC and DC hires in his first season. Drew Cronic ran an exciting and productive offense that leaked over into the season following his departure for greener pasture but has been regressing to the pitiful state it is in now under the current OC. I realize it is sacrilege to criticize long time members of the FU football family but that does not make it false. Unless Furman recognizes that there is plenty of non Furman connected talent out there in the young football coaching ranks and hires some for a few years, this is the product that will be put on the field. Today's game was a disheartening farce and a disservice to the players and fans but it was a more accurate evaluation of the team then the record reflected. I would think serious consideration has to be given as to whether football should be a scholarship driven sport under these conditions.
You have the right to vomit up that garbage but you are just way out of line, especially the part about Sisson not being a college qb.
 #38902  by purplehorse
 Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:45 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:32 pm
Any QB needs an OL too. But yeah, the whole O is just painful at times. Which is a shame as I think the D - for the most part- gets it done

These opposing teams don’t respect our passing games
What passing game?