Roundball wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:20 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:35 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:37 pm
Flagman wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:34 pm
Good day for the Paladins! Furman wins! citadel and woffy lose.
Great day.

Though someone please beat VMI. GOOD GRIEF. They skipped Chatt. Beat us. Samford ETSU and Woff are my hopes
ETSU is the only one of those with a chance. Samford’s D cannot stop VMI’s O, but VMI’s D can stop Samford’s O. Woffy will Conklin out & lose if they don’t. Wofford is not very good. CIT, obviously, has serious issues. WCU, like Mercer, whipped their fannies today.

I think it’s time to go the other way. I’m pulling for VMI to go 6-0 or 7-0 and lobbying for them as #1 seed in the Playoffs. Will rank them #1 in my AGS Poll this week (maybe)...and hope for winning out and an At-Large for the Paladins. It’s the only way I see us getting into the Playoffs. VMI will not lose 2x.
We need to keep in mind there are only 16 teams playing in the playoffs this year, 10 auto-bids and 6 at large bids. We need to take care of business every week.
Hence, including “winning out” and recognizing that we already d’int a few weeks ago.

The only way FU can get the Autobid is “winning out” AND VMI losing a game. Other than, possibly, ETSU, who do you see the Keydets losing to?
Samford can beat VMI. Heck, Samford is only a couple of plays away from being undefeated.
Samford is hosting VMI. I’ll give you Samford and 6 points for 5 dogecoin.
 #38538  by gofurman
 Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:50 pm
I know beating Chatt is a tall order but supposing we could win out - Does anyone know the tiebreaker? Is it different this year? FUBeAR said win pct but I don’t know if that’s fact or what he was supposing? That - win pct - scares me. It is proceeding exactly as I feared. A 6-0 VMI takes a 7-1 Furman. VMI who skipped a Chatt game which is top two in league. (Granted in that case VMI did beat us head to head so a little easier to accept). But what if Chat and VMI both go undefeated. I don’t think Chatt was ‘scared’. Heck they wanted to play all comers in the fall. I think they probably had COVID and VMI was not known as a good team then anyway. I could buy that Chatt had COVID and would have wanted to play. They have played pre season Woff and are coming to us (the other pre season top team).
 #38539  by apaladin
 Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:52 pm
Roundball, pretty sure their are 11 autibids and only 5 at large this year. All kinds of scenarios. Next week of course is the key game. I think UTC is the best team left on the schedule. The offense has to quit taking the first half off.
 #38541  by gofurman
 Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:03 pm
apaladin wrote:
Roundball, pretty sure their are 11 autibids and only 5 at large this year. All kinds of scenarios. Next week of course is the key game. I think UTC is the best team left on the schedule. The offense has to quit taking the first half off.
I think it’s 10 Auto and 6 at-large. But I’ve been wrong a lot before ;)
 #38543  by FUBeAR
 Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:16 pm
gofurman wrote:
I know beating Chatt is a tall order but supposing we could win out - Does anyone know the tiebreaker? Is it different this year? FUBeAR said win pct but I don’t know if that’s fact or what he was supposing? That - win pct - scares me. It is proceeding exactly as I feared. A 6-0 VMI takes a 7-1 Furman. VMI who skipped a Chatt game which is top two in league. (Granted in that case VMI did beat us head to head so a little easier to accept). But what if Chat and VMI both go undefeated. I don’t think Chatt was ‘scared’. Heck they wanted to play all comers in the fall. I think they probably had COVID and VMI was not known as a good team then anyway. I could buy that Chatt had COVID and would have wanted to play. They have played pre season Woff and are coming to us (the other pre season top team).
Chatt had about 15 reasons why they refused to play VMI. Stadium has no water. We have Covid. We haven’t been able to practice. Dog ate our homework. Couldn’t get a cab. They did not want to play VMI at home in Week1. They whomped a pretty meh (at best) Teary-ers Team, and they dang near lost to a Team that lost to WCU today. Now, they are going to say they aren’t really trying this Spring, but that’s BS too. YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME. Any Coach that puts his Team on the field without that mind-set is guilty of malpractice...so they don’t do it. Chatt is trying to win every game this Spring just as hard as they can - just like everyone else.

Tiebreaker is posted on SoCon site, but it doesn’t address how the tie is broken if tied teams don’t play each other.

I know it’s hard to accept, but barring ETSU rising UP, VMI is going to be SoCon Champions. And, yeah, the Keydets might find a way to sidestep ETSU too. I do think they’ll go to Sammy. I think Woffy will duck them & I think the Keydets will luxuriate in the beat down they are going to put on the bellhops in LexVegas if the luggagetoters don’t Conklin out of that one.
 #38545  by FurmAlum
 Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:42 pm
Don't count your chickens before they hatch. The Key-Dettes could lose to Sammy, Woffy, Citadel, and ETSU. Or they might win them all, but I don't think so.

We need to take care of business and not worry about anything else.
AstroDin liked this
 #38546  by FurmAlum
 Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:45 pm
And one other thing...driving up on game day and then whupping ETSU's butt in their own back yard after being down 10-0 at the half deserves an ATTA-BOY!
FUBeAR, Affirm, AstroDin and 3 others liked this
 #38548  by FUBeAR
 Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:49 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Don't count your chickens before they hatch. The Key-Dettes could lose to Sammy, Woffy, Citadel, and ETSU. Or they might win them all, but I don't think so.

LOL - VMI ain’t my cheekins. I just watch a lot of FCS Football. Occasionally, I’m wrong.

That is exactly what the Coaches & Players need to do.

As Fans & Poll Voters, we need to be singing the praises of VMI on high. They really do deserve it. The Keydets getting A LOT of sudden respect is only way FU has a shot at the Playoffs, IMO. Hope to be wrong.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #38556  by tya1
 Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:24 pm
So far this season has taught me to not get too worried about slow starts. The bad news is the possibility that the team will have the same viewpoint. We have trailed in the first half in each win and lead in the first half in the only loss.

My impression is that the coaches try to see if the basic plays will be enough early on and only mix it up later if needed. If so, i understand the reasoning but wish we didn't make it easy on the defense to begin the game.
 #38562  by Roundball
 Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:51 am
apaladin wrote:
According to this article, it is 10 and 6. https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/arti ... -will-work
 #38563  by Roundball
 Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:53 am
gofurman wrote:
I posted this earlier. https://static.soconsports.com/custompa ... otball.pdf
 #38567  by AstroDin
 Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:17 am
Some AGS SoCon posters had questioned Furman's rushing defense.
Holding the Buc rushing attack to 90 yards rushing — answers that question.

This is the second game in a row that the defensive line has man-handled an opponent's offensive line in the fourth quarter. I'm calling this a pattern. It's also a really good sign for the fall season. I have no idea if Parker Stokes will pay both seasons - I sure hope so - we're seeing the Stokes we saw during his freshman campaign - explosiveness. At times watching our defensive line I can't believe how we've gone from an undersized d-line to a very stout athletic d-line that averages over 280 pounds. Also, a tip of the hat to Matt Sochovoka that dude can blow up some plays.

I'm starting to keep my eye on Nick Kuzemka - if you watch Nick he appears to be in control of the defense calling plays, getting the guys in the right play, and he's got a nose for the football. Furman has a young stable of linebackers; Kuzemka (RSFR) Gilby (RSSO) Miller (SO) McCormick (RSFR) DiMaggio (FR) Youngblood (FR). Furman brings in two more in the fall Beuglas (6-1 220) and Achina (6-1 192). I'd say we're only going to get better…

Luke Clark's stellar special teams play appears to be earning him more snaps at bandit. Clark (6-3 224) is a great example of what the coaches have changed through recruiting. Clark is athletic, very explosive, with a long frame he could easily develop into playing in the 240-pound range.

Final thought — if Darius Kearse isn't first team all SoCon it will be a travesty. Kearse is playing some great cover D and his run support is equally impressive.
PalaDad, FUKA61, FUBeAR and 1 others liked this
 #38572  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:27 am
To win the conference isn’t there a minimum of 6 games played?
 #38573  by The Jackal
 Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:29 pm
FurmAlum wrote:

VMI's only road game to this point was a pretty bad WCU team. Their road game to UTC was postponed. They have back to back road trips to Samford and then Wofford, which will put them to the test.

Looking around the FCS, no one looks dominant. All Furman can do is keep winning and see what happens.
AstroDin liked this