DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:15 pm
FU3 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:12 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:03 pm
FU3 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:02 pm
Check out who some of the losses were against and by how much... wallow away if it helps.
Lol, we have not played 1 good team all season, that's a fact, checkout our SOS
Let me know at seasons end if the 3 teams I mentioned are still on your crappy list. Did you really laugh out loud the past 2 responses?...asking for a friend

Here is how crappy UTA is:
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... =401174735
They beat a 6-1 Tulsa team and lost by 6 to Gonzaga...again lets see where these teams end up.
I am talking about where they are now, that's all I can go on at the moment
 #22135  by purplehorse
 Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:34 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:29 pm
It’s silly to extrapolate from one game but I am concerned. We seem to have regressed after a solid start to the year.

The D is still there but the O is stagnating and making too many silly errors like missed dunks, unforced turnovers and sloppy play. Yes Jalen Slawson, I’m talking to you. Get your head in the game.

On the O side, the last 2 games we are 40-107 (37%) from the field, partly because we are 16-56 (28%) from 3. Yes, 53% of our shots last 2 games have been 3s. That’s way too many, especially when you’re not hitting them.

It’s not an effort thing. Without our D we lose to UTA by 10 and tonite we lose by 20. It’s offensive flow. And Jalen Williams wouldn’t have helped that.
But Jalen could at least rebound. We need more bulk. Granted he was not going to score much and had poor hands. Is he playing somewhere this year?
 #22138  by Paul C
 Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:39 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:34 pm
But Jalen could at least rebound. We need more bulk. Granted he was not going to score much and had poor hands. Is he playing somewhere this year?
I think the answer to that question is, well, the answer to that question.
 #22145  by FurmAlum
 Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:30 pm
I agree with FU3, those 3 teams we beat are not crappy. And I still like this team.

On the road 1. We are not going to get the calls. 2. We are not going to shoot as well as at home. And 3. Games have to be won with good D, good rebounding, and heads up play. Like the UTA game.

We could have won this game without making 1 more shot:

Player runs mouth. Gets Technical - 2 points
Player tries to dunk twice (instead of using his body as a shield and laying it in off the glass - 4 points
Player steps on out of bounds line at crunch time -2 points
Player makes careless inbounds pass - 3 points There's the 11 points

I played for an old school coach in high school. Any player getting a technical would result in the whole team running the next day in practice until at least 3 players puked. The result was, in my 3 years of playing, I can only remember 1 player tech, and the consequence was a brutal practice the next day that lasted at least 3 hours. It was made clear from day one that a tech from a player was not acceptable. The coach got a couple, but not many. Also, stupid mistakes, like some of the above always resulted in running. Kept us in shape.

I am confident that coach R will handle it the appropriate way and our team will learn and get better.
 #22146  by FU03times
 Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:02 pm
Based on the fact that CBR never came out for the post-game interview, I think he knows darn well what went wrong. I do believe our team maybe got a little cocky after last week’s Ws and I’ve been seeing a group of guys that want to put more emphasis on the looks of the game and putting on a show rather than really playing tough and technically correct with attention to detail. I like this team either way, I just really think we need to take a step back and go back to the fundamentals. Are the coaches trying to do too many new things in a short period of time? Well, that depends on how fast these guys grasp onto new concepts, new plays, and adapt their ways to these new plays. I have no picture of that so I can’t speak to that. I’m taking this piece of humble pie and nibbling on it all day tomorrow, and I think that’s what our guys should do. Before moving on, we need to understand that if we want to be the great team we presented ourselves to be early on, we need to bring our A game on the court every single time, maintain our quality, and stick to who we really are. I really hate that we lost to a team we could have beaten, but bad shooting night or not, USF was the more focused team out there tonight and they got the W. There’s no space in college basketball to let our guard down like that. There’s no doubt we have excellent coaches, talented and hard working players, and a characteristic and well thought-out game plan. We WILL bounce back, and I’m excited to see how our team and our coaches do that.
Go Dins!
MNORM liked this
 #22147  by Paladin91
 Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:04 pm
That was a rough game to watch - we shot horribly against a very beatable team. We were still in it with less than 5 min to go. Our defense was not crisp tonight - created few turnovers. Our shots didn't fall from 3, with the exception of Gurley's. FU is better than what showed up tonight - hopefully BR will make some adjustments. Would love to see Beeker get a little more playing time - was he even at the game? He didn't play. Our rebounding was horrible tonight.

Maybe they are saving something special for Auburn - let's hope so!
 #22153  by purplehorse
 Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:15 am
We won’t win many games when we get out-rebounded by 15. That part of our game needs to be more focused.

Need Lyons and Hunter to each score at least 10 every game. That is not asking too much.

Kudos to Mounce for getting 12 rebounds tonight. Amazing how you can consistently out-rebound Gurley (3) and Slawson (2) together game after game. Crazy!
 #22158  by apaladin
 Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:33 am
It was a carbon copy of the Alabama game. Three staters scored a total of 16 points. Just can't win like that especially when you only have one player that can score comng off the bench. Expect a huge beatdown Thursday but do expect to bouce back at home againt Upstate and N. Greenville. Prolly another loss at the Well against a good Winthrop team. Then comes the SoCon at Mercer, who lost to 1-7 Holy Cross tonigh by 15t and at VMI.
 #22163  by soconjohn
 Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:42 am
I thought the team played pretty well defensively just looking at it objectively...You’re asking a lot of your defense when you shoot poorly...Giving up less than 70 pts a night and creating as many turnovers as Furman did and not being able to get out and get points in transition were key for USF...They created enough disruption for whatever reason to limit run-outs...The empty offensive possessions off turnovers and the lack of just simply getting a behind on someone and boxing out were the biggest reasons I saw that Furman was unsuccessful...Yes they shot it poorly...But rebounding is something that’s simple execution and you can do it every game a year...Same can’t be said for shooting...good news is these Problems are fixable and have really nothing to do with Xs and Os at all...Furman lost because it wasn’t fundamentally sound tonight on the boards...they’ll be all right.
 #22164  by soconjohn
 Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:55 am
Also a point everyone is overlooking here is that a mediocre or bad basketball team would have gotten beaten by 20-25 points in either the Alabama or USF game shooting that poorly...Not saying their are moral victories because there aren’t...But a team that is not very good or mediocre mid major would have gotten run off the floor in either game against a high major team no matter what the perception of that high major is...That’s reality.
MNORM, fufanatic liked this
 #22165  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:01 am
soconjohn wrote:
Also a point everyone is overlooking here is that a mediocre or bad basketball team would have gotten beaten by 20-25 points in either the Alabama or USF game shooting that poorly...Not saying their are moral victories because there aren’t...But a team that is not very good or mediocre mid major would have gotten run off the floor in either game against a high major team no matter what the perception of that high major is...That’s reality.
IUPUI is a bad team, they won at USF by 17
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ui-jaguars
 #22170  by soconjohn
 Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:11 am
Good teams lose bad games or to opponents they shouldn't...It's basketball...A few years ago College of Charleston lost to Anderson College and beat No. 24 Baylor in the same season...It's unreasonable to say because A happens, B then also must be true.
 #22171  by soconjohn
 Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:21 am
FU has been held to less than 60 points only 7 times in 76 games under Bob Richey. FU is 1-6 in those games, with the only win last week-- (58-57) over UTA...It's only happened two times in consecutive games...The past two games and last year vs LSU and ETSU...Furman is 1-3 in those games...ETSU and LSU last year and USF and UTA this year...I get it UTA is some horrible team that has one bad loss and has been competitive against a really tough slate...But I suppose Dec. 2 is the end of Furman's basketball season...It's unreasonable to even think Furman is some horrible basketball team now because they didn't beat USF and Alabama, which would be games that a chance to even be competitive in Furman fans would have jumped at the opportunity a few years ago...It's a little bit spoiled of fans to look at these games and determine the fate of the season...Before the season Loyola, Bama and USF looked like good games...and they still might be good seasons for all three...UTA was picked second in the Sun Belt behind South Alabama--a team that should have beaten Auburn and UTC drilled by 18...Throw in the towel if you want to, but this logic of Furman has beaten no one and those are horrible losses and Furman will get drilled by Auburn is not very logical at all.

2019-20
FU 58, UTA 57 (Nov. 27, 2019)
USF 65, FU 55 (Dec. 2, 2019)

2018-19
LSU 75, FU 57 (Dec. 22)
ETSU 74, FU 53 (Dec. 29)

2017-18
ETSU 63, FU 52 (Mar. 4, 2018)

ST PETERS 77, FU 51 ()
Wofford 59-54

Final thing: Mounce and Gurley went a combined 13-of-25 from the field--52%
Rest of team: 7-of-31 --22.5%
Last edited by soconjohn on Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #22174  by MNORM
 Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:21 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:01 am
soconjohn wrote:
IUPUI is a bad team, they won at USF by 17
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ui-jaguars
Duke lost to Stephen F. Austin. Kentucky lost to Evansville. Really good teams can have off nights. We're 7-2...relax. At the end of the day what really matters, as a mid-major, is our play in the conference. The SoCon is still a one bid conference for the tournament. These are learning experiences that, hopefully, make us better for conference play. The sky isn't falling.
fufanatic, dornb liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Scouting Samford

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:39 am

Default Avatar FU VS W&M GAME THREAD

by gofurman

Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:29 am

User avatar THE NEW SEASON

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:57 pm

User avatar Bothwell

by FU Hoopla

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:46 pm

User avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:31 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.