• Preseason Top 25

#72651  by The Jackal
 Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:37 pm
Purple rain wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:19 pm
Most of our new Dins are graduate transfers.
Not really sure how to put this, but it also seems to me that our strategy is not to "recruit over" our current players.

Most of our transfers seem to fit into a specific role and do not necessarily "block" the development of younger players that were recruited out of high school.
 #72661  by AllTimeFU
 Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:03 pm
That’s how you build culture and recruit kids wanting to prove they were overlooked.
 #72816  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:43 am
Some Massey SoCon stuff, FWIW…

FCS Rank Team
10 Furman
13 Samford
14 Chattanooga
15 Mercer
34 ETSU
46 W Carolina
47 Wofford
50 Citadel
67 VMI

…but, Massey Matchup sez Mercer gets the Autobid, tying with Samford at 7-1 in the SoCon, but beating the Bulldogs in the de facto SoCon Championship Game in the season’s final week. Mercer loses to Furman only and Samford loses to Mercer only. Chatt ties for 3rd with Furman, but takes the head to head matchup with the Paladins…so…

1) Mercer 9-2 / 7-1
2) Samford 9-2 / 7-1
3) Chatt 8-3 / 6-2
4) Furman 8-3 / 6-2
5) ETSU 5-6 / 4-4
6 The Citadel 5-6 /3-5
7) Wofford 3-8 / 2-6
8) WCU 2-9 / 1-7
9) VMI 2-9 / 0-8
 #72835  by The Jackal
 Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:58 am
I haven't looked much at Mercer yet, but I think they are going to have to overcome the loss of Fred Payton. The Bears still have James and Harper on the roster, both of whom are among the SoCon's top offensive playmakers.

I suppose Carter Peevy is the heir apparent at QB.
 #72843  by FUBeAR
 Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:06 pm
The Jackal wrote:
I haven't looked much at Mercer yet, but I think they are going to have to overcome the loss of Fred Payton. The Bears still have James and Harper on the roster, both of whom are among the SoCon's top offensive playmakers.

Yep - will be interesting to see how Peevy has developed as a 2 year ‘understudy’ to Payton after being All SoCon Freshman Team as a rookie Starter. With redshirt last year & Covid year, he still has 3 years to play even though he’s already played in 18 games, starting 8 of those. Heard he had a good spring holding off the R-FR who looked good in some ‘mop-up’ action last year and the ‘3 star’ Transfer from Missouri State. Will be interesting to see if/how Mercer adapts their Offense to Peevy. He’s much more of a power runner. Payton really only ran as a last resort or just a time or 2 to keep Defenses ‘honest.’ And while Payton had great touch / accuracy on his passes, Peevy actually has more of a ‘live arm.’ If he picked up Payton’s ability to put the right touch on the ball, which he did NOT have as a Freshman and dialed in his accuracy, he could be really good.

Right up there with the importance of that QB replace/reload for the Bears will be how they restructure/rebuild the OL. They had a lot of injuries last year as the season progressed and they were really just holding it together with duct tape and chicken wire in the last quarter of the season. Lost some experience and good Players through graduation and the portal. They’ve brought in some new ones and have a slew of Redshirt Freshman that could fill some gaps.

If those 2 areas measure up, Mercer should FINALLY make the Playoffs. If not, 7-4 and no Playoffs is best case.
 #72845  by The Jackal
 Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:30 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Yep - will be interesting to see how Peevy has developed as a 2 year ‘understudy’ to Payton after being All SoCon Freshman Team as a rookie Starter. With redshirt last year & Covid year, he still has 3 years to play even though he’s already played in 18 games, starting 8 of those. Heard he had a good spring holding off the R-FR who looked good in some ‘mop-up’ action last year and the ‘3 star’ Transfer from Missouri State. Will be interesting to see if/how Mercer adapts their Offense to Peevy. He’s much more of a power runner. Payton really only ran as a last resort or just a time or 2 to keep Defenses ‘honest.’ And while Payton had great touch / accuracy on his passes, Peevy actually has more of a ‘live arm.’ If he picked up Payton’s ability to put the right touch on the ball, which he did NOT have as a Freshman and dialed in his accuracy, he could be really good.

Right up there with the importance of that QB replace/reload for the Bears will be how they restructure/rebuild the OL. They had a lot of injuries last year as the season progressed and they were really just holding it together with duct tape and chicken wire in the last quarter of the season. Lost some experience and good Players through graduation and the portal. They’ve brought in some new ones and have a slew of Redshirt Freshman that could fill some gaps.

If those 2 areas measure up, Mercer should FINALLY make the Playoffs. If not, 7-4 and no Playoffs is best case.

The playoffs should definitely be a goal for Mercer. However, questionable depth, a rebuilt offensive line, and a largely untested QB are certainly going to be hurdles.
 #72846  by FUBeAR
 Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:46 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:30 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

The playoffs should definitely be a goal for Mercer. However, questionable depth, a rebuilt offensive line, and a largely untested QB are certainly going to be hurdles.
1 of those things is true
 #72870  by Louis Tully
 Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:27 pm
This FU team may be one of the best ever. If not the best. We will contend. A big message will be sent on Sept 9.

Fear The Paladins.
FUBeAR, dornb, QCGlue and 1 others liked this
 #72872  by The Jackal
 Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:35 pm
Louis Tully wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:27 pm
This FU team may be one of the best ever. If not the best. We will contend. A big message will be sent on Sept 9.

Fear The Paladins.

Hope always springs eternal in the preseason, but I think we're going to be pretty good.
FUBeAR liked this
 #73079  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:40 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:17 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:47 am
It's wild to me the different roster building strategies in the modern era of college football.

Furman has three players transfer out (one had already graduated, I believe) and three transfer in (one or two yet to be announced).

Incarnate Word has 17 transfer out and 20 transfer in. https://herosports.com/fcs-2023-uiw-foo ... view-bzbz/

Samford isn't quite Incarnate Word in terms of transfers, but still are brining in 14 of them. 8 of those transfers appear to be defensive backs. https://herosports.com/fcs-2023-samford ... view-bzbz/
* Samford has not updated their 2022 roster online
* Samford had 31 transfers listed on last year's online roster.
* Of those 31, 14 were listed as NOT-Sr's / NOT-Gr's - so...if we assume all but 1 (as cited in the article) of those 14 return and that this article is correct, with no more transfers to add, Samford will have 27 transfers on their 2023 Roster

Below are PRELIMINARY NUMBERS - based on Current online rosters.... these rosters WILL change before the season starts and their current accuracy is suspect. Also - "Transfer" includes any type of transfer - Prep School, JUCO, Community College, etc. - coming to a school from anywhere other than directly from a "high school."

Number of transfers (currently) expected to be on each SoCon Team's 2023 Rosters (most to fewest)

1) CHATTANOOGA 33
2) WCU 28
3) SAMFORD 27 (based on 2022 Roster + Article cited)
4) ETSU 25* (No update to 2022 Roster - this is ETSU's 2022 number)
5) MERCER 17
6) WOFFORD 17
7) THE CITADEL 11 (no incoming Players added to 2023 online Roster - this number will be higher)
8) FURMAN 10 (we know there are a few more to be added)
9) VMI 0
Samford updated their online roster and they are the 'new leader'...

Expected # of Transfers on 2023 SoCon Rosters (by Team - most to fewest)

1) SAMFORD 44 (based on recent roster update)(47 New Players (30 transfers) / 68 Returning Players (14 transfers) / 36 Departing Players (17 were transfers in); 10 with eligibility remaining)
2) CHATTANOOGA 33
3) WCU 30
4) ETSU 25* (7/5 - Still no update to 2022 Roster - this is ETSU's 2022 number)
5) MERCER 19
6) WOFFORD 17
7) FURMAN 12
8) THE CITADEL 9 (Roster updated 7/5 - Lost 6 Transfers from 2022 Roster; all out of eligibility. Only added 3 Transfers to 2023 Roster in the 23 New Players added)
9) VMI 0
 #73384  by The Jackal
 Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:23 am
There were amusing comments. It's a an eye catching headline, but not totally crazy.

Furman went on the road to Incarnate Word in the playoffs and all but had them beat. UIW turned around and lead NDSU in Fargo the next week by 16 at one point, and only surrendered the lead in the final two minutes. UIW was in a dogfight against both teams. It's not at all crazy Furman is in that conversation returning that many players.
FUeveryday, FU Hoopla, dornb and 2 others liked this
 #73455  by Roundball
 Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:26 pm
Excellent podcast. Discussion about Furman begins at about the 10 minute mark.

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.