• Quarles

#48282  by FUpaladin08
 Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:04 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:46 am
This is unrelated, but we're just now starting to see the post-2000s crowd of Furman players move into the upper levels of coaching.

Napier is the HC at Florida
Kitchings is RB coach for the Falcons and likely could be a FBS coordinator/FCS head coach if he wanted to be
Bratton at Furman
Thacker is the DC at Georgia Tech
Josh Stepp is the TE coach/RC at Georgia State
Justin Stepp is WR coach at USC
Adam Mims is WR coach at UTC
Maurice Duncan is DC at North Greenville
Carter Barfield is currently, I think, an offensive analyst at FSU, but had recent stints at Mercer and Georgia Southern
Patrick Covington is OC at Lamar
PC or Josh Stepp would be my pick to be new OC but I doubt either would leave their current positions for Furman. Both played under Hendrix and were likely recruited by him. I just think a former OL would be a fantastic choice to run the CCH offense, or having a former QB would clearly help since we now need a QB coach.

There was a time when the OC at Furman would be considered an upgrade to OC at Lamar. Not sure that’s still true right now.
 #48284  by AstroDin
 Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:10 pm
I'll throw a wild card name out there in this wacky era of sports and coaches doing the unpredictable.
If I was CCH I would test the waters with Scott Wachenheim. They're friends, and he has a great track record on offense and he had a huge turnover of players and coaches after the season.
 #48285  by AstroDin
 Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:19 pm
Some random digging on the salaries of the top HS coaches in SC.
Tom Knotts at Dutch Fork makes $106,000.
Ingle coaches at CPA (private) maybe FuBear can unearth his salary range my guess is between $120-$160K.

Will be interesting to see which direction CCH goes with the QB position coach.
 #48287  by tim
 Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:24 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:10 pm
I'll throw a wild card name out there in this wacky era of sports and coaches doing the unpredictable.
If I was CCH I would test the waters with Scott Wachenheim. They're friends, and he has a great track record on offense and he had a huge turnover of players and coaches after the season.
I think he just signed a nice extension.
 #48288  by tim
 Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:29 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:56 am
The Jackal wrote:
This is unrelated, but we're just now starting to see the post-2000s crowd of Furman players move into the upper levels of coaching.

Kitchings is RB coach for the Falcons and likely could be a FBS coordinator/FCS head coach if he wanted to be
Bratton at Furman
Carter Barfield is currently, I think, an offensive analyst at FSU, but had recent stints at Mercer and Georgia Southern
We're missing another ex-player > > >
https://twitter.com/coachbrighamuab
Also, there is one whose name escapes me. He battled Forcier at qb after Jordan Sorrells graduated. He coached some at Citadel and once was on the staff at Kennesaw, but I lost track of him, including his name :D
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #48291  by FUpaladin08
 Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:30 pm
tim wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:29 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:56 am
The Jackal wrote:

Bratton at Furman
We're missing another ex-player > > >
https://twitter.com/coachbrighamuab
Also, there is one whose name escapes me. He battled Forcier at qb after Jordan Sorrells graduated. He coached some at Citadel and once was on the staff at Kennesaw, but I lost track of him, including his name :D
Coached QBs at Citadel, KSU, and now Army. I don’t remember him being an option QB at Furman but he clearly knows his stuff. Would love him on staff to coach QBs but if BB is too inexperienced to handle OC duties, as many say, Worley has a long ways to go. Don’t see him leaving Army for the same job at Furman.

If you think about CCH’s last two OCs they came from lower levels. I think it will be tough to fill the role from FCS or FBS unless CCH has a large sum of money to offer. Furman has become a lateral move in FCS and an after thought compared to FBS jobs. Seems like CCH will need to pull from the lower levels again unless he can find someone with that Furman connection that WANTS to be at Furman.
 #48292  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:45 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:48 am
I think Jackal is just doing that lawyer argument stuff. He doesn’t really think it’s a no brainer.

If you have a guy who has racked up a stellar record as OC beating Avocado St., Hooterville Tech and Pixley College he at least should get an interview.

On the other hand you’ve got a guy who coaches route running and pass catching for an offense that struggles to pass the ball against former Howard Teachers College, the Charleston school of cosplay, the Terriers of a school 1/3 the size of Kumquat State, something called ETSU and a Virginia team that is among the worst in football history. Maybe this guy gets the job and does great, but it isn’t a no brainer.

If CCH hires from outside does that mean he’s brainless?

CCH is the head of the program. I trust that he'll make the best decision. Literally no one has more at stake in having a good hire at OC than he does.

I just reject the notion that Brian Bratton is somehow not qualified for the post because you didn't like the offensive production last season.
 #48293  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:58 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Bratton at Furman
PC or Josh Stepp would be my pick to be new OC but I doubt either would leave their current positions for Furman. Both played under Hendrix and were likely recruited by him. I just think a former OL would be a fantastic choice to run the CCH offense, or having a former QB would clearly help since we now need a QB coach.

There was a time when the OC at Furman would be considered an upgrade to OC at Lamar. Not sure that’s still true right now.

I don't presume to know what some people value, but Lamar only restarted its football program in the last 10 years, have one 1st round playoff exit to show for it, plays in a conference currently hemorrhaging teams, and had a home attendance averaging several thousand under Furman's this season.
 #48294  by Jasper
 Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:37 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:45 am
I imagine he is still world famous in that part of TN because of his HS record. If he goes up there and starts scoring 50 a game, that will tell us something. Not sure what, but something.

Hard to believe we would promote from within that offense, but we probably will. I’d interview the oc’s of the 5 highest scoring DII’s and hire one of them.
It would tell me that Quarles wasn’t the problem. I don’t think that is the case but will not be shocked if it is. CCH did oversee that offense for several seasons. so is not an innocent.
 #48295  by Jasper
 Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:50 pm
FU3 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:49 am
He may end up being a great HC, a role where he was one of the best ever in the HS ranks. What he did not excel at was being a college OC. Furmanoid is right.. lots of really good young OC talent out there in the lower Divisions that would see Furman as a great opportunity to move up.
That is the exactly right path. There are lots is smart young offensive minds out there who jump at the chance of being the OC at a class program like Furman. Stop the old school tie nonsense and hire the next genius. Let him make his bones at FU and move on in a few years. Go on to the next one. Stop thinking about what experienced guy will “take” the job and sell the promise of vast riches in the SEC down the road. If a guy has been around long enough to be called “experienced”, he’s probably no good. How much has all the experience of the last two HC’s helped the program?
bj93 liked this
 #48296  by FUpaladin08
 Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:38 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:58 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Bratton at Furman

I don't presume to know what some people value, but Lamar only restarted its football program in the last 10 years, have one 1st round playoff exit to show for it, plays in a conference currently hemorrhaging teams, and had a home attendance averaging several thousand under Furman's this season.
Oh wow. I just had to go look up some stuff on Lamar. I didn’t realize they weren’t still in the Southland. I suppose what I’m getting at is how Furman and the strength of the SoCon used to be a much bigger draw than it is now from othe FCS programs. Clearly the WAC is falling apart so PC might actually take the call if CCH wants him. Another interesting thing is the HC at Lamar was OC with CCH at Air Force so that PC connection makes more since now.
 #48298  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:58 am
Jasper wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:37 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:45 am
I imagine he is still world famous in that part of TN because of his HS record. If he goes up there and starts scoring 50 a game, that will tell us something. Not sure what, but something.

Hard to believe we would promote from within that offense, but we probably will. I’d interview the oc’s of the 5 highest scoring DII’s and hire one of them.
It would tell me that Quarles wasn’t the problem. I don’t think that is the case but will not be shocked if it is. CCH did oversee that offense for several seasons. so is not an innocent.
Right. All luck to GQ. however, We DONT want to see Quarles light up scoreboards. If he is scoring more than 25/30 a game at ETSU then there is a deeper problem at Furman. I hope the guy does well (except playing vs FU) but I don’t want to see offensive fireworks at eastern Tenn.
 #48302  by AstroDin
 Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:08 am
I would love to see Patrick back in purple. Papa Covington is here and Patrick's wife's family is from Conway.

The issue to solve though is we need a QB coach…
 #48307  by FurmAlum
 Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:26 pm
Speaking of Tom Knotts. He was a boyhood friend of mine. We both grew up and went to high school in a small town in N.C. Tom's dad played at Duke and Tom's Uncle Bear Knotts played on Duke's 1949 Rose Bowl team. Tom also went to Duke.

I have not seen or talked to him in many years but have kept up with his career. He won 6 straight 6A state championships at Independence HS in Charlotte and then retired and moved to Dutch Fork and has won a bunch there, too. He is one of the winningest, if not the winningest high school coach in N.C. history.

About 10 or 12 years ago, I'm not really sure how many, Tom resigned his H.S. coaching position and went back to Duke as the QB coach, but he only stayed 1 year and returned to high school coaching.

So, I'm not sure he would be interested in coming to Furman as the QB coach. I do know that he is a heckuva coach and a quality person.

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.