#59360  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:05 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:43 am
Davemeister wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:26 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:20 am
I personally think Furman's resume will be strong splitting the last two games of the season. An 8-3 Furman team should be in with two top 20 wins.

An 8-3 Furman team will prolly be considered a 7-3 team since one of our W's came against DII competition. Best not leave anything to chance. If we go to the playoffs, we need to go in with a full head of steam - rather than limp in.

I've seen this argued before, but the DII thing is an oddity.

Furman beat North Greenville, a team with a couple dozen scholarship players. NGU doesn't have a great record, but have played four top 25 DII schools and lost by one score to three of them.

Mercer beat Morehead State. A 2-7 non-scholarship FCS team out of the Pioneer League whose only two wins are over NAIA Kentucky Christian and abysmally bad Presbyterian.

Mercer's win "counts" and Furman's does not.
We can debate until blur in the face. In the end Morehead state counts WAAAAAY more than NGU. Should they? Doesn’t matter. They do. The committee says they do. That NGU game has always scared me
 #59362  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:10 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:07 pm
If the DINS go 8-3, our playoff spot competition IMO:
Idaho - they will finish with only 3 loses
Montana - we need the Griz to take the 4th loss at MonSt
North Dakota - if they beat NDSU in the season finale, they will get a bid at 8-3
Elon - is gonna finish at 8-3
Delaware and Richmond- the CAA is a cluster. One more loss, and Richmond is done. The Spiders still have to play Delaware, and W&M. Delaware could finish with only two losses.
UNH or Rhode Island they play each other this week, the loser is out with 4 losses.
Fordham - Is getting a lot of love due to their QB
NOBODY should get in because their QB is fun to watch. It’s a freakin TEAM - TEAM!!!- game of 25 guys. If someone like Fordham gets in because they have a great QB that’s fun to watch over a more deserving TEAM the committee should be shot. Now I don’t know Fordhams record etc. I’ll look. But never should a team be selected because they have an NFL RB or what have you. No where does the selection rule list say “if a tie we select the team that’s more fun to watch or have an NFL prospect like Cooper Kupp”.
Get in on your own team record or stay home. No one lets an NFL team make the playoffs just because they are a high flying team. They have to WIN

If they (Fordham) get in on merit great .. but they better not get in because the QB is “cool. And I say the same for us. If we have two NFL WRs then we should win games to get in the playoffs. Don’t select us because our WRs are fun to watch. If they are that good then we we should win games
Affirm liked this
 #59371  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:55 pm
Teams get At-Large Playoff bids for reasons other than the overall quality of their Football Team.

FAMU was in the Playoffs last year after their AD and President campaigned vigorously for a bid saying that Rattler Student Athletes deserved an equitable opportunity to gain historic access to the FCS Playoffs. Here’s one such quote from their AD… “He continued, "We're talking about equity, diversity, and inclusion. I think that should be expanded, and I also think that additional access should be given…” https://www.si.com/college/hbcu/hbcu-ne ... s-playoffs

As most objective observers expected, FAMU was destroyed in the 1st round, 38-14, in a game that wasn’t nearly as close as that score, by Southeastern Louisiana, who was completely destroyed 59-20 in Round 2 by JMU. TBH, neither SELA, nor FAMU, should have rec’d bids, if Football Team Quality was the only consideration for the Playoff Selection Committee.

FAMU is already lobbying for a bid again this year https://hbcugameday.com/2022/10/31/famu ... ement-win/ AND if Alabama State beats FAMU this weekend, both schools will be ramping up their marketing campaigns to get a bid. Worked for the Rattlers last year. No reason why it wouldn’t work for both of them this year.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
apaladin, Affirm liked this
 #59375  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:19 am
stonemd wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:08 pm
All 4 teams can be cochamps
Samford 25 scenarios
Chatt 9 scenarios
Mercer 9 scenarios
Furman 7

All 4 teams can still win the autobid
Samford 16 scenarios
Chatt 9 9 scenarios - win out or the crazy 4way
Mercer 6 scenarios - win out and Chatt loses 2
Furman 1 scenario - win out and Samford loses 2, Chatt loses 1 more
If FU wins out, Samford loses 2, FU would not need UTC to lose another to get the auto bid.
 #59379  by AstroDin
 Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:42 am
gofurman wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
North Dakota - if they beat NDSU in the season finale, they will get a bid at 8-3
Delaware and Richmond- the CAA is a cluster. One more loss, and Richmond is done. The Spiders still have to play Delaware, and W&M. Delaware could finish with only two losses.
UNH or Rhode Island they play each other this week, the loser is out with 4 losses.
NOBODY should get in because their QB is fun to watch. It’s a freakin TEAM - TEAM!!!- game of 25 guys. If someone like Fordham gets in because they have a great QB that’s fun to watch over a more deserving TEAM the committee should be shot. Now I don’t know Fordhams record etc. I’ll look. But never should a team be selected because they have an NFL RB or what have you. No where does the selection rule list say “if a tie we select the team that’s more fun to watch or have an NFL prospect like Cooper Kupp”.
Get in on your own team record or stay home. No one lets an NFL team make the playoffs just because they are a high flying team. They have to WIN

If they (Fordham) get in on merit great .. but they better not get in because the QB is “cool. And I say the same for us. If we have two NFL WRs then we should win games to get in the playoffs. Don’t select us because our WRs are fun to watch. If they are that good then we we should win games

GoFU– if you really want to know the buzz out there you need to listen to some of these podcasts - many of them vote in the STATS poll.

FuBear makes a great point about politics… I still remember the raving one FCS journalists made about APP deserving a higher seed than Furman, even after a loss to Furman head-to-head. Leading to the playoff loss in a game played in Boone.

Just wait if UNI finishes with only four losses - you will see people point to their SOS over teams from the East with only two or three losses.
 #59380  by Affirm
 Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:16 am
I believe that, unfortunately and unfairly, “politics” and “fun to watch” and perhaps even “media market” all factor in to the playoff teams selections because of the influence and power of broadcast media.
AstroDin liked this
 #59392  by gofurman
 Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:43 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:02 am
Here's the thing.

There's absolutely zero reason we should lose to Wofford. Mercer's a good team, but we're better than they are too.

Just finish the drill.
Sure. But we shouldnt have to. 2/0 in for sure. 1-1 should be in 70% chance. They damn D2 scheduling. But still SHOULD be in. 0-2 no
Complaints here. No reason 0-2 gets in or should get in

A side bar for just for fans. What if we beat Mercer and lost to Wofford? Vs lose to Mercer and beat Woffird. Which looks better. ? One a much worse loss but one a much better win.

Anyway. Hope we beat Mercer. Chronic has our number though. I think he is 2-0 vs Furman ? Is that right?
 #59393  by gofurman
 Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:49 am
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:42 am
gofurman wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

GoFU– if you really want to know the buzz out there you need to listen to some of these podcasts - many of them vote in the STATS poll.

FuBear makes a great point about politics… I still remember the raving one FCS journalists made about APP deserving a higher seed than Furman, even after a loss to Furman head-to-head. Leading to the playoff loss in a game played in Boone.

Just wait if UNI finishes with only four losses - you will see people point to their SOS over teams from the East with only two or three losses.
Astro I agree it probably factors in. Just saying IT SHOULDN’T.

Similarly, I use to hate when Clemson (so glad they lost to ND) would get a better bowl than say NC State even if NC State was 8-3 and beat CLemson and CLemson was 7-4. The ACC would allow you to skip over a team for a better bowl if you brought more fans. That’s BULLSH*t. If my son played for NC STate how would I explain that he had a better record and beat Clemson but hey they bring more fans so it doesn’t matter what you did on the field. Just the number of fans
 #59397  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:32 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Here's the thing.

There's absolutely zero reason we should lose to Wofford. Mercer's a good team, but we're better than they are too.

Just finish the drill.
Sure. But we shouldnt have to. 2/0 in for sure. 1-1 should be in 70% chance. They damn D2 scheduling. But still SHOULD be in. 0-2 no

A side bar for just for fans. What if we beat Mercer and lost to Wofford? Vs lose to Mercer and beat Woffird. Which looks better. ? One a much worse loss but one a much better win.

Anyway. Hope we beat Mercer. Chronic has our number though. I think he is 2-0 vs Furman ? Is that right?
I don't think Cronic has our number. He hasn't played against this Furman team.
 #59401  by AllTimeFU
 Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:41 pm
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Here's the thing.

Just finish the drill.

PREACH
 #59403  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:19 pm
AllTimeFU wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:41 pm
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Here's the thing.

Just finish the drill.

PREACH

We looked terrible against them last season. No question. They wore us out.

Remember, though, last season Mercer played Furman early in the year. They were coming off an early bye week. They had only played Point and Alabama. Cronic and his offense was still a relative unknown at Mercer.

Furman to that point had already played NCA&T, Tenn. Tech, and NC State. Mercer knew a lot more about Furman and their personnel by that point than Furman knew about Mercer.

That won't be the case this season.

Last year against Mercer, Dom Roberto was still a little-used third string back. We were still bouncing back and forth between Sisson and and a true freshman at QB.

Mercer may well beat us, but I expect Furman will be a good deal better prepared for the Bears than they were last year.
FUBeAR liked this
 #59567  by gofurman
 Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:58 pm
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Here's the thing.

Just finish the drill.

going by logic,... I know we hate that but.. then Cronic has CCH's number - he may not have beaten This FU TEAM but he has beaten' CCH twice I think (2021 confuses me and I am not going to look but I think he is 2-0 vs CCH?). So then the statement stands that until CCH beats Mercer that Cronic has CCH number. That, I will admit to your point, is a more correct statement. And that should be acknowledged until we beat them with CCH.

And, heck, like we say with our Citadel dominance, even if we do win this weekend - which i REALLY REALLY REALLY hope we do - Cronic still has a 2-1 edge for twice as many wins over CCH as we have on them. And if Mercer wins then we have to concede they have our number 3-0 would suffice to say that, especially on a Furman team that is top 20.

Again, I hope Furman gets a win !!! I think it will be tough but is possible
Affirm liked this
 #59568  by gofurman
 Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:02 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:55 pm
Teams get At-Large Playoff bids for reasons other than the overall quality of their Football Team.

FAMU was in the Playoffs last year after their AD and President campaigned vigorously for a bid saying that Rattler Student Athletes deserved an equitable opportunity to gain historic access to the FCS Playoffs. Here’s one such quote from their AD… “He continued, "We're talking about equity, diversity, and inclusion. I think that should be expanded, and I also think that additional access should be given…” https://www.si.com/college/hbcu/hbcu-ne ... s-playoffs

As most objective observers expected, FAMU was destroyed in the 1st round, 38-14, in a game that wasn’t nearly as close as that score, by Southeastern Louisiana, who was completely destroyed 59-20 in Round 2 by JMU. TBH, neither SELA, nor FAMU, should have rec’d bids, if Football Team Quality was the only consideration for the Playoff Selection Committee.

FAMU is already lobbying for a bid again this year https://hbcugameday.com/2022/10/31/famu ... ement-win/ AND if Alabama State beats FAMU this weekend, both schools will be ramping up their marketing campaigns to get a bid. Worked for the Rattlers last year. No reason why it wouldn’t work for both of them this year.
I hear you FUBeAR.. This makes me cringe with disgust. DAMN CRINGE - get in on MERIT or GO HOME !!!!!!!!!!!!.