• Elon

#3521  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:20 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:10 am
gofurman wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:48 am
Getting to watch more Elon USF. Elon RB number 5 is very good. Fast. Gets the edge v USF several times
Elon's running backs are all very similar - (#5) 5-9 201, (#28) 5-8 214, (#33) 5-9 205 they run hard and they're quick.
Furman's backs are quite different - our running backs (6-0 250), (5-11 233), (6-0 229), tailbacks (5-9 185), (6-0 203), (5-9 192). Our big backs run hard and all three can bust a big run. Dirks and Sanders have deceptive quickness. Our tailbacks are fast and shifty - a healthy Morehead is an edge weapon, and after watching the Clemson game I'm really excited about Watkins.

My point - I think we have enough diversity to emulate just about any teams running game in practice. Doesn't mean we'll shut 'em all down, but Staggs as a coach has always schemed run defense's well, as well as passing games.

I have a hunch… but I could be way off here. Against Clemson, we got to their QBs more often than I thought we would, getting two sacks are solid, but I was impressed with the hits on Bryant and Lawerence. I think the DINS have quickly raised defensive speed. Okonya and Seabrook are interchangeable, Seabrook was a hair away from several big plays. The Bandit position is what I want to watch closely, I've always loved Washington and now you have Hope backing him up, Hope got one of Furman's sacks. With those four guys getting in the Clemson backfield, making some big hits and big plays, and missing a few by a whisker, I'm expecting our edge players to put some heat on Cheek, especially if they try to run some long pass plays.
Astro. I agree. I hope that we have increased D speed. We will know more in a few weeks. But I agree. I was a little surprised we got in Tiger backfield as much as we did ..

Also always rather us play v a running team than a passing team. That said... staggs has increased my confidence in our pass D. I used to dread those UMass and App State dink and dunk. Funny thing is I recall Elon passing about 50% vs us. In our games last year. But v USF they were a heavy run team. Maybe it was because of USF speed. I hope they run on most plays today and we can handle it
 #3524  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:12 pm
I watched a replay of the CU game last night. Our secondary was very impressive as they were for the most part right with CU receivers even on completions. McCoy had a great game as did Trapp and several others.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.