gofurman wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 5:55 pm
Paul C wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:23 am
gman wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 10:16 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:35 am
Yes it will count for FU but not for Point. We had the same situation in basketball. I think it was NGU or Southern Wesleyan where they called it an exhibition and FU counted it as a W.
We did not count any exhibition game in basketball as a win. We shouldn’t in football either. The only point in playing Point in football is to get a home game, in front of 2,500 fans. We are not playing the game to get into the playoffs.

I would have agreed with you until last year....
Nailed it. Never forget 2018. Also them Germans and Pearl Harbor ...
And them ETSU Buccaneers. Ambush City.
Furman missed the post season, but it really had nothing to do with whether we scheduled a win over an NAIA team. It had far more to do with surrendering a three-touchdown lead in Johnson City.

We deserved to be in the post season, but opted to leave it up to the committee instead of handling our business. Someone gets screwed every year by leaving their fate to the committee.
I don't think Furman gets in last year with a 7-4 record with a win over an NAIA team because the committee clearly hated us since we weren't even listed among the last few out. But we have got to stop forgetting Lamar in all of this. Only non-conference win was over an NAIA team. Was 1-4 before winning 6 straight conference games to finish 7-4. They got in. So the precedent has been set that if Furman loses its two FBS games, dropped two more to SoCon teams and finished year at 8-4 with a win over Point, that the Paladins should be deserving of a spot in a non-impressive year across FCS.
Maybe but if the committee chair is still from the Southland our chances go way down. Remember they went from a one bid league to a 3 bid league with 2 very borderline teams. Best thing to do is to not leave any doubt. Win the SoCon.
MNORM, fufanatic liked this
 #14177  by apaladin
 Mon May 20, 2019 8:48 pm
At Chattanooga 11/2 is set for 2PM. Still need 4 more away game times: Georgia St, Sammy, WCU and WC.
 #14178  by Flagman
 Mon May 20, 2019 10:07 pm
Western is usually a night game, 7pm
 #14179  by apaladin
 Mon May 20, 2019 10:26 pm
Flagman wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:07 pm
Western is usually a night game, 7pm
True but our game up there is pretty late(Oct. 26) this year. They only had one home game in October last year on Oct. 13th and it was a 3:30 KO. Remember the last time we were up there in the monsoon game it was a 3:30 KO.
 #14497  by apaladin
 Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:36 pm
At Chattanooga is 2PM. Still waiting on game times from Sammy, WCU and Woffy and schedule will be complete.
 #14546  by apaladin
 Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:55 pm
WC game time is 1:30. Still waiting on Sammy and WCU for game times and schedule will be complete. Looks like GSU will the only night game. In fact right now we don't have a game time later than 2PM except for the GSU game. How long has it been since we haven't had a 3 or 3:30 game? Of course WCU will prolly be 3 or 3:30.
 #14956  by Affirm
 Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:26 pm
PAC 12 is looking at having some 9:00 AM (Pacific Time) games. I am not going to suggest 9:00 AM Eastern Time home games for Furman, but I am suggesting consideration be given for starting some games at 11:00 AM or 11:30 AM. Trying something different like that could lead to better home attendance. The game ends by 2:00 or 2:30. People can tailgate after game, or leave to get home early and have time to do something else with the remainder of the day. I know this may be called insane, but it is not an insane idea. It is worth trying, or at least worth considering seriously.
 #14965  by gman
 Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:37 am
affirm wrote:
PAC 12 is looking at having some 9:00 AM (Pacific Time) games. I am not going to suggest 9:00 AM Eastern Time home games for Furman, but I am suggesting consideration be given for starting some games at 11:00 AM or 11:30 AM. Trying something different like that could lead to better home attendance. The game ends by 2:00 or 2:30. People can tailgate after game, or leave to get home early and have time to do something else with the remainder of the day. I know this may be called insane, but it is not an insane idea. It is worth trying, or at least worth considering seriously.
No, this does not need to be considered. It's hard to get students to get out of bed for a 2:00 game. We might have 50 for a game starting at 11:00.
 #14976  by fufanatic
 Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:28 am
affirm wrote:
The only way I would consider that is if ESPN said they would broadcast us on one of their national networks as the first game of the day. Which won't happen, so that's a no go for me. I would think that early of a start time would lower attendance as opposed to increasing it. Unless the thought is more families with small children would come over and get home in time for the afternoon nap ...
gman liked this
 #14996  by Affirm
 Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:58 pm
Just encouraging trying something different. Definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting better results. But I suppose you are right in saying that if there is no incentive in the form of money from ESPN it makes little sense. Maybe we can come up with something else unique to try to make the game day experience more attractive. Other than winning, I do not have any other suggestions. Maybe consistent 1:00 PM kickoffs will be a good thing, and maybe that will be our uniqueness.
 #15002  by CharlieFU
 Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:01 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:07 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:53 pm
Like the 1PM starts but that first one is likely to be a scorcher. Hope for a cloudy day. Second home game is not until 9/21 so it may be hot or may not.
Football in the south in September is hot no matter what time the game is.

I've often thought that the later games were worse in September - the sun bakes all day and it won't get dark until late in the game. Instead of tailgating in the morning, you are tailgating during the hottest part of the day.
Hottest I have ever been was a NIGHT game in Orangeburg vs SC State. A packed stadium. Team with the ball last won—us.
 #15004  by Affirm
 Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:01 am
CharlieFU wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Like the 1PM starts but that first one is likely to be a scorcher. Hope for a cloudy day. Second home game is not until 9/21 so it may be hot or may not.

I've often thought that the later games were worse in September - the sun bakes all day and it won't get dark until late in the game. Instead of tailgating in the morning, you are tailgating during the hottest part of the day.
Hottest I have ever been was a NIGHT game in Orangeburg vs SC State. A packed stadium. Team with the ball last won—us.
A great memory despite the heat. ... Heat is a significant part of college football in the south. ...Also, I agree that it is often possible for a noon or 1 PM kickoff game in September to be “cooler” than a 6 PM kickoff game.
 #15005  by The Jackal
 Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:07 am
affirm wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:01 am
CharlieFU wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

A great memory despite the heat. ... Heat is a significant part of college football in the south. ...Also, I agree that it is often possible for a noon or 1 PM kickoff game in September to be “cooler” than a 6 PM kickoff game.
For me, the issue is not really the game-time temps. It is the lead up to the game.

For a late afternoon kick, if you intend to tailgate, the bugger is that you do so during the hottest part of the day. So yes, by 7-8:00 the game itself is cooler, but that's little consolation when you've been baking outside since 1:00. For me, I'd much rather be tailgating in the morning when even on really hot days it still tends to be cooler (especially in Greenville).

Also, it is less drastic for a home game because at Furman, like many FCS stadiums, the home side faces away from the afternoon sun.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.