• VMI

#79630  by The Jackal
 Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:47 am
KingPaladin wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:40 am
Will we play down to the competition like we did against Cit and ETSU this week?

Furman has played their best in their biggest games.

My guess is the team can smell blood in the water in terms of a high national seed. I suspect they'll be motivated to keep the line moving.
gman84, dornb, Purple rain liked this
 #79632  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:14 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:16 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:46 am
Let's hope we don't struggle at home with a team that lost to awful Bucknell, I predict an easy win even with CJ at QB ;)
VMI is much better now than when they played Bucknell. New Coaching Staff was 'settling in' during the early part of VMI's schedule. They have won or been competitive in every SoCon game except against Mercer.

Also Bucknell just beat Colgate, who just beat Lafayette, who just beat Holy Cross, who darn near beat Boston College, who darn near beat Undefeated FBS ACC Leader / CFP #4 Florida State. Maybe the Bison are not so awful as you say.

Paladins win in a breeze, 24+ point W incoming ;)
cavedweller2 liked this
 #79634  by apaladin
 Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:20 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
Let's hope we don't struggle at home with a team that lost to awful Bucknell, I predict an easy win even with CJ at QB ;)
VMI is much better now than when they played Bucknell. New Coaching Staff was 'settling in' during the early part of VMI's schedule. They have won or been competitive in every SoCon game except against Mercer.

Also Bucknell just beat Colgate, who just beat Lafayette, who just beat Holy Cross, who darn near beat Boston College, who darn near beat Undefeated FBS ACC Leader / CFP #4 Florida State. Maybe the Bison are not so awful as you say.

Wish you hadn’t said that. FU has had an unusual season, 8 wins and no easy games. Even the TTU game was in doubt midway thru the 4th qtr.
Stumpy liked this
 #79638  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:18 pm
apaladin wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

Wish you hadn’t said that. FU has had an unusual season, 8 wins and no easy games. Even the TTU game was in doubt midway thru the 4th qtr.

No worries, this one will be EZ!
 #79639  by The Jackal
 Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:32 pm
apaladin wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

I think there's a difference between "in doubt" with "not a huge margin."

The Citadel, for instance, lost to us by 14. There was an infinitesimally small chance Citadel was going to score 28 points on our defense. The margin, while 14, may as well have been 50 - they weren't coming back.

Only one team since week 3 has managed 20 points against us - Samford. I believe we've surrendered 17 or fewer points in 6 of 9 games.

One comparison I have is to the Kansas City Royals team 10 or so years ago. Those Royals teams had just an outstanding bullpen, and the ball game essentially because a race to the sixth inning. Once the Royals had a lead in the sixth inning, the game was essentially over.

Furman's a bit like that - it's a race to 20 points. Once Furman hits 20 points, the odds of the opponent winning are pretty low regardless of the actual margin in the game.
 #79640  by MidlandsPaladin
 Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:05 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:29 am
Not complaining...an extra half hour to get to G'ville always helps. But do we know why the time was changed? Seems odd to change the time just for Senior Day ceremonies. Unless we are unveiling the new numbers on the fieldhouse too. 8-)
 #79645  by gman84
 Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:09 pm
Honoring 41 guys.
 #79646  by Affirm
 Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:16 pm
gman84 wrote:
Honoring 41 guys.
Honoring 41 guys, plus saluting veterans (although I suppose most of that part is during halftime).
 #79649  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:09 pm
gman84 wrote:
Honoring 41 guys.

Anyone know how many of those 41 could still come back next season?
 #79651  by The Jackal
 Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:33 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:09 pm
gman84 wrote:
Honoring 41 guys.

Anyone know how many of those 41 could still come back next season?
By my count, there are 34 graduate students, redshirt seniors, and seniors on the roster.

I believe there are 16 redshirt juniors, which is usually where you find guys that still have eligibility, but otherwise can graduate.

You may also find some lower classmen that have finished their studies and are moving on.

A few guys may still have COVID eligibility. A few may have medical redshirts. Every year some guys may be recognized at senior day and still opt to return and play out eligibility.

Usually the game notes have a list of who they are honoring.

I think this is the biggest Furman's roster has ever been, so it wouldn't shock me that there's a pretty large crop of players in every class.
 #79662  by apaladin
 Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:10 pm
Wow 41? Don’t ever remember it being over 15 or so, maybe 20 at most. Hopefully it is not as bad as it sounds and some will come back and I am sure there are some that haven’t played a lot that are graduatng but 41 is just unheard of for any team.
 #79666  by apaladin
 Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:29 pm
Maybe it includes support staff etc.
 #79671  by gman84
 Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:51 pm
Pretty sure the 41 are all players. I have no clue as to who could still have eligibility. This is all due to Covid and red shirt changes. Heck we are dressing out over 100 guys for home games and there are several that don’t dress.
 #79672  by The Jackal
 Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:05 pm
gman84 wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:51 pm
Pretty sure the 41 are all players. I have no clue as to who could still have eligibility. This is all due to Covid and red shirt changes. Heck we are dressing out over 100 guys for home games and there are several that don’t dress.
It's 2023 and we still have a player that was a 2017 high school graduate that, I believe, will play in his 50th game for Furman this Saturday.

Eligibility is all over the map these days.
dornb liked this
 #79681  by gofurman
 Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:54 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:10 pm
Wow 41? Don’t ever remember it being over 15 or so, maybe 20 at most. Hopefully it is not as bad as it sounds and some will come back and I am sure there are some that haven’t played a lot that are graduatng but 41 is just unheard of for any team.
AP has a point. We are graduating A TON. Look at the two deep.

From Huff and Pline, Toomey, Johanning, Norman (a ton of the OL !!!) to Kendal Dean, Shifflett, Roberto and Wayne Anderson…. to Barton , Sochovka, Cook, Gilby, Scianna, Chizic, Jalen Miller, Brinson and Hugh Ryan and Blackshear. I think most to all of these are gone

Does anyone know if some of these return. These are all R-seniors and Graduate students. I know Huff bio I think said he was done after this year. You all confirmed this on the board I think. Many guys said they were coming back for this year as they could see the potential… but that could mean several leave. Such as it is.
Are any of the listed guys playing next year? Or any others leaving?

Might be a year for a few extra transfers like Pline who has been stellar!

we are losing the most I have seen in a long while in depth and Quality. Not saying Jones and co can’t win a lot next year but look at the two deep…

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.