#35891  by Furmanoid
 Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:26 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:52 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:30 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:11 pm
I think we are a better team this year than next year. We will really miss Mounce. Generally he has been an amazing player at Furman. Hunter is an under-appreciated floor general and will also be tremendously missed.
Next year looks scary. But if some guys work hard to improve and we get some luck with recruits, who knows? I really think some guys need to get coached up on their 3 shots. And it would be great if somebody could shoot a midrange jumper.
You are NEVER going to see mid range jumpers in this offense. That’s just not in the design
If open 10 footers are forbidden, it’s a stupid offense. They aren’t, and it isn’t.
 #35893  by CharlieFU
 Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:35 pm
I suppose my hyperbole obscured the main point of my post. The offense is clearly designed to emphasize the three pointer and cuts to the basket over 10 foot jumpers.

My never didn’t really mean never. I’m confident FU coaches chart this and could tell us the percentage.
 #35900  by Furmanoid
 Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:18 am
CharlieFU wrote:
I suppose my hyperbole obscured the main point of my post. The offense is clearly designed to emphasize the three pointer and cuts to the basket over 10 foot jumpers.

My never didn’t really mean never. I’m confident FU coaches chart this and could tell us the percentage.
Cuts to the basket are great until the other team shuts them down. 3’s are obviously preferable to long 2’s. But if you are making 50% from 2 that’s usually as good as making 33% of threes (except the 2’s are still better because they are easier to put back). 5-10 footer should be 50% or higher. They just should. I bet you can go out in the back yard make about 70% after a little warmup. But some nights we seem to make about 20%. That’s what I mean.
 #35912  by CharlieFU
 Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:37 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:18 am
CharlieFU wrote:

Cuts to the basket are great until the other team shuts them down. 3’s are obviously preferable to long 2’s. But if you are making 50% from 2 that’s usually as good as making 33% of threes (except the 2’s are still better because they are easier to put back). 5-10 footer should be 50% or higher. They just should. I bet you can go out in the back yard make about 70% after a little warmup. But some nights we seem to make about 20%. That’s what I mean.
We are shooting .494 overall. That number was above 50 before our last to games, I would think.

3's we are .343
 #35915  by Furmanoid
 Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:56 pm
That’s not a bad 3 percentage. It’s 144th. The problem might be that we are 17th in attempts. Those 2 ranks might ought to be closer together. But I’m sure there is some analytics argument to the contrary.

We can’t do much to tighten the defense because we can’t risk foul trouble. No depth.