• Schedule Announced

#23823  by Flagman
 Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:43 pm
Has Good Knight come back from the dead?
 #23830  by Davemeister
 Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:27 am
Would a home game with North Greenville be any worse than our matchup with Point?
 #23831  by The Jackal
 Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:25 am
Davemeister wrote:
Would a home game with North Greenville be any worse than our matchup with Point?
I don't think anyone was interested in playing Point. That was a product of a bye week the final week of the season and having no other options.
 #23837  by fufanatic
 Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:55 pm
Davemeister wrote:
The answer is no (It would be far better) locally, but who cares nationally.
 #23866  by apaladin
 Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:48 pm
Davemeister wrote:
The Point game was strictly out of necessity. It was the only possibility. If you scheduled NG or any other non D1 game it would be by choice and you put yourself at a disadvantage. That is why it won't happen or shouldn't. In an 11 game season you can't afford to schedule a game that doesn't count and give yourself one less opportunity to get a win that does count.
 #24180  by Furmanoid
 Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:08 am
Does it really matter that much? If we aren’t good enough to win the SoCon, we don’t belong in the playoffs. We proved that this year. A game with NG might be kind of neat. It could draw 8 or 9 thousand (combining their average with ours).
 #24181  by Furmanoid
 Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:14 am
Come to think of it maybe schedule Newberry and LR every now and then as an experiment to see if the crowds are actually bigger for those games. If they are, maybe DII is worth a look. We could probably make it to the 3rd round or so every year in the major sports.
 #24192  by cavedweller2
 Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:56 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Does it really matter that much? If we aren’t good enough to win the SoCon, we don’t belong in the playoffs. We proved that this year. A game with NG might be kind of neat. It could draw 8 or 9 thousand (combining their average with ours).
I think it could draw 10,000.
 #24195  by apaladin
 Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:22 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:56 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
I think it could draw 10,000.
I think it would draw 6,000 max. For every NG fan that would come one FU fan would stay home. Don't really understand why everyone thinks NG would bring a big crowd. They certainly didn't when we played them in basketball and I am sure they are not used to paying $25 to get a ticket.
 #24196  by fufanatic
 Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:32 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:14 am
Come to think of it maybe schedule Newberry and LR every now and then as an experiment to see if the crowds are actually bigger for those games. If they are, maybe DII is worth a look. We could probably make it to the 3rd round or so every year in the major sports.
Please stop
Flagman, dornb, din23 and 3 others liked this
 #24204  by Furmanoid
 Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:40 pm
Just saying it’s worth thinking about. The SAC teams might bring bigger crowds because they are close. I don’t feel any special attachment to the SoCon since the Citadel, VMI and Western are all that remain from when I first started watching. And most people think we are in DII now so what’s the difference? Is playing Mercer and ETSU really an ego boost?
 #24222  by apaladin
 Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:41 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:40 pm
Just saying it’s worth thinking about. The SAC teams might bring bigger crowds because they are close. I don’t feel any special attachment to the SoCon since the Citadel, VMI and Western are all that remain from when I first started watching. And most people think we are in DII now so what’s the difference? Is playing Mercer and ETSU really an ego boost?
We've played these type teams in the past. There is absolutely no "boost" in attendance. The goal is to get in the playoffs, playng non-D1 teams is a huge detriment and would put FU at a disadvantage to virtually everyone else in the country. It's the same as a loss so it makes zero sense.
 #24228  by Furmanoid
 Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:20 am
You’re probably right although I can’t think of but one or two data points (PC years ago). I guess I sometimes weary of being like an AA high school that insists on playing AAAA. Basketball was the main reason I would have not considered moving down, but I now accept that we are never going to get close to the Joe Williams good ole days so I’d rather win the DII natty in both sports. I don’t see how that would suck.
Affirm liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.