The Jackal wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:29 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:20 am
So Hendrix in his first 3 years:
8-5 Second round of playoffs
6-4 SoCon Champs
8-5 First round of playoffs

Bottom line, that's all behind us now, the only thing that matters is figuring out a way to beat Wofford in the opener next season

Now in the mean time, let's all get behind this Furman Basketball program!!
It's been a successful first three years, especially after such a dismal period under the prior administration.

I do think that in 2020 the expectations will be higher.
I doubt that very much. I think high expectations after the FBS games has lead to the disappointment with the team's performance in all the big games thereafter. There is no way that this team was a top 10 team this year - at any time.
I disagree. Furman has played for the SoCon title three straight seasons under Hendrix. Hendrix's first recruiting class will now be seniors. The team is talented enough to play for an automatic qualifier to the post season.
I respect your disagreement but I must point out that you are not discounting the fact that the SoCon is a weak league at this point. The expectations for this team this year were clearly beyond doing well in the SoCon and being contenders. I think that is a very low bar for a fan base that talks about past glories and national championships. Up until game time yesterday people were talking about going to California for the second round. I think it will take a while before many people talk like that again. We didn't just lose yesterday. We got embarrassed.
 #21969  by gman
 Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:52 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:54 am
Jasper wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:13 am
The Jackal wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
6-4 SoCon Champs

Bottom line, that's all behind us now, the only thing that matters is figuring out a way to beat Wofford in the opener next season

It's been a successful first three years, especially after such a dismal period under the prior administration.

I doubt that very much. I think high expectations after the FBS games has lead to the disappointment with the team's performance in all the big games thereafter. There is no way that this team was a top 10 team this year - at any time.
I disagree. Furman has played for the SoCon title three straight seasons under Hendrix. Hendrix's first recruiting class will now be seniors. The team is talented enough to play for an automatic qualifier to the post season.
Playing for the SoCon title and being the auto qualifier does not equate to having a good team. Just look to yesterday for proof.
 #21970  by fufanatic
 Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:57 am
Jasper wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:40 am
The Jackal wrote:
Jasper wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
6-4 SoCon Champs

I respect your disagreement but I must point out that you are not discounting the fact that the SoCon is a weak league at this point. The expectations for this team this year were clearly beyond doing well in the SoCon and being contenders. I think that is a very low bar for a fan base that talks about past glories and national championships. Up until game time yesterday people were talking about going to California for the second round. I think it will take a while before many people talk like that again. We didn't just lose yesterday. We got embarrassed.
This is where I’m at, and I’ve said as much multiple times already so why not say it again. My expectation for Furman is to compete for national championships or at least advance deep into the playoffs. I’m a little too young to appreciate the 80s, but I remember vividly the 1996-2006 window. I have zero doubt that we are among the best in the SoCon and I expect us to win the league multiple times over the next 3-4 years. But where does that put us nationally? Can we at least be a quarterfinal team where we win a home game or two home games, and play tough at a powerhouse? Can anyone else step up in the league with us? I really hope so.
dornb liked this
 #21971  by Paladin91
 Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:02 am
fufanatic wrote:
Jasper wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Jasper wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
6-4 SoCon Champs

This is where I’m at, and I’ve said as much multiple times already so why not say it again. My expectation for Furman is to compete for national championships or at least advance deep into the playoffs. I’m a little too young to appreciate the 80s, but I remember vividly the 1996-2006 window. I have zero doubt that we are among the best in the SoCon and I expect us to win the league multiple times over the next 3-4 years. But where does that put us nationally? Can we at least be a quarterfinal team where we win a home game or two home games, and play tough at a powerhouse? Can anyone else step up in the league with us? I really hope so.
There is already chatter of Drew Cronic taking over at Mercer. If that happens, I would expect their program to elevate quickly. He's already taken Lenoir Rhyne to the 3rd round of playoffs in second year there.
 #21972  by gman
 Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:09 am
Paladin91 wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Jasper wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Jasper wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
6-4 SoCon Champs

There is already chatter of Drew Cronic taking over at Mercer. If that happens, I would expect their program to elevate quickly. He's already taken Lenoir Rhyne to the 3rd round of playoffs in second year there.
Cronic is too good for FCS football. He can move up more quickly and make much more money at a high level FBS team. It’s not high level, but S. Carolina needs to hire Cronic today.
 #21976  by youwouldno
 Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:19 pm
fufanatic wrote:

There were already reasons to be skeptical, but yesterday killed the idea of national relevance, at least under this coaching staff.
Affirm liked this
 #21977  by Affirm
 Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:22 pm
gman wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Jasper wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Jasper wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
6-4 SoCon Champs

Cronic is too good for FCS football. He can move up more quickly and make much more money at a high level FBS team. It’s not high level, but S. Carolina needs to hire Cronic today.
If you are saying S. Carolina is not high level FBS, that is ridiculously wrong.
 #21978  by gman
 Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:41 pm
affirm wrote:
gman wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Jasper wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Jasper wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
6-4 SoCon Champs

If you are saying S. Carolina is not high level FBS, that is ridiculously wrong.
With the right coaching staff in place, maybe they can get there. Right now, they are not playing like a high level FBS team. So yes, I am saying S. Carolina is not high level FBS. At best, they are lower than mid level FBS.
 #21983  by Affirm
 Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:59 pm
gman wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:41 pm
affirm wrote:
gman wrote:
Paladin91 wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
Jasper wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Jasper wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
6-4 SoCon Champs

With the right coaching staff in place, maybe they can get there. Right now, they are not playing like a high level FBS team. So yes, I am saying S. Carolina is not high level FBS. At best, they are lower than mid level FBS.
My point is that they ARE high level in terms of resources, facilities, conference, fan support, schedule, history, rival, university, recruiting base, etc. I agree that they occasionally do not perform up to the level they should. Sometimes they do. The potential is easily there.
 #21990  by Bootie
 Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:28 pm
youwouldno wrote:
fufanatic wrote:

There were already reasons to be skeptical, but yesterday killed the idea of national relevance, at least under this coaching staff.
Curious to know what kind of changes you think are necessary to get to national relevance.
 #21991  by youwouldno
 Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:03 pm
Bootie wrote:
Curious to know what kind of changes you think are necessary to get to national relevance.

As I've said, I'm not sure it's possible. It would actually be less discouraging if the issue was Hendrix just not having a clue. But I think he's a solid coach.

The one area where I think Hendrix clearly has erred is in not being more aggressive in finding transfers, and maybe in doing more to encourage guys to move on who aren't contributing. It has not been Furman's way of doing things, but the old way clearly is no longer viable. Going into this season with Grainger and Sisson as the QBs was clearly an error, which many (myself included) suspected before the season.

Generally speaking, it is very difficult for a team to maintain a level of performance far above the level of its conference, at least in the major sports. Yet, at this point that's what is required for any SoCon football team to be nationally relevant. It seems like Hendrix might not realize (or have realized) just how weak the conference has become.
 #21992  by Affirm
 Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:15 pm
Bootie wrote:
youwouldno wrote:
fufanatic wrote:

Returning to relevance in FCS football may be impractical and unrealistic.
 #21993  by Affirm
 Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:30 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Jasper wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
DungeonRealm wrote:
6-4 SoCon Champs

That is only a dream if it does not happen. If the team is so talented, it would have done better in the FCS games it lost this year. I do not see next year being necessarily better.
 #21994  by apaladin
 Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:11 pm
I'm a big supporter of CCH. He has said multiple times this year that he is happy where we are at. He said this as late as last week. Obviously, where we are at is not close to where we need to be to be competitive at this level. Next year? I will say I was much more optimistic after last year than I am after this year. Last year was much more encouraging after finishing strong and wins over WC and Citadel. This year we were not competitive with either and ended the season with a very poor effort and blowout loss. I know it is going to be a long off season for the players and coaches.
 #21995  by dins13
 Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:32 pm
Football team loses football game. Everyone loses their minds.

CCH has this team trending up. First time we have won 8 regular season games since like 2006. Took 2 FBS teams to the brink.

Had a couple disappointing losses, not least the last game.

But goodness folks. Rebuilding a program that had fallen as far as ours has doesn’t happen overnight.

I am excited for 2020 and beyond. And one game isn’t going to change that.

Let’s go Dins!
FUKA61, Bootie, FurmanMom60 and 7 others liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.