• After Game Thoughts

#16623  by Jasper
 Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:22 pm
That earlier play was right in front of us. It may have been a screen. He had two blockers out there with him and the pass was knocked down at the line. If you can take another look and see if might have been a run.
 #16639  by fufanatic
 Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:34 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:12 pm
1) I think FU’s Coaching Staff just may be the best Coaching Staff in the whole united world.

2) FUBeAR hated the double pass call too for all of the reasons mentioned + something I haven’t seen mentioned...

3) We showed it earlier in the game, but a procedure call blew it dead before the WR ‘showed’ the 2nd pass...but FUBeAR saw it being set up...and I guarantee that GaSt’s Coaching Staff in the box saw it too. Sure they may be anklebiting yardyappers, but they ain’t entirely stupid. No doubt, they radio’d down to watch for that later after they saw it & made their DB’s doubly aware to watch for the double pass.

4) See 1) above - FU Coaches musta seen something that they REALLY liked about the way GaSt defends the hitch pass & felt they could still get a home run ball over the Panthers even after showing it earlier. They too knew that GaSt Coaches had seen it earlier, but they still thought it would work.

5) Execution was clearly No Bueno...I’m sure the WR Chunker had been Coached to BAIL OUT by just running the ball or throwing the ball out onto Hank Aaron Blvd. if the WR Chunkee was not wide-a open. But...y’know...live bullets....everybody has a plan until.....and all that.

6) See #1
Excellent point. When the ball was knocked down I definitely was convinced we were trying to do a WR pass. Had forgotten about that play until you mentioned it.

Also, another play I had forgotten about until I started watching the game again yesterday ... when Wynn got absolutely lit up on the first drive right before our first TD, I'm not sure on what planet that was a forward pass. He appeared to be at least a yard if not more behind Grainger when the ball was pitched. Not going to argue because it worked out nicely for us, but I was very confused. Can anyone offer a clarifier on that one?
 #16674  by gofurman
 Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:21 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:12 pm
1) I think FU’s Coaching Staff just may be the best Coaching Staff in the whole united world.

2) FUBeAR hated the double pass call too for all of the reasons mentioned + something I haven’t seen mentioned...

3) We showed it earlier in the game, but a procedure call blew it dead before the WR ‘showed’ the 2nd pass...but FUBeAR saw it being set up...and I guarantee that GaSt’s Coaching Staff in the box saw it too. Sure they may be anklebiting yardyappers, but they ain’t entirely stupid. No doubt, they radio’d down to watch for that later after they saw it & made their DB’s doubly aware to watch for the double pass.

4) See 1) above - FU Coaches musta seen something that they REALLY liked about the way GaSt defends the hitch pass & felt they could still get a home run ball over the Panthers even after showing it earlier. They too knew that GaSt Coaches had seen it earlier, but they still thought it would work.

5) Execution was clearly No Bueno...I’m sure the WR Chunker had been Coached to BAIL OUT by just running the ball or throwing the ball out onto Hank Aaron Blvd. if the WR Chunkee was not wide-a open. But...y’know...live bullets....everybody has a plan until.....and all that.

6) See #1
agree - that whole let's try the double pass... it got blown dead so they are now aware of it.. let's try it AGAIN (when it is supposed to be a 'surprise' play).. very odd. And yes, the thrower needs to learn a lesson - NEVER throw that pass unless that guy is wide azz open. Just eat the ball and run for a loss. odd call / worse execution
 #16677  by Jasper
 Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:58 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:39 am
Totally agree. When you think about it the only time GSU stopped us is when we went conservative at the end of the half and the start of the second half. Our worries about QB are no more. Give any QB all day and he will complete passes.
Did we ever blitz?
Yes, we did. Picked up every time. The only time it worked was on a Spur blitz by Jordan Willis that was stopped by and infraction before he leveled the QB.
 #16682  by gofurman
 Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:19 pm
Jasper wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:58 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:39 am
Totally agree. When you think about it the only time GSU stopped us is when we went conservative at the end of the half and the start of the second half. Our worries about QB are no more. Give any QB all day and he will complete passes.
Did we ever blitz?
Yes, we did. Picked up every time. The only time it worked was on a Spur blitz by Jordan Willis that was stopped by and infraction before he leveled the QB.
Give their OL credit where credit is due. We tried to blitz - not much but some.. we have Adrian Hope.. we couldn't near that QB .. as they say, the game is won in the trenches and those OL (like ours) were well coached and deserve credit. We couldnt get by them to the QB. We got to RBs in the backfield on occasion but not the QB. 0 sacks won't get it done - as we said going in, I figured they are top 5 FCS. I leave that game feeling that offense definitely is. That QB OL and WRs would win most every FCS game - now their D would put them in some shootouts vs top FCS ( like us and our game)