• Baseball Dropped (Updated)

#28773  by apaladin
 Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:27 pm
Still waiting on that flood of schools dropping sports. Where is it? Where are all the other SoCon teams announcing they are dropping sports??? Not happening. Furman is in that boat all by themselves. A decision they will live to regret.
Sad Din liked this
 #28949  by Paul C
 Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:44 pm
The long sad and disappointing trend of people only paying lip service to Furman baseball seems to be continuing as a group of motivated and well meaning folks work to save the program.

After gathering 13,313 signatures on the petition to "Save Furman Baseball", only 111 have put their money where their mouth is and contributed to the Go Fund Me campaign.

This lack of meaningful engagement is why we are where we are....
 #28951  by bigpurple75
 Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:17 pm
Not entirely true. Many individuals who signed the petition gave money, me included. However, at this point, I . as many others, view this attempt at being mostly futile. When the administration is totally against any attempt to resurrect the program, why should anyone try??

I have more questions about the leadership and direction of Furman now than I ever have had. Several issues, and some are sitting in Madame President's lap. Sorry, that is the way I see it. And I could be much more elaborate, but what is the point? Nuf said.
MetroMizzy liked this
 #28953  by Paul C
 Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:01 pm
bigpurple75 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:17 pm
Not entirely true. Many individuals who signed the petition gave money, me included. However, at this point, I . as many others, view this attempt at being mostly futile. When the administration is totally against any attempt to resurrect the program, why should anyone try??

I have more questions about the leadership and direction of Furman now than I ever have had. Several issues, and some are sitting in Madame President's lap. Sorry, that is the way I see it. And I could be much more elaborate, but what is the point? Nuf said.
kudos to you to being one of the 111.

You are one of the ones I feel truly terrible for.
 #28963  by apaladin
 Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:50 pm
I gave when I signed the petition and also gave when I received the new go fund me campaign. Per the page $55k has been raised in 24 hours, a good start but a long way to go toward the million dollar goal in a month. The answer to a question on the page said the administration had not closed the door and a meeting with JD was taking place once a week to assess progress. If you can please give.
 #28968  by tya1
 Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:42 pm
I don't know if it has been mentioned here but Bowling Green Univ. has announced that they will keep their baseball program going. They got commitments from alumni and friends for 1.5 million dollars over the next three years and reinstated baseball after after just a few weeks.
 #28986  by JohnW
 Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:46 am
I think we should remember that salaries were cut, staff was furloughed, this was a stabilize the budget move. Not some nefarious plan to de-emphasize sports, not a plot to cover up financial mismanagement. The school took a massive hit to it's revenue. That's it. Time to quit disparaging President Davis. The university profile has improved across the board under her leadership, including athletics.

But if baseball is all you care about, a couple of million dollars is not going to solve the problem. Unless someone can write a check to endow baseball it's gone. Now my hope is when there is a vaccine, a treatment, when Covid really is just like the flu, Furman can bring baseball back. Right now I'm worried about the fall season happening. If it doesn't look out.
fufanatic, ccoates, paladinfan12 and 1 others liked this
 #29016  by Sad Din
 Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:57 pm
After careful consideration deleted post.

Was too truthful, to the point and meaningful.... nevermind
 #29028  by bigpurple75
 Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:50 am
sad din,
Please do not be intimidated by anybody on this thread, or for that matter, the uffp as a whole. You have every right to post what you are thinking and feeling. Trust me, I could have written a book about this subject, but it will not serve any real purpose. Decision made. I just feel as if Madame President sold the Furman Community short in her attempt to find other workable solutions. Again, my thought.

Just so everyone on this board will now know, I have discussed the baseball situation with over 50 alumni, including a couple of Board Members. Most of which were former athletes, and all of which are pretty successful. Simply put, not the love of Furman some of them might have once had. Only about 4 were ok with the change, and some of that was guarded, if you will.

JohnW, not meaning to pick on Davis, but she IS the president. SHE made the decision with the board and I will always believe that other solutions could have been found. I realize the complexity involved, as several other factors led to the decision. But I am not going to support her just to support her. If you do, that is your right.
apaladin, freebird, FGT and 2 others liked this
 #29058  by Sad Din
 Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:01 pm
Bigpurple75, thanks very much. Really appreciate your response. Here's the dilema ...most of the folks on this board bleed purple. Some eat, sleep and dream purp.
There's a ton of stuff that could be said about the situation but at what point does it start hurting recruiting, admissions, reputation, etc. The disappointment is huge from various angles. What would make matters worse is a recruit not choosing FU due to something said. So thats why I bite my tongue. Its a curse I know....
apaladin liked this
 #29065  by bigpurple75
 Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:51 pm
Sad Din
We all say some stuff on here we probably regret. In comparison to most boards, we are fairly tame. Sometime events happen nd we just have to vent some. We all will live through this, but it does sting some.
Sad Din, apaladin liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.