• The 2020 Season

#29356  by apaladin
 Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:54 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:26 pm
I'm actually more confident we will have a football season...There's literally no risk to football players in optimum health...A serious head or neck injury are a much higher risk for a college football player than COVID-19
Agreed but with Furman’s current leadership I could see FU being the only SoCon team to opt out of the football season.
 #29357  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:44 am
Not from me but a good example of media fear mongering:
WYFF reported 2 nights ago that the COVID 19 had hot spots in the Upstate. They related the hot spots to the cities and hospitals with the highest % of beds in use. AnMed of Anderson was singled out as the worse case in the state with 94.2% of beds/rooms in use. Most of our attention span doesn’t make it past this point.
But, they continued the story by interviewing the Hospital Chief of Staff and asked him the reason for the spike. He went on to explain that 94 % only represented the rooms they currently make available due to supply and demand. In other words, AmMed may have 200 rooms, but they only staff 100 rooms and 94 of these rooms have patients in them. He said this helps them save money as they did not need to staff all rooms, but they could if needed. Now, we just went from 94.2% capacity to 47.1%.
Now it gets even better. He told WYFF that of the 94% of rooms in use, Only 6% were related to COVID.
Now, go back and read the beginning again. Tell me we are not witnessing a conspiracy to hype this virus.
 #29358  by Roundball
 Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:57 am
apaladin wrote:
WYFF reported 2 nights ago that the COVID 19 had hot spots in the Upstate. They related the hot spots to the cities and hospitals with the highest % of beds in use. AnMed of Anderson was singled out as the worse case in the state with 94.2% of beds/rooms in use. Most of our attention span doesn’t make it past this point.
But, they continued the story by interviewing the Hospital Chief of Staff and asked him the reason for the spike. He went on to explain that 94 % only represented the rooms they currently make available due to supply and demand. In other words, AmMed may have 200 rooms, but they only staff 100 rooms and 94 of these rooms have patients in them. He said this helps them save money as they did not need to staff all rooms, but they could if needed. Now, we just went from 94.2% capacity to 47.1%.
Now it gets even better. He told WYFF that of the 94% of rooms in use, Only 6% were related to COVID.
Now, go back and read the beginning again. Tell me we are not witnessing a conspiracy to hype this virus.
Okay. We are are not witnessing a conspiracy to hype the virus. The virus is the hype, now killing over 120,000 people. Wear a mask and social distance so we can watch some football and basketball this fall.
Getting discussion of the season back on track, how about football in February? https://volswire.usatoday.com/2020/06/3 ... ification/
 #29359  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:45 am
I guess the biggest problem with Feb would be the lack of recovery time before the next season. But I’d watch for sure. I was one of the 40 or 50 people glued to the XFL every week.
 #29360  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:05 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:45 am
I guess the biggest problem with Feb would be the lack of recovery time before the next season. But I’d watch for sure. I was one of the 40 or 50 people glued to the XFL every week.
Have no interest in football in the winter time. February is basketball time. Too cold to be outdoors, not so much around here but the further north you go.
 #29366  by Paul C
 Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:19 pm
As we learn more, the plot thickens....

https://www.wakehealth.edu/Coronavirus/ ... s-and-Data

This study has over 18k people enrolled, mostly from the central Piedmont of NC. And overall 12-14% have tested positive for the CV anti-body, but in the link you can see the graph, and the current group is approaching 17%. Remember that the anti-bodies, depending on the type, don't show up for 2-6 weeks after infection.

So what does this mean?

Let's make some leaps of logic here.....If you extrapolate this sample to all of NC, which is reasonable, and assume 15% of the pop of NC has the antibody (and the infection at some point), and there are 10m people in NC, then it's reasonable to conclude that 1.5m North Carolinians have had the virus at some point.

Well, the current testing data shows 66k TOTAL cases in NC since the pandemic began, with 1, 376 deaths.

So, are we really seeing an increase in cases, or just an increase in CONFIRMED cases???

and if we stick with that 1.5m total cases (remember, per CDC we know 30% to 50% are asymptomatic and a majority of the rest are mild) then 1,376 deaths out of 1.5m cases is an infectious fatality rate less than 0.1%.

Hey, I might be missing something here, and of course this isn't what I do for a living, but just connecting the dots.

One last interesting tidbit. There was an academic paper published last week in Spain that claimed to have detected COVID in sewage samples from March '19. That is being questioned, and we will see what a thorough review uncovers, but then there is this little tidbit from Brazil....

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 20140731v1

"Our results show that SARS-CoV-2 has been circulating in Brazil since late November 2019, much earlier than the first reported case in the Americas (21st January 2020 in the USA)."
apaladin, fupaladin01 liked this
 #29368  by FU3
 Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:07 pm
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01738-2
16 June study Nature

"Data from early in the pandemic overestimated how deadly the virus was, and then later analyses underestimated its lethality. Now, numerous studies — using a range of methods — estimate that in many countries some 5 to 10 people will die for every 1,000 people with COVID-19. “The studies I have any faith in are tending to converge around 0.5–1%,” says Russell."

One of the first studies to account for the effect of age was posted on a preprint server last week. The study, based on seroprevalence data from Geneva, Switzerland, estimates an IFR of 0.6% for the total population, and an IFR of 5.6% for people aged 65 and older.

This is 5 to 10X the death rate of the flu...with no vaccine to prevent to spread. In some good news early Pfizer vaccine trials showed promise.
 #29370  by Roundball
 Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:50 pm
I will repeat myself. It's simple folks. Wear a mask. Social distance. Otherwise, no sports. Gov. McMaster just reminded us that his EO includes no spectator sports. As long as the numbers keep spiking, the EO will not be lifted. He specifically said, that means no high school football and no college football in this state. Does not get any clearer than that.
QCGlue liked this
 #29371  by The Jackal
 Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:21 pm
Roundball wrote:
I will repeat myself. It's simple folks. Wear a mask. Social distance. Otherwise, no sports. Gov. McMaster just reminded us that his EO includes no spectator sports. As long as the numbers keep spiking, the EO will not be lifted. He specifically said, that means no high school football and no college football in this state. Does not get any clearer than that.
Georgia's governor is doing a state-wide mask push (that he won't order). He said that if you want football, wear a mask.
QCGlue liked this
 #29372  by Fred Garvin
 Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:50 pm
apaladin wrote:
Ride down to the lower end of White Horse on Sunday at noon.....you will see the spread in action.....no social distancing or precautions at a packed like sardines White Horse Rd Flea Market each Sunday followed by rising numbers on Tuesday.......
 #29373  by Fred Garvin
 Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:55 pm
Roundball wrote:
South Carolina has a testicular fortitude problem with the Guvnah as well as Jerome Singleton in the SCHSL office. Henry is afraid of ticking off whitey by mandating a shut down of all travel baseball invading each weekend. He doesn't have the guts to mandate shutting down the AAU dribblers because he will be labeled a racist. 7 v 7 football clubs are invading each weekend as well.....Myrtle Beach was crawling with Little Chippers from the USSSA U10 left handed Dirt Dogs division last weekend but high school coaches are being treated like Dr. Mengele for wanting to actually introduce a football to their sessions....
 #29374  by Roundball
 Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:58 pm
Fred Garvin wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Ride down to the lower end of White Horse on Sunday at noon.....you will see the spread in action.....no social distancing or precautions at a packed like sardines White Horse Rd Flea Market each Sunday followed by rising numbers on Tuesday.......
Go past the community pools on the eastside of Greenville. Same thing. Rich or poor. Does not matter. People are ignorant.
 #29375  by Roundball
 Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:28 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:21 pm
Roundball wrote:
Georgia's governor is doing a state-wide mask push (that he won't order). He said that if you want football, wear a mask.
 #29376  by FU3
 Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:07 pm
Fred Garvin wrote:
apaladin wrote:
After you get done there swing back out toward Lowe’s on Poinset and follow that up with a short trip to the Walmart in TR. Packed like mullets, no social distancing and not a mask to be found... sure glad that hill air on this side of town prevents the virus.
paladinfan12 liked this
 #29378  by apaladin
 Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:26 pm
I am really beginning to believe we won’t have Furman football this season. Cases will continue to rise because people are getting tested for no reason. If you are feeling fine why get tested? At one time they were saying you could have it with no symptoms and still spread it. Now they are saying that most don’t spread it. If you get tested and test negative it doesn’t mean you want get it the next day, if you test positive what are you going to do? You can’t go to the doctor, you’re going to be told to stay home. Then you worry yourself to death and die from a stroke or heart attack. Then you have all the false positives. I know first hand of a company that a had a person test positive, jumped though all the hoops. The positive person had close contact with several others. No one else tested positive, now they are saying the original test was wrong, imagine that. People that have no symptoms should not get tested. It really does no good.