• CBS Sports has Furman and UNCG in the latest 68 team Bracketology. Last 4 In

#11968  by Fessor
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:33 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:58 am
Oklahoma lost to #10 WVU tonight to go 19-13. Bet they are still in.
The old days when there were no at-large bids suddenly seem to make a lot more sense. No formulas; no algorithms. Decide it on the court. It's really simple: if you don't win your conference, then you're not in. In Furman's case, if you can't beat UNCG and Wofford, then you don't deserve to play for a national championship. Think of the conference tournaments as the first round of the national championship tournament. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

You wouldn't have 13 loss teams or .500 teams playing in late March, unless they won their conference tournament.

And if you think that the recipient of a conference's auto-bid should not be left up to the vicissitudes of a 72-hour tournament, then give the conference bid to the regular season champion.
 #11969  by The Jackal
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:53 am
Fessor wrote:
apaladin wrote:
The old days when there were no at-large bids suddenly seem to make a lot more sense. No formulas; no algorithms. Decide it on the court. It's really simple: if you don't win your conference, then you're not in. In Furman's case, if you can't beat UNCG and Wofford, then you don't deserve to play for a national championship. Think of the conference tournaments as the first round of the national championship tournament. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

You wouldn't have 13 loss teams or .500 teams playing in late March, unless they won their conference tournament.

And if you think that the recipient of a conference's auto-bid should not be left up to the vicissitudes of a 72-hour tournament, then give the conference bid to the regular season champion.
Of course, that theory exists where money probably isn't a factor. The format of the tournament is financially motivated as much as anything.
Fessor liked this
 #11974  by Fessor
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:31 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:53 am
Fessor wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Of course, that theory exists where money probably isn't a factor. The format of the tournament is financially motivated as much as anything.
Correct.
Worrying about missed class time stopped being a concern as the $$ exploded.
Alternatively, have everyone .500 or better play in the tournament.
 #11981  by CharlieFU
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:31 am
Fessor wrote:
apaladin wrote:

1. I think they ought to regulate this by a rule that requires invitees to have at least a .500 record in their conference--and i have suggested this to Mike Buddie.

2. Turning back the clock to a field of 32 aint gonna happen due to the money--as pointed out by others. But there are systemic things that can be done--see above
Fessor liked this
 #11990  by Fessor
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:34 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
2. Turning back the clock to a field of 32 aint gonna happen due to the money--as pointed out by others. But there are systemic things that can be done--see above
Agreed, but I couldn't think of a post suggesting tweaks to the current system that used "vicissitudes".
 #11993  by FUBeAR
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:58 pm
Fessor wrote:
CharlieFU wrote:
Agreed, but I couldn't think of a post suggesting tweaks to the current system that used "vicissitudes".
Long ago, when FUBeAR played hoops, if the Coach felt we needed our vicissitudes adjusted, we ran ‘Suicides.’
Fessor, furpop16 liked this
 #12011  by gman
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:55 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:58 pm
Fessor wrote:
CharlieFU wrote:
Long ago, when FUBeAR played hoops, if the Coach felt we needed our vicissitudes adjusted, we ran ‘Suicides.’
I remember my 9th grade coach making us run suicides until we threw up, after giving us way too many salt tablets. I can still see that awful scene in my mind. Sorry rascal.
 #12014  by apaladin
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:12 pm
They should make it a maximum number of losses say 12 or 13. There will be at lest 3-4 teams in this year with 14 or 15 losses. Ridiculous. .500 in your league is not hard. Clempson is a good example. They beat the #5 and #7 teams in their league and had 7 wins against losing teams to go 9-9.

FWIW Virginia beat NC State by 20.
 #12021  by MidlandsPaladin
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:49 pm
What Lunardi said about the Paladins: “If I were to rank the at-large candidates in the Southern Conference, I would actually place (UNCG) ahead of Furman because they beat them in the conference tournament for one thing, And, two, they finished two games ahead of them in the regular season. So I think that part would be easy.

“So in Furman’s case, what you’re really saying is there would have to be three teams from the Southern Conference for them to make it. And I think if we’re honest with ourselves, we know that’s not going to happen.”
 #12022  by Paladin91
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:03 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:49 pm
What Lunardi said about the Paladins: “If I were to rank the at-large candidates in the Southern Conference, I would actually place (UNCG) ahead of Furman because they beat them in the conference tournament for one thing, And, two, they finished two games ahead of them in the regular season. So I think that part would be easy.

“So in Furman’s case, what you’re really saying is there would have to be three teams from the Southern Conference for them to make it. And I think if we’re honest with ourselves, we know that’s not going to happen.”
Agreed, Furman had the opportunity to take care of business against UNCG. Probably would have gotten in with a finals loss to Wofford. UNCG has a better case to go to the tournament beating FU 2 out of 3 times and a better record. LSU also beat FU by a wider margin than UNCG in outside league head to head. No way is the SOCON getting 3 teams in. Two at most.