• (10-10) UTC @ (15-4) Furman Jan. 24th

#9437  by apaladin
 Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:50 pm
El Guapo wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:17 pm
This conference will be decided in the tournament where anybody can win. Furman just needs a good second half to their season in order to get the bye. I think its anybody’s championship come March.
Yep, but the way it looks right now WC will have a little less pressure on them as they know they will go to the NIT if they fail in the tourney.
 #9438  by MidlandsPaladin
 Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:54 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:09 pm
And Samford chokes not once but twice as they stumble and fumble around and blow it again in overtime, Woff wins by 1 at buzzer
First go-round through conference play Wofford plays 6 of 9 at home. Second go-round through conference play they play 6 of 9 on the road. Their luck is about to change.
Fessor, dornb, furman88 and 1 others liked this
 #9441  by tya1
 Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:00 pm
I suppose the term "workmanlike" applies to our win tonight. Just a solid game on both offense and defense. No big runs by either team. A lot of that is due to Chattanooga's style under their second year coach. He came from an assistant's job at Wisconsin and has brought that same grind it out style to Chattanooga. They don't make a lot of mistakes (or try not to) and make you work to earn your points.

The Paladins can play that way too, though. We did a great job on Easley, their freshman star. He had scored in double figures in their previous seven games, averaging about 16 ppg, and was this week's SoCon player of the week. In fact, Chattanooga's top three scorers totaled only 16 points.

All five Furman starters hit 50% or better.
FUKA61 and 1 others liked this
 #9444  by fufanatic
 Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:16 pm
We say this every game, but Rafferty is something else. Stat line was something like 15,10,6,6. Amazing how often he does that. Vision is amazing. He will make a lot of money overseas if he so chooses upon graduation. Loved the way Lyons played tonight. Didn’t force up a lot of bad shots. Shot 50% or so. Played within himself. Hope this is a template for the rest of his year. Gurley was great. Awesome team win, never seemed in doubt.

Watched last several minutes of Wofford game and wanted to break my TV. Why Samford didn’t hold the ball at end of regulation up 3 and wait for a foul I’ll never know. Wofford as of now has that team of destiny feel with back to back buzzer beaters. Hopefully someone will bring them down to earth soon.
FUKA61, dornb, AstroDin and 1 others liked this
 #9447  by apaladin
 Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:48 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:16 pm
We say this every game, but Rafferty is something else. Stat line was something like 15,10,6,6. Amazing how often he does that. Vision is amazing. He will make a lot of money overseas if he so chooses upon graduation. Loved the way Lyons played tonight. Didn’t force up a lot of bad shots. Shot 50% or so. Played within himself. Hope this is a template for the rest of his year. Gurley was great. Awesome team win, never seemed in doubt.

Watched last several minutes of Wofford game and wanted to break my TV. Why Samford didn’t hold the ball at end of regulation up 3 and wait for a foul I’ll never know. Wofford as of now has that team of destiny feel with back to back buzzer beaters. Hopefully someone will bring them down to earth soon.
It was a good win and MR is just flat out good. WC is like CU I'm afraid. Hard to get that horseshoe out of their butt. It's buried pretty deep. If a couple of shots fell our way we would be tied with WC instead of 3 behind.
 #9461  by MNORM
 Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:28 am
Slawson...so much upside. It's easy to mentally peek into the future and imagine Slawson, Mounce and Gurley driving SoCon defenses nuts with their length and athleticism.
It was good to see both Mounce and Gurley score in the post a few times last night. I love that both of them can shoot the 3, but establishing that inside game opens up more opportunities for guys like Hunter, Brown and Lyons to shoot open 3s.
 #9462  by PaladinPower
 Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:30 am
MNORM wrote:
Slawson...so much upside. It's easy to mentally peek into the future and imagine Slawson, Mounce and Gurley driving SoCon defenses nuts with their length and athleticism.
It was good to see both Mounce and Gurley score in the post a few times last night. I love that both of them can shoot the 3, but establishing that inside game opens up more opportunities for guys like Hunter, Brown and Lyons to shoot open 3s.
Add Tre Clark, too! Yikes! Scary good.
 #9463  by MNORM
 Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:35 am
PaladinPower wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:30 am
MNORM wrote:
Add Tre Clark, too! Yikes! Scary good.
No doubt. But Tre is more of a 2 or small 3. I'm more referring to the three "bigs" (6'7"+). There is no doubt in my mind we can have all three of these guys on the court at the same time next year. Watch Slawson on defense...guy gets LOW in his defensive stance and can keep up with most guards. These three are all hybrid players (think Kevin Durant) who can play both inside and out. Traditionally, we don't have these types of players at Furman. It's really exciting. The tricky part will be defending the 6'10" - 7'0" guys...we did an excellent job of it last night. Rafferty will be tough to replace...maybe the toughest to replace we've seen in years.
Last edited by MNORM on Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FU03times liked this
 #9464  by Jasper
 Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:53 am
If Rafferty is not the POY on the SoCon, he is at least in the top 3.
Solid floor game from Hunter last night. - improving each game
Like Lyons going to the basket more - that threat will open up more uncontested 3's
Excellent minutes from Slawson - could be a dynamite defender
Solid, steady 21 minutes from Brown
Great defensive intensity from the whole team.
FUKA61, FU03times and 1 others liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by cavedweller2

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.