• Elon Game Thread

#3567  by Jasper
 Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:19 pm
It's pretty hard to imagine Furman playing a worse half of football. Everything that can go wrong, has. Fumbles, penalties, dropped passes, missed assignment on both sides of the ball. I don't think anyone saw this coming. Apparently the concern that many of us felt following the final scrimmage a few weeks ago was justified. Although the defense is not playing well, the offense is of major concern. None of the deception, multiple sets, etc. that we showed last year. Was that all the work of the now departed OC or QB? No one seemed to think so. I cannot understand how we can go an entire quarter w/o throwing a pass against a team that gave up a ton of yards and scores in the air last week. Is there a reasonable explanation for that? Well, I guess things cant get any worse so lets hope for a dramatic turn around in the second half.
Last edited by Jasper on Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaladinDad liked this
 #3568  by sluggo
 Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:22 pm
Elon is so much better than Clemson; so it seems.

:shock:
Davemeister liked this
 #3570  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:55 pm
Furman football has become pee wee football

How many people are gonna show up next saturday for the home game against colgate? 1,500?
 #3571  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:58 pm
I'm not sure I can recall a more embarrassing effort/loss. If there is one I don't want to recall it. Did you hear that loud pop? That was the Furman Football Excitement Balloon exploding!
 #3574  by FU3
 Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:18 pm
"It's pretty hard to imagine Furman playing a worse half of football."

We are trying. Didn't see this coming especially on D Watched some practices last week and we spent a lot of time working on our passing game running the play action of our option. We have not run it once this game. Does anyone know when Roberts can play ? He took a decent amount of reps during the week. This team has way to much talent for a performance like this and the buck stops with our staff.
 #3575  by CharlieFU
 Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:20 pm
I can take a loss to a good team early in the season, but not like this.
 #3576  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:24 pm
So now 2 TD's in 8 quarters and both came in garbage time
 #3577  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:30 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:55 pm
Furman football has become pee wee football

How many people are gonna show up next saturday for the home game against colgate? 1,500?
I'll be there next week but this is BSh$t.

Even our announcers are saying Elon is being very nice and not throwing ... It's honestly like an FBS v FCS BEATDOWN (as I say this the backup QB makes is 45-0 ). They aren't throwing. WTF is going on here? This is one of the top 3 Furman worst games I have ever seen in terms of execution and effort.

This is back to the pre-Hendrix era of our 5 OL can't block the 3 DL that Elon is rushing. NO EXCUSE for that. They are rushing 3 or 4 guys and we have 5 OL who can't give our QB time to throw ?

And as bad as our play - especially on O -- then our announcers said they felt we didn't bring much effort. Bad execution and lack of effort too ???

In many cases our tackling is far worse than it was v Clemson. Sorry but I am just baffled. For having our guys - especially OL - now with an extra year of CCH tutelage you wouldn't know it

It does concern me that we lost an Offensive coordinator and Schmidt at Center and Blaze and people said it wouldn't matter.

People said our QB doesn't matter in this offense but I don't get that - I mean experience always matters. The same guy is better as a senior than a freshman. And Cmon - some guys are just better than others. I get the point - that the system can be tailored to allow any guy to possibly flourish. That maybe Reese Hannon coulda done better in this system than the one he was running. But you still need experience and some guys are more accurate passers than other - we are going to need some passing game. And better OL work

Just embarrassing that we were a joke for Elon. This was a FBS v FCS Score
Jasper liked this
 #3578  by Affirm
 Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:34 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:09 pm
The only saving grace for this season is I think the SoCon is really bad so we might be somewhat competitive in the conference.
The SoCon is really bad. Unfortunately, I am not at all sure we will be very competitive in SoCon. Also, Elon may not be as competitive in CAA as they probably appear to be presently. This is sad.
 #3580  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:38 pm
Thorny wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:06 pm
Fine, we look bad.

Season/game is not over though.
The game is. Thankfully

I am long-term but most games we may lose but we try and give effort. The announcers said players were hanging heads in second quarter. I have no idea what I just saw.

Not being snarky. i am not. Jackal and FUBeAR etc - those of you who can diagnose plays a what did you see ??? I mean a redshirt freshman should know enough of playbook we .can throw the ball some more than that to back Elon from stacking up vs our run? Hell, Elon QB is a true soph I think. Anyway, what did you all see.

Thanks for insight
 #3581  by sluggo
 Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:45 pm
There is no point in continuing to discuss quarterbacks because the entire offensive blocking is terrible.
It just doesn't matter who the QB is because blocking is so terrible.

The QB spends the entire game running for his life and the running backs are met with a clogged up lane every time.

Maybe the defense is sluggish and that would be a sign of too much running in practice, or practice is too long.
When Dick lost 5 in a row, he cut the practice time down and things turned around.
 #3582  by Jasper
 Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:50 pm
Everybody have a drink ( or two ) and go to bed. We will solve it all in the morning.