• Post game summary and questions

#44920  by apaladin
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:57 am
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:04 am
My point is...Just enjoy it for what it is...There's no need to critique every stat in wins....Wins are supposed to be fun...Let it take that natural place...,I love stats and history but ultimately whatever stat or anomalies I find are just that...I am not a coach...so when I find those things...the only thing to do is point them out...Facts don't need criticism to further color them negatively...no enlightened poster has pointed out something riveting on here that an staff at Furman hasn't already addressed so why point it out in the first place.
Then why have a message board? :D
 #44923  by AstroDin
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:24 am
Your right Apaladin - message boards are for fans.
You and me. And fans come in all kinds of flavors.

That said—this is a public forum and we don't need to be calling one another a liar, or accusing coaches of not being concerned with winning, etc. We all have a right 'currently' to say whatever we want to until we don't.

Maybe it's just me being sensitive or having my radar tuned for it—London Lewis isn't the first Paladin player that mentions we're not listening to what everyone is saying, we believe in ourselves.

This is a board for all of us, and we all need to take a chill every now and then when we're disappointed, frustrated, or angry at each other (me included).

The worst-case scenario is the board becomes a poison pill and loses any sense of relevancy. My fear is it's already on that path.
gman84 liked this
 #44925  by Furmanoid
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:10 am
So maybe we aren’t very good. We don’t really look very good. But we may very well find out over the next few weeks that you don’t have to be very good to win the SoCon as long as you get some breaks. I think it best to just concentrate on the conference and stop thinking about the playoffs. The days of making runs deep into the playoffs may be behind us, but ANYBODY can win this SoCon and that would be a pretty fun achievement.
 #44926  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:03 am
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:24 am
Your right Apaladin - message boards are for fans.
You and me. And fans come in all kinds of flavors.

That said—this is a public forum and we don't need to be calling one another a liar, or accusing coaches of not being concerned with winning, etc. We all have a right 'currently' to say whatever we want to until we don't.

Maybe it's just me being sensitive or having my radar tuned for it—London Lewis isn't the first Paladin player that mentions we're not listening to what everyone is saying, we believe in ourselves.

This is a board for all of us, and we all need to take a chill every now and then when we're disappointed, frustrated, or angry at each other (me included).

The worst-case scenario is the board becomes a poison pill and loses any sense of relevancy. My fear is it's already on that path.
Players are mentioning it. The Wofford broadcast mentioned how unhappy Furman fans were during that game. People read this stuff.

Look, I wouldn't trust some of the posters on this forum to make my grocery list much less dissect a college offense.

To me, I'm just tired of years of wave after wave of negativity.

The team is 4-2. They have a shot at a conference title. Everyone needs to lighten up.
din23, DeepPurple liked this
 #44927  by gman84
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:55 am
Football is entertainment for us fans. It is a business for the athletic departments. I don't have the time to hyper analyze every aspect of every game. That's the job of the coaches. No team is perfect. The most important stat is the final score. If people have the time and desire to crunch the details, have at it. I'll take the W's and enjoy them one week at a time. That's all my brain can currently process. :D
Davemeister, AstroDin, DeepPurple and 1 others liked this
 #44928  by youwouldno
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:56 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:08 pm
No one on here is "happy" with the offensive production. Literally everyone on here is seeing the same thing. We watch the games. We get it.

At the same time, we can't get a player at the trade deadline. There's no free agency. We aren't firing a coach midseason. There's no transfer window during the season. We have the coaches and players that we have.

The difference is the "perpetually dissatisfied" would rather sulk and whine than look at the fact that Furman is 4-2 and tied for first in the SoCon. You'd rather look at the average yardage than look at the win total.

You will not, of course, ever mention that the defense is probably the best in the league. You will not highlight that the offense scores more points than the defense surrenders. You will forget the 90 yard run and 58 yard pass in the first quarter and focus only on the inability to move the ball in the 3rd quarter.

It isn't that most of us are "optimists" or satisfied with mediocrity or know the coaches, but that most of us want to enjoy Furman football without a group of you bellyaching about something every 15 minutes.

I've praised the defense on many occasions. I think Vaughn is doing a fantastic job and am impressed across the board with personnel, scheme, etc. Actually that's the main thing that bothers me about the offense - imagine where the Paladins could be if that was also a strength. And offense should be the easier side of the ball. In year 5 of a coaching regime, you just can't have an offense underachieve like this and pretend there's no issue. It's not "pessimism" to make note of reality.

When it comes to the past, sure, 'a win is a win' for the most part (not entirely because margin impacts both computer and poll rankings, which are used in the at-large and seeding processes). But the discussion is often around the future - what to expect in the next game, or for the rest of the season. Take ETSU for instance - last week they were sitting at 6-0 with a high ranking, yet neither of us was overly impressed, and I predicted they would lose multiple games over the remainder of the season. The past and future are different things.
 #44938  by soconjohn
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:30 pm
Exactly echo those points...I don't care how wins come about...they are wins...Wins are always good to me...Furman is a good football team...They have weapons on offense and big time playmakers on defense...I went to nearly every preseason practice...I think I have seen enough to know they're pretty good...I don't need stats or what they show
Me to prove that...I guess it's probably my own fault for responding to some of these posts that seem just so negative and they serve really no purpose for a team that is right in the mix for a league title....everyone is entitled to their opinions of course but from now on, I'll just stay away from reading the football side...Too much bad mojo for me when things are going pretty well all things considered...I think Furman is pretty good...If I am wrong, I have no problem being called an idiot...been called far worse lol...So it's no big deal .now, have fun posting....I'll just eat some popcorn🤣
DeepPurple, AstroDin, Sir William and 2 others liked this
 #44939  by Furmanoid
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:45 pm
I just got around to watching the game. I thought we looked pretty good. I guess JW’s stat sheet didn’t look great but I thought he looked pretty good overall. I didn’t understand the switch in the 4th quarter. Was JW hurt? Overall impression is that our offense can be pretty good with the right play calling. Just run and throw easy passes. A few short months ago it was a complete dumpster fire. I’ll take a qualified pretty good. The defense is real. It almost seems like they relish the challenge of having to win the game. So we’ll see.
 #44940  by DeepPurple
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:56 pm
Our true Freshman QB will get his 3rd start this week. Hopefully, we will get Wynn back this week. The citadel W may not look pretty but will do a lot more for morale than a BIG Stat week and an L.
dornb liked this
 #44941  by gman84
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:03 pm
DeepPurple wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:56 pm
Our true Freshman QB will get his 3rd start this week. Hopefully, we will get Wynn back this week. The citadel W may not look pretty but will do a lot more for morale than a BIG Stat week and an L.
Exactly, just ask Thompson about stats. :lol: He's still losing sleep over that game that his team statistically dominated.
DeepPurple, dornb, FUBeAR and 1 others liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.