• FCS Final

#23916  by fufanatic
 Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:29 pm
The other thing about NDSU I found interesting is that they had 2 transfers on their roster this year - including a QB from Iowa State that couldn't get on the field because of how good Lance was. So they are the absolute definition of building a program by recruiting and developing. I have no doubt that many FCS schools in the country can develop (Furman included), I'm just not so sure that many FCS schools in the country have the recruiting advantages that the Bison do. But it does make me feel better that it is possible to win titles without FBS transfers.
 #23924  by Affirm
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:12 am
fupaladin01 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:33 pm
James Madison is a public university.

I agree with the above points about NDSU's geographical advantage. Were Furman in a more rural area, devoid of National champion-caliber programs and countless other D-I schools, maybe recruiting gets easier... on the other hand, maybe even fewer hard working, intelligent, goal-driven students apply because we're in the middle of nowhere.

I look at schools like Elon, Richmond, Samford, and Wofford, who have had success in the the past 20 years and are working with much the same advantages/disadvantages as us. I suspect coaching and fully funded programs are the keys to success. That, and landing 1-2 big recruits that carry your program for a few years e.g. Devlin Hodges, Scott Riddle, Eric Breitenstein- and then riding that momentum enough to land a few more in subsequent years.

As for the coaching and funding pieces, I feel like we're in good shape. Hopefully some of these heralded recruits exceed our expectations.
With Schar money at Elon, Robins money at Richmond, and Richardson money at Wofford, and with the fact that the first 2 of those universities are bigger than Furman, I have the impression that Elon, Richmond, and probably Wofford as well have the advantage of being better funded than Furman. I don't know the situation at Samford, though Samford is bigger than Furman. (Mercer also is bigger than Furman.) Furman needs better funding if we are going to compete to at a high level. Furman needs a Schar, a Robins, a Richardson (someone with contributions like those); or we need several of them. Without that, we are going to need to satisfied with the level of competitiveness that we now are, or below that, instead of always thinking we are going to move up because some of us want to. And if we do not have that major funding, then I will continue to say that Pioneer Football League is an option.
 #23925  by Affirm
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:14 am
fufanatic wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:25 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:33 pm
James Madison is a public university.
Thank you! I confused myself and didn't research fully. I'm going to update my previous post.
JMU was previously a private university. They became a state university about 40 years ago.
 #23926  by cavedweller2
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:49 am
JMU was founded as" Harrisonburg Normal and Industrial School for Women".
 #23927  by Mr. Taggart
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:38 am
Even with the Richardson money, Wofford is not nearly as well funded as Furman. It is not close.
 #23928  by AstroDin
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:02 am
Since CCH has become head coach Furman has received two separate million-dollar endowments…

Bobby Johnson Head Coach Fund:
https://news.furman.edu/2017/07/31/foot ... lion-gift/

Offensive Coordinator Fund:
https://news.furman.edu/2018/01/11/anot ... l-program/

also, this is going on:
https://furmanpaladins.com/sports/2019/ ... -fund.aspx

p.s. just noticed this on the picture of CBJ coaching some Paladins - one of the helmets shows the battle-ax reward decals. I brought up that idea to Terry Bradley and thought noway CBJ would do it — well he did. I think we're close to having a team that has the legit honor to wear the Death Dealer again…
Last edited by AstroDin on Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
MNORM, QCGlue liked this
 #23929  by sluggo
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:04 am
A lot of good suggestions in here; some are complicated.

Here is something simple : Stop running QB's off the team by switching them to WR.

Running off the only QB who had won a game the previous season made zero sense to me and
does zero to help recruit the next QB.

Hearing the complaints about QB play this season was like a comedy of fools who shot themselves in the feet
then wondered why they couldn't run fast.
 #23931  by AstroDin
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:11 am
sluggo wrote:

Here is something simple : Stop running QB's off the team by switching them to WR.

Running off the only QB who had won a game the previous season made zero sense to me and

Hearing the complaints about QB play this season was like a comedy of fools who shot themselves in the feet
to your first point, some are complicated same goes for your points about JeMar Lincoln. And, I don't see any signs of a problem recruiting a QB. Coaches appear to be picky - we have an offer or two out there right now - guess we will see what comes of it.
 #23932  by sluggo
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:25 am
AstroDin wrote:
sluggo wrote:

I don't see any signs of a problem recruiting a QB.
I see signs of whining about QB play.

:D
 #23933  by sluggo
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:33 am
AstroDin wrote:
to your first point, some are complicated same goes for your points about JeMar Lincoln.
It's not complicated to me that JeMar should have started the Clemson game.
It's real simple what happened.
 #23934  by sluggo
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:35 am
How do people fix problems that the simply don't want to hear?

Answer : They don't.
 #23936  by Affirm
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:51 pm
Mr. Taggart wrote:
Even with the Richardson money, Wofford is not nearly as well funded as Furman. It is not close.
Well, I guess a lot of our funding must go to sports other than FB and basketball - sports in which Wofford is much more competitive against us than they should be if our funding in those is even equal to Wofford’s, not to mention is ours is far better funding.
 #23938  by MNORM
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:36 pm
affirm wrote:
Mr. Taggart wrote:
Well, I guess a lot of our funding must go to sports other than FB and basketball - sports in which Wofford is much more competitive against us than they should be if our funding in those is even equal to Wofford’s, not to mention is ours is far better funding.
Pick your poison. We consistently beat Wofford in the Commissioner's and Germann Cups. Wofford spends all their resources on two sports...and it shows. What do you prefer we do? Aside from joining the Pioneer......
 #23939  by apaladin
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:41 pm
Pretty sure Furman has the highest athletic budget in the SoCon. It’s not always about money.
 #23940  by Affirm
 Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:05 pm
MNORM wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:36 pm
affirm wrote:
Mr. Taggart wrote:
Pick your poison. We consistently beat Wofford in the Commissioner's and Germann Cups. Wofford spends all their resources on two sports...and it shows. What do you prefer we do? Aside from joining the Pioneer......
Do well in both those Cups AND beat Wofford more than we do now in FB and in basketball. But IF necessary to pick, then I’m OK losing to Wofford in FB and basketball as long as we always do better than Wofford in both those Cups.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.