#77319  by AstroDin
 Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:32 pm
dornb wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:17 pm
I have a suggestion. Maybe we should not have a game thread, where people post after every bad or good play. Games have their own ebbs and flows. if people could refrain from commenting throughout the game, and post only at halftime or after the game, many negative comments would be eliminated. We might then have a much more positive board.
Great point… I never post during a game.
dornb, FUBeAR liked this
 #77321  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:37 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:05 pm
List of injuries?
Offense.
Starting OG 51 Petit left game. No knowledge. I think 65 Huntley came in for him
Starting WR Harris 2. Someone said upthread his family said he was ok

Defense.
3 starting DB Brinson didn’t play at all as far as I could tell
Starting DL 40 Stephens? Maybe left the field. On tv I couldn’t tell
Starting LB 44 Luke Clark. Maybe. Again on tv so hard to tell. One of these last 2 guys fell to ground on very last defensive play 😕
 #77322  by FUTex
 Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:01 pm
There are so many negative & sour comments on this thread (from just a few posters) I am now depressed. You see, I thought the Paladins had won. I saw the entire game, and felt pretty good about it. I was really proud of our players and coaches. Then I got home and read this thread, and it was only then that I realized we must have lost. What a letdown.

On a positive note, I saw CCH call the ol' pell mell play twice. I love that play.
FUBeAR liked this
 #77323  by FUBeAR
 Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:09 pm
dornb wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:17 pm
I have a suggestion. Maybe we should not have a game thread, where people post after every bad or good play. Games have their own ebbs and flows. if people could refrain from commenting throughout the game, and post only at halftime or after the game, many negative comments would be eliminated. We might then have a much more positive board.
Sure, but how many more dogs do you want to get kicked?
dornb liked this
 #77333  by AllTimeFU
 Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:18 am
gofurman wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:37 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:05 pm
List of injuries?
Offense.
Starting OG 51 Petit left game. No knowledge. I think 65 Huntley came in for him
Starting WR Harris 2. Someone said upthread his family said he was ok

Defense.
3 starting DB Brinson didn’t play at all as far as I could tell
Starting DL 40 Stephens? Maybe left the field. On tv I couldn’t tell
Starting LB 44 Luke Clark. Maybe. Again on tv so hard to tell. One of these last 2 guys fell to ground on very last defensive play 😕
51 out for the year.
 #77344  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:23 am
The jackal, Mrs. Jackal, Jackal, Jr., and Jackalette made the drive over yesterday for the game and were treated to a beautiful day and hard fought football game between two teams.

My thoughts on the contest:

1. Everyone has to remember Samford had everything on the line in this game. They were playing at home. We're their biggest game on the schedule. A loss basically eliminates them from any discussion of repeating as SoCon champ or even making the post season.

2. Our defensive front seven was incredible. 11 tackles for loss and 9 sacks. Samford averaged 1.5 yards per rush attempt. It's hard to imagine a more dominant effort in that department by the defense.

3. It's not only the number of pressures that was impressive, but that those pressures came from everywhere. 7 players credited with a sack and 9 players with a TFL. That's effectively the entire front seven depth chart playing in Samford's backfield. Defense just kept answering the bell.

4. My only quibble with the defensive effort was the first drive and giving up a long pass play, though it was a beautiful throw from Hiers. After that, the only frustration was Samford's last scoring drive where our defense kept forcing third and fourth downs and just couldn't get off the field.

5. Offensively, we had a good day. After watching Samford/Wofford, I thought the Terriers had a lot of RPO-type throws open against the Bulldogs they just couldn't seem to hit. Furman hit those throws. By the fourth quarter, Roberto was starting to find a lot of running room.

6. It took Huff a little time to settle down on his throws, but once he did, he was really throwing the ball well. The catch by Ferguson was outstanding. A few times we tried to hit deep throws, but they never materialized and were well covered by Samford.

7. The offense just couldn't seem to deliver the haymaker in the second half. We had Samford on the ropes and opportunities to put them on the mat, but couldn't land that final punch to finish them. Credit to them, though. They weren't going to go quietly.

8. The offense really helped things out, though, in playing keep away. We ran 71 plays to Samford's 79 (remember, Samford's entire offense is built around running as many plays as possible), held the ball for 5 minutes longer, put up more yards than Samford, etc. We really controlled the pace of the game and made Samford play our type of football game instead of us playing theirs.

9. Samford's offense only made it into the redzone twice. Again, outstanding.

10. I had noticed this during the game, but just looked up the number - Furman's first four drives started at their on 7, 15, 10, and 1 yard line. Great fight by the offense to go into the half with the lead when 4 of the 5 offensive drives in the half were basically in the shadow of your goal posts.

11. Samford fans were griping about the referees. I didn't see any grave miscarriages of justice on any plays in real time.

12. I still think the best is yet to come for this group.
dornb, FurmanATT liked this
 #77358  by AllTimeFU
 Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:41 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:23 am
The jackal, Mrs. Jackal, Jackal, Jr., and Jackalette made the drive over yesterday for the game and were treated to a beautiful day and hard fought football game between two teams.

My thoughts on the contest:

1. Everyone has to remember Samford had everything on the line in this game. They were playing at home. We're their biggest game on the schedule. A loss basically eliminates them from any discussion of repeating as SoCon champ or even making the post season.

2. Our defensive front seven was incredible. 11 tackles for loss and 9 sacks. Samford averaged 1.5 yards per rush attempt. It's hard to imagine a more dominant effort in that department by the defense.

3. It's not only the number of pressures that was impressive, but that those pressures came from everywhere. 7 players credited with a sack and 9 players with a TFL. That's effectively the entire front seven depth chart playing in Samford's backfield. Defense just kept answering the bell.

4. My only quibble with the defensive effort was the first drive and giving up a long pass play, though it was a beautiful throw from Hiers. After that, the only frustration was Samford's last scoring drive where our defense kept forcing third and fourth downs and just couldn't get off the field.

5. Offensively, we had a good day. After watching Samford/Wofford, I thought the Terriers had a lot of RPO-type throws open against the Bulldogs they just couldn't seem to hit. Furman hit those throws. By the fourth quarter, Roberto was starting to find a lot of running room.

6. It took Huff a little time to settle down on his throws, but once he did, he was really throwing the ball well. The catch by Ferguson was outstanding. A few times we tried to hit deep throws, but they never materialized and were well covered by Samford.

7. The offense just couldn't seem to deliver the haymaker in the second half. We had Samford on the ropes and opportunities to put them on the mat, but couldn't land that final punch to finish them. Credit to them, though. They weren't going to go quietly.

8. The offense really helped things out, though, in playing keep away. We ran 71 plays to Samford's 79 (remember, Samford's entire offense is built around running as many plays as possible), held the ball for 5 minutes longer, put up more yards than Samford, etc. We really controlled the pace of the game and made Samford play our type of football game instead of us playing theirs.

9. Samford's offense only made it into the redzone twice. Again, outstanding.

10. I had noticed this during the game, but just looked up the number - Furman's first four drives started at their on 7, 15, 10, and 1 yard line. Great fight by the offense to go into the half with the lead when 4 of the 5 offensive drives in the half were basically in the shadow of your goal posts.

11. Samford fans were griping about the referees. I didn't see any grave miscarriages of justice on any plays in real time.

12. I still think the best is yet to come for this group.
Great thoughts as usual by The Jackal.
 #77359  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:48 am
4th quarter, game on the line, ball in the hands of one of the nation's best QBs, Samford's season on the line, on the road, and this is what our defense put together:

1st and 10 at SAM10 Samford drive start at 03:22.
1st and 10 at SAM10 No Huddle-Shotgun Hiers,Michael pass incomplete short left to King,Ty.
2nd and 10 at SAM10 No Huddle-Shotgun Hiers,Michael pass complete short left to Rias,DJ for 1 yard to the SAM11 (Maier,Alex).
3rd and 9 at SAM11 No Huddle-Shotgun Hiers,Michael rush left for 13 yards gain to the SAM24 (Robinson,Micah), 1ST DOWN.
1st and 10 at SAM24 No Huddle-Shotgun Hiers,Michael pass complete short middle to King,Ty for 10 yards to the SAM34 (Chizik,Cally), 1ST DOWN.
1st and 10 at SAM34 No Huddle-Shotgun Hiers,Michael rush right for 3 yards gain to the SAM37 (Furman) PENALTY SAM Illegal Use Of Hands (Byrne,Luke) 10 yards from SAM34 to SAM24. NO PLAY.
1st and 20 at SAM24 No Huddle-Shotgun Hiers,Michael sacked for loss of 6 yards to the SAM18 (Barton,Jack).
2nd and 26 at SAM18 No Huddle-Shotgun Hiers,Michael pass incomplete short left to Smith,Chandler.
3rd and 26 at SAM18 No Huddle-Shotgun Hiers,Michael pass incomplete short right.
4th and 26 at SAM18 (00:57) No Huddle-Shotgun Crittendon,Quincy sacked for loss of 4 yards to the SAM14 (Jackson,Jeremiah).

I hope Hiers is ok. He took a big shot on that 3rd down play.
 #77368  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:02 pm
Jackal, that was an excellent game recap. You covered all the highlights. I too hope the best is yet to come for this team. If this team puts everything together at one time, somebody better look out. Let’s hope it comes next Saturday.
dornb liked this
 #77369  by Bootie
 Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:07 pm
I feel like we got a gift of a pass interference call at one point late. I would’ve been steaming if I was a Sammy.
 #77370  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:22 pm
Bootie wrote:
I feel like we got a gift of a pass interference call at one point late. I would’ve been steaming if I was a Sammy.
I thiught the same bootie, IIRC it kept a drive alive.
 #77372  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:48 pm
Bootie wrote:
Assuming we are talking about the same play, it was a third and 10 in the third quarter. Huff threw a long pass to Ethan Harris.

Not sure what it looked like on TV, but in real time it appeared clear pass interference. Harris ended up in single coverage against a Samford DB, ran a post/flag route and the Samford defender grabbed him to keep him from making the break to the outside.

It probably was a TD pass without the interference. Harris had a step on him in single coverage. That drive ended up with a missed field goal attempt, so it probably benefitted Samford in the end - exchanged a likely touchdown throw for a missed field goal.